'72 FJ40 Cowl Vent mechanism (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
just because you can't have too many pictures.... nothing special, just reference if someone is rebuilding
tempImagelt4Hjl.jpg
tempImageXW4wRG.jpg
tempImageb33Tlw.jpg
tempImagePofzFU.jpg

Wow spick and spam - looks great. I used a piece of 3/4" tygon (heat formed) to be my drain tube - there was nothing to be had back in 1984. In the vicinity, I made the rectangular rubber fresh air duct by industrial stapling a cut and glued section of car inter tube. Still there since 84. I had scored new defroster rubber ducts at that time. The fitting are falling apart tho the duct still looks serviceable - might be time to 3d print something to make the snap on fittings for the defrost connections.

I admit, I never even looked at mine - it has worked since I got the truck :meh:

which is a lot more dusty, since I don't believe much in washing wheeling trucks

Thanks for those pictures, mine has been stuck closed since I bought the truck. With so many other things to fix I haven't got to it yet but at least know I can see the pivot points and moving parts I should be soaking in PB Blaster.

Bit of a diversion but in the same area, would you (or anyone) have any pics of how the “V” cable is routed under the dash?
I obviously routed mine wrong and it’s pinched off to the side and doesn’t work.

Last edited:
However to run Vintage Air Ac and ‘keep’ the cowl vent, this how you modify the linkage and move the pull knob to the dash. Note the step in the cross bar. And the pull knob at the top of the dash between wipers and the pull throttle. That was the challenge…..

cowl vent linkage modified.jpeg
Upper Dash Installed.jpeg

Bit of a diversion but in the same area, would you (or anyone) have any pics of how the “V” cable is routed under the dash?
I obviously routed mine wrong and it’s pinched off to the side and doesn’t work.
ok, full disclosure - I've tried to do my best to follow the factory set up as much as possible with this build but don't take this for correct.
the red cable is choke, stripped one is the water valve and the black is the door on the blower. I tried running each of them a dozen different ways and never was truly happy with the results - seemed like they were too short/ long or had too tight a curve in them. how you see them now seemed to work the best/ cleanest. if anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to listen

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 7.52.12 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 7.52.25 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 7.52.37 AM.png

just because you can't have too many pictures.... nothing special, just reference if someone is rebuildingView attachment 3483864View attachment 3483865View attachment 3483867View attachment 3483869
Nice job. Mine is currently sealed closed with silicone, and the mechanism is a box of bits. Great reference photos, they'll definitely come in handy thanks
However to run Vintage Air Ac and ‘keep’ the cowl vent, this how you modify the linkage and move the pull knob to the dash. Note the step in the cross bar. And the pull knob at the top of the dash between wipers and the pull throttle. That was the challenge…..

View attachment 3614279View attachment 3614280

YES ,

i have the correct routing diagrams for the Early
V vent pull cables , both early under dash U shape bracket , and the later up in the middle switch panel too..

let me know while era set up you have , ill post you the one that applies

i like really like the details that matter & matter do details here for sure .....

i had my shop make the EPDM mold for this from a NOS one i get from a old skool long term member & Supporting Vendor too....

the factory fit form and function shoe fits very well here ........ :) :wrench: :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

i have shipped out many of these since i made it alive again , and nobody posts photos of it installed ........:confused:

maybe somebody will see this and decide to share there sparky new UV grade
90480-12119 .....

1714028083052.png

1714028094774.png

1714028105462.png

Here are some various louver vent pull knob & shaft restoration jobs i have done for other fellow members , making them all sassy lassie like again is always the goal no matter how they look coming in the Skunk-Works Laboratories front door :D
1714028895779.jpeg

1714032114143.jpeg

Last edited:
Great thread with excellent pictures. Thanks for posting.

YES ,

i have the correct routing diagrams for the Early
V vent pull cables , both early under dash U shape bracket , and the later up in the middle switch panel too..

let me know while era set up you have , ill post you the one that applies

i like really like the details that matter & matter do details here for sure .....

i had my shop make the EPDM mold for this from a NOS one i get from a old skool long term member & Supporting Vendor too....

the factory fit form and function shoe fits very well here ........ :) :wrench: :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

i have shipped out many of these since i made it alive again , and nobody posts photos of it installed ........:confused:

maybe somebody will see this and decide to share there sparky new UV grade
90480-12119 .....

View attachment 3616061
View attachment 3616062
View attachment 3616063
Matt, mine is a 69. I think I have it routed right, turns out the cable had seized in the housing. I freed it up and pushed all the slack back towards the knob so it can be as straight as possible out of the back. I’ll probably never use it but at least it works. Now I need to find the square ‘coupling’ from the black vent pipe to the inside unit.

Matt, mine is a 69. I think I have it routed right, turns out the cable had seized in the housing. I freed it up and pushed all the slack back towards the knob so it can be as straight as possible out of the back. I’ll probably never use it but at least it works. Now I need to find the square ‘coupling’ from the black vent pipe to the inside unit.

are we talking the black epdm rubber female sleeve of sorts ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom