80 series wheel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4him.org
Hey guys, asking this here as I figured 80 series guys would know! I picked up a set of rims from a 97 last weekend for my 4Runner. Three of them are chrome, and one of them is the polished (Believe it was the spare of the truck they came off of). I've been looking around trying to see if I could find another Chrome one but they seem rare? Was the chrome an odd ball option or something?

I want to paint them Bronze, so I don't know if having one polished vs the chrome will matter anyway after sanding/primer/paint. But I want a matching spare, so if I could start with a 4th chrome on the ground, that would be great.

Thanks for any insight!

OK, the back of the polished looks like this:

Chrome:

The markings on the back are identical between the two, I did notice the front doesn't have "Toyota" or the size stamped on them, they are totally smooth chrome. The Polished rim does have this...

Thanks for the help.

Just realized how crappy the pic of the chrome rims look. I'll get a better tomorrow in the daylight, but the markings are the same.

The casting marks are identical, but the chrome wheels don't show Toyota on the front?
That means it was ground off, probably by whoever chromed them. There should also be a funny looking JWL mark on the face somewhere. If that isn't there, someone definitely ground it off.

If you are going to paint them, that chrome might be a problem. Sticking paint to chrome doesn't always work so well.

Show us pictures of a chrome wheel too, please.
There is an aftermarket treatment, one of which is called gChrome, which could be the actual finish too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom