76 fj 40 axle device (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today I tore out the front axle so that I could lower my truck back to stock height by putting the axle on top of the leaf springs.

Funny, I have never noticed that my axle tube has been cut and welded to the axle knuckle end.
Looks shortsighted. Any thoughts?

Could it have been narrowed because the wheels that are on there have 12 1/2 inch white tires
IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3202.jpeg

Probably cut and turned for castor.

Probably cut and turned for castor.
If the axle tube measures straight can I still convert my setup from the axle being under the leaf spring to being on top of the leaf spring? Do you think it will affect the drivability of the truck?

Hard to say from your photos. Are those spring-over spring plates parallel to the original spring-under spring plates? There's an OEM weld between the knuckles and the axle tube. Is it possible that's all you're looking at?

Your post is confusing. The axle in pic has been converted from the stock spring under the axle to a SOA to gain height. When that is done the ball ends of the axle are cut free at the factory weld at end of tube , rotated to correct castor & rewelded. This is usually comdined with a shackle reversal. If you are restoring to stock height and putting the springs back under the axle you will need to check castor when done to see. if it wasnt shackle reversed you may be able to shim to achieve correct castor, you may have to reweld, or you could find a stock empty housing, clean, paint and then switch everything over, new seals & bearings, wala, new axle.
FWIW I would restore the stock shackle locations if it was shackle reversed.

Though I mentioned it, since that is often done for a SOA, I can't tell from the photos that it has been cut and turned. I think you need to clean the areas of the knuckle welds really well and take closer photos. I think you may be looking at the stock welds.

The new and old spring perches look parallel in the photos and I don't think that would be true with a cut and turn. Normally, the stock perches would be lopped off.

Last edited:
I’ll take better pics with measurements. The welds at the end of the axle are pretty ugly.

This is a stock axle.
stock axle.jpg

This is a C&T axle.

C&T axle.jpg

I've seen plenty of crappy-looking stock welds on FJ40s.

I think that's the stock knuckle-to-axle tube weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom