Builds 78 Mustard Yellow FJ40 #Tiger40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah but just think: with all your toil and heartache at least you will be shrinking carbon footprint. :) Good luck on your final one.

Thanks guys! I know it is out of the ordinary to go backwards and get the smog equipment on, but I already have one car that is beyond all of that. It's been sitting in the garage for years because smog is such a hassle...

11.jpg

IMG_7238.jpeg

Last edited:
Crazy seeing all of this re-smog work and where you are at. I ran through (in detail) each component of the 78 smog/vacuum system. A lot of work, but very satisfying.
I had serious issues removing the air injection plugs: Builds - 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-us-market-fj40-factory-restoration.1084111/page-16
I had to rebuild the air pump: Builds - 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-us-market-fj40-factory-restoration.1084111/page-17#post-13272109

Keep up the good work.

Crazy seeing all of this re-smog work and where you are at. I ran through (in detail) each component of the 78 smog/vacuum system. A lot of work, but very satisfying.
I had serious issues removing the air injection plugs: Builds - 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-us-market-fj40-factory-restoration.1084111/page-16
I had to rebuild the air pump: Builds - 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-us-market-fj40-factory-restoration.1084111/page-17#post-13272109

Keep up the good work.
I've been through your thread when I first got the land cruiser, but I totally forgot to double back for reference! Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check it out for more info on re-assembly 👊

Reading through your thread gives me some inspiration for my 40 project! Also made me miss living in Big Bear! Fun seeing it from someone else's perspective. 😎
Thankfully these 40's are relatively simple machines, but like you said in your thread, sometimes you question your sanity lol

The city is awesome throughout the year, but it's the traffic on the crazy weekends that can ruin it sometimes. We stay at my father-in-laws cabin in sugarloaf.

Aaaaand the first order of parts for this deal start rolling in. @cruiseroutfit Heat riser block off plate to prevent the intake manifold crack plus a couple other things to make shipping worth it ;)

111.jpg

Remflex gasket set and an order of other bits from @ToyotaMatt should come in next.

Thankfully these 40's are relatively simple machines, but like you said in your thread, sometimes you question your sanity lol

The city is awesome throughout the year, but it's the traffic on the crazy weekends that can ruin it sometimes. We stay at my father-in-laws cabin in sugarloaf.
One of the reasons I left was the traffic and the amount of people up there on the weekends! Colorado is more spread out hahahaha

One of the reasons I left was the traffic and the amount of people up there on the weekends! Colorado is more spread out hahahaha
I’ve landed ar grand junction and driven to Moab. It is a very beautiful place out there!

Last edited:
Amazon shipped this remflex gasket set in an obnoxiously large 6ft box lol. Anyone need the older style heat riser gaskets?

View attachment 3555350

the last 2
( separate occasions many weeks apart ) i purchased the 2F TOYOTA GENUINE Parts Exhaust Manifold Gasket from my local dealer here in town ..

- it was indeed a REM-FLEX ( STYLE - TYPE ) media ......

- the first time i noticed a shift in TOYOTA Genuine Parts direction 2F related , of any hint of this to come REM-FLEX Technology , in a OEM TOYOTA Part was these 2 rascal's below ...:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

- the REM-FLEX brand of TOYOTA offerings , including LAND CRUISER anything models , was brought on the Land Cruiser scene i recall clearly by

👑 His Excellency 👑 : The late Marv Spector / Spector OFF Road ... 🍻

- the first one i ever installed i purchased from SOR .....

- i have Never wavered from this New wonderful Goodness called REMFLEX ............i have never had a issue or call back ever .......

- i always have also applied the Modern use of Modern JIS OEM Japan Spec. Fastener Technology too , ..

- i firmly believe , my own personal and professional shop-installed by the FSM Step by Steps long term product and performance service life results thus far are indeed related without any doubt whatsoever .....

/
1707626914789.png

1707626867101.png

1707626881120.png
1707626901110.png

You'll be just fine once you get the smog bits on, just make sure the air pump is functioning because the exhaust needs strong air pushing into the exhaust to clean up the emissions reading. You'll see it when you get the smog readout.

Also to save yourself a lot of headache, get some stock sized tires on the rear to change your gearing back to stock, that helps a lot as well.

I used to full desmog then resmog every two years with my 60, its a simple process once you understand it. Just be sure to use nickel antiseize on everything.

Last edited:
You'll be just fine once you get the smog bits on, just make sure the air pump is functioning because the exhaust needs strong air pushing into the exhaust to clean up the emissions reading. You'll see it when you get the smog readout.

Also to save yourself a lot of headache, get some stock sized tires on the rear to change your gearing back to stock, that helps a lot as well.

I used to full desmog then resmog every two years with my 60, its a simple process once you understand it. Just be sure to use nickel antiseize on everything.
That's desmog commitment! The pump was pulled off within the first year so it should be healthy.

Right now I'm waiting on some eastwood cast manifold coating to come in, and I need to refinish a few brackets with steelit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom