4x4 Labs Swing Out Builds/Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any flex in the arm? Can't believe you're selling it. It is my ALL time favorite rear bumper build!

Wanna buy it? :)

Yeah it still might flex a bit. But it's not the swingout itself, it's the entire corner of the bumper shell. I don't notice it on the freeway, it's only when I'm driving fast on bumpy, rocky trails.

I love these Labs bumpers. They have such nice lines with great clearance. But the longer I own the rig, the more I realize I don't need a bumper in the back. Most of what I've been doing lately is 1-2 day local crawling trips. And because I also want to chop part of the roof, I'm gonna chop the rear quarters and possibly lose the tailgate. A rear swingout bumper just isn't what I need anymore. It's a shame too. I tried and tried to visualize how to keep the bumper while still doing a high clearance rear quarter chop but it just wouldn't work.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Wanna buy it? :)

Yeah it still might flex a bit. But it's not the swingout itself, it's the entire corner of the bumper shell. I don't notice it on the freeway, it's only when I'm driving fast on bumpy, rocky trails.
I would've of if I didn't just finish building mine! Somebody will be getting a hell of a deal.

4x4labs spindles are top notch. It shouldn't be too hard to make a tire carrier and ladder if you have access to a tube bender and the other things necessary to make it. Destaco latches are good. I found mine on amazon and it was like $40 shipped. I used 1/4" wall 2.5" square tubing for the swing out arm and 2" .120 wall DOM for the "hoop" tire carrier. Kind of overkill but it is solid and doesn't bend or anything.

@half k cruiser Some are building their own accessories to bolt on rather than the add-ons from Luke.

@half k cruiser Some are building their own accessories to bolt on rather than the add-ons from Luke.

It sounded like they were having some sort of issue with the swing outs that were supplied with the kit. As far as building your own I think the supplied tire carrier is already pretty sweet, but a custom ladder with room on the back for a RotoPax and a high lift would be the bee's knees.

Sounds like you have it mostly thought out already. The only couple "modified" labs swings out I can think of are @jcardona1, @LandCruiserPhil and @AMMO

No swing outs on my 80;)

IMG_1421.JPG

It sounded like they were having some sort of issue with the swing outs that were supplied with the kit. As far as building your own I think the supplied tire carrier is already pretty sweet, but a custom ladder with room on the back for a RotoPax and a high lift would be the bee's knees.
The 4x4 Labs already has options for a high lift mount on the tire carrier and ladder. I'm trying to decide how to go about doing Jerry cans or rotopax on a swing out on the ladder myself. Slee, BIOR and Sean have swing out can holders that attach to the ladder that may be made to work with some modification. There are also some universal holders that could be used with a custom swing out for the ladder.

I haven't tried to fit any but I'd think the cooler basket could be used to carry Jerry cans.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435764154.849761.jpg

I love these Labs bumpers. They have such nice lines with great clearance. But the longer I own the rig, the more I realize I don't need a bumper in the back. Most of what I've been doing lately is 1-2 day local crawling trips. And because I also want to chop part of the roof, I'm gonna chop the rear quarters and possibly lose the tailgate. A rear swingout bumper just isn't what I need anymore. It's a shame too. I tried and tried to visualize how to keep the bumper while still doing a high clearance rear quarter chop but it just wouldn't work.

It's a shame you are chopping your 80. I understand why and its your rig. Just makes me sad. Such a beautiful rig.

It's a shame you are chopping your 80. I understand why and its your rig. Just makes me sad. Such a beautiful rig.

Hey, chopped can be beautiful too. It's what's on the inside that counts :)

The 4x4 Labs already has options for a high lift mount on the tire carrier and ladder. I'm trying to decide how to go about doing Jerry cans or rotopax on a swing out on the ladder myself. Slee, BIOR and Sean have swing out can holders that attach to the ladder that may be made to work with some modification. There are also some universal holders that could be used with a custom swing out for the ladder.
With a Jerry can/cooler basket attached to the ladder, how do you use the bottom rung of the ladder? Or does the basket swing-out from the swing-out?

With a Jerry can/cooler basket attached to the ladder, how do you use the bottom rung of the ladder? Or does the basket swing-out from the swing-out?
The 4x4labs version is fixed in the way of the ladder. A few other companies make swing out versions so the ladder can actually be used.

The 4x4labs version is fixed in the way of the ladder. A few other companies make swing out versions so the ladder can actually be used.
I thought the basket was a 'permanent' fixture. Doesn't make much sense. So how the hell do you use the bottom rung(s) of the ladder?

I thought the basket was a 'permanent' fixture. Doesn't make much sense. So how the hell do you use the bottom rung(s) of the ladder?
I guess you don't with the 4x4 Labs. That's why I didn't end up buying the Jerry can holder from them. Like I said others make a swing out version. It's just a matter of making your own or buying one of these and making it work with the 4X4 Labs

Slee

sof1255-2-250.jpg

Sean Huston? Fab

3dDS8A8.jpg

BIOR

second-arm2.jpg

second-arm1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom