74 FJ40 combination light wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Getting closer to getting my sons FJ 40 on the road.

I purchased two of the new OEM combination lights, both right sided.

I have the right side wired, and it almost works correctly. I'm not sure how to wire the left side though.

Someone told me that there was a thread on here detailing how to wire a right side light for the left side. I haven't been able to find it. Hoping someone can let me know how it's done, or point me to the thread.

What is a "combination light"? You talking front or rear blinker assemblies? Also, model year is helpful.
It's a 74. It's the 3 in one rectangular light.

I have the diagram. As I understand it, "people" have bought 2 of the right side rectangular lights. In order to put the right side light on the left side you need a left side lens, which I have, and there is a change to the wiring. That's what I am looking for. I don't know what "change" to wiring and lights must be done to get the RHS light to work correctly on the left side.

And looking at the colors in the wiring diagrams don't seem to provide any indication as to what goes where?

And looking at the colors in the wiring diagrams don't seem to provide any indication as to what goes where?
It does, but there's more to it. The thread that I can't find apparently has all the details. I wish I knew more. I was under an impression that it was a common thread/mod to get a right side combination light to work on the left but apparently I'm wrong. @cruisermatt ?

It does, but there's more to it. The thread that I can't find apparently has all the details. I wish I knew more. I was under an impression that it was a common thread/mod to get a right side combination light to work on the left but apparently I'm wrong. @cruisermatt ?

hi mr. must have ,

below is my ALL things Rear Tail Lamps TECH thread ,,,

Please Pour over starting at post # 1 and all the way to my last post , then report back ...

identify what GENERATION lamps you have , i can then walk you through the whole " making 2 RIGHT Side lamps work on a LH side application , parts and wiring details ,,,,

- DO have :

- the LH OEM lens itself too ?

- a LH rubber OEM gasket ?

- are u planning on using the RH 2 light shades ,

or

- a set of LH ones ?

- report back the needed above , i will then set you up for success ....

- below are ALL RH Side images TECH . for you . these are NOT in my tail lamps thread i do not think ?

matt

/

1693523458211.png

1693523561315.png

1693523507432.png

1693523411447.png

Last edited:
I
hi mr. must have ,

below is my ALL things Rear Tail Lamps TECH thread ,,,

Please Pour over starting at post # 1 and all the way to my last post , then report back ...

identify what GENERATION lamps you have , i can then walk you through the whole " making 2 RIGHT Side lamps work on a LH side application , parts and wiring details ,,,,

- DO have :

- the LH OEM lens itself too ?

- a LH rubber OEM gasket ?

- are u planning on using the RH 2 light shades ,

or

- a set of LH ones ?

- report back the needed above , i will then set you up for success ....

- below are ALL RH Side images TECH . for you . these are NOT in my tail lamps thread i do not think ?

matt

/

View attachment 3416436

View attachment 3416438

.View attachment 3416437

View attachment 3416434
I have two new oem right side combination lights. 81550-60191

I have a left side lens.

Not concerned with plugs at all. Just trying to determine what wires to use, and how to reverse the lights correctly so turn signal marker is on the outside.
IMG_5412.jpeg

If your installing the rt one on the left side don't you turn the housing upside down, so the turn light is on the outside?

I

I have two new oem right side combination lights. 81550-60191

I have a left side lens.

Not concerned with plugs at all. Just trying to determine what wires to use, and how to reverse the lights correctly so turn signal marker is on the outside.
View attachment 3416453

well .........?

- the plugs are a concern , because how can i help you dial in the correct wiring and such if i don's know which ones that are ?

- you can post pics below please of the lamps / plugs , and colors wires , YES please do that ...

- because IF you have this Connector plug involved here , this will become a TAD bit of a Pandora's OF if you DO NOT have 2 VERY B+ or better condition FEMALE harness side mating matching buddies Harness Side one s ?

i will await your reply before i go there on the below
" maybe topic ' ....

1693527717590.gif

Last edited:
well .........?

- the plugs are a concern , because how can i help you dial in the correct wiring and such if i don's know which ones that are ?

- you can post pics below please of the lamps / plugs , and colors wires , YES please do that ...

- because IF you have this Connector plug involved here , this will become a TAD bit of a Pandora's OF if you DO NOT have 2 VERY B+ or better condition FEMALE harness side mating matching buddies Harness Side one s ?

i will await your reply before i go there on the below
" maybe topic ' ....

View attachment 3416480
I have 5 wires at left housing, no plug, they now have bullet connectors on them. I have removed the plug from the new light too.

IMG_5416.jpeg
IMG_5417.jpeg

If your installing the rt one on the left side don't you turn the housing upside down, so the turn light is on the outside?
Exactly what a PO did on my truck - turn it upside down and switch sides.
Maybe I'm missing something here but there are only three bulbs in the housing.
Each filament has a feed wire and they all share a common ground.
The only change is that the RH turn signal now becomes the LH turn signal.
What more information do you need???

I feel like there is something unique to it, but perhaps it's just that easy. Nothing can be that easy though.

The only meaningful difference I see on mine is the drain slot on the coloured lens is at the top instead of the bottom.
Not that it seals so well to the casing that it actually needs a drain slot though!
The lens itself is different, and the certification mark is upside down. Who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom