80 series Aisin factory winch locking up under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

Whilst out on a trip a few weeks ago I managed to get the 80 stuck in a tricky hole with sucking porridge in the base an a near verticle 12inch step out.

So I ran out the Factory Aisin winch an proceeded to attempt to winch out. The ting is the winch loaded up and slowed to a near stall. Figuring it was a bit much and that I would revert to a double pull I then attemped to reverse the winch.

I could hear the solenoids by the winch wouldn't reverse. So I couldn't unload the winch. I was with a convoy of vehicles and in the lead so couldn't be easilt pulled foward. Luckily back in the convoy was a BJ71 with pto winch that managed move up the convoy and go around me. Eventually I got out with my winch pulling in pluse the PTO double pull.

So it was a nasty pull and I have no problem with the factory winch stalling. What gets me is that it wouldn't unspool. It does powerout with out heavy load.

I have previously stripped down the winch and I am familiar with the innards. It has a one way clutch brake system with an over ride clutch for reverse. My understanding is that the clutch is released a cam/screw action when the motor is reversed.

I have heard of others with the same issue here in NZ but have anybody elese experienced this. Is it a know fault, Is there a solution?

I was considering adding "power-up" which is an oil additive to the atf fluid to make the clutches splip better, but i am not sure.

Thoughts?

There's your solution. Trade that beast in for a BJ71. :flipoff2:

Forgot it's the PTO winch that saved the day. BJ71 wouldn't have been able to do without the PTO. Only issue I've had with a PTO winch is not watching cable and it binds up on the drum.

Forgot it's the PTO winch that saved the day. BJ71 wouldn't have been able to do without the PTO. Only issue I've had with a PTO winch is not watching cable and it binds up on the drum.

I wasn't talking about the winch, I was talking about "a BJ71 ... managed move up the convoy and go around me", which implies it got past the spot where he got stuck in the first place.

You must have missed my signature, I already have a VJ40 with PTO but it doesn't fit the family very well as the rollcage gets in the way of the rear seats. And I used to own the BJ71 that went around me.

Back to the issue at hand. this is what the reverse clutch looks like. It cams back releasing the clutches but either the motor doesn't have enough torque to cam out the clutch or it is binding....

IMG_0830.JPG

You must have missed my signature, I already have a VJ40 with PTO but it doesn't fit the family very well as the rollcage gets in the way of the rear seats. And I used to own the BJ71 that went around me.

Back to the issue at hand. this is what the reverse clutch looks like. It cams back releasing the clutches but either the motor doesn't have enough torque to cam out the clutch or it is binding....

IMG_0830.JPG
hi mate, im only 3 hours from you in oamaru, and you seem to be going down the same road as me, my hdj81 has the same problem, you last posted 5 years ago on this subject.. have any luck since? mine wont wind out load or no load... ive thrown it into neutral and then winch in but the day will come when i will be up the creek with out a paddle im sure, thanks

hi mate, im only 3 hours from you in oamaru, and you seem to be going down the same road as me, my hdj81 has the same problem, you last posted 5 years ago on this subject.. have any luck since? mine wont wind out load or no load... ive thrown it into neutral and then winch in but the day will come when i will be up the creek with out a paddle im sure, thanks
Greetings,

I still have the same winch, though on a newer 80#, I haven't had the winch completely lockup in a couple of years but I am very aware of the potential for it to so tend to not load it up to the same extent, and if its going to be a hard pull I double line it. In short I don't really trust it completely.

What you are describing sounds like its an electrical issue with the solenoids not reversing the current. Be aware if you have a factory winch these winches are permanent magnet DC motors so are wired differently to most winch motors. They are simpler. Have a listen when you reverse the winch to see if you hear the solenoids clicking. If they don't it could be a sad solenoid or a bad contact in your remote. If they do click it could still be a bad contact in a solenoid.

Good luck

found the problem, the base plate the winch is mounted on, has a slight bend, its enough to stop the screw drive sliding freely to let the friction plates slip, not to attempt straightening it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom