4l60 / Transfer Case Grinding / Is this normal? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So... @dbbowen has exhaustively researched the T-case whine in his axle swap thread. All signs are pointing to this being an endemic issue with the Advanced Adapter part. A handful of folks have chimed in privately and in the thread echoing their experience with the whine while running this setup.

Seems the fix for eliminating the whine behind a 4l60e transmission is to either use the Marks version of the adapter, or eliminate the adapter and the split case and instead use the HF2A transfer case (with different marks/AA adapter, and part time 4wd mod). @TRAIL TAILOR and @Bullzi both mentioned utilizing the HF2A with non-whining results, and I’m sure @cruisermatt has some experience here as well.

Headed this direction in the future, so… is there any benefit to sourcing the HF2A over the HF2AV (viscous coupling) version? Seems the viscous coupler gets eliminated during the part time 4wd install, so wondering if there are other reasons to avoid. New driveshafts would be necessary regardless, so longer output shaft housing is irrelevant?

I was thinking the earlier non viscous coupler case would be the move since the case itself is literally shorter

I was thinking the earlier non viscous coupler case would be the move since the case itself is literally shorter
Or the 100 series version, I guess?

And then just wire a relay and switch for the cdl actuator to control 2x/4x (or use the dash button if 62). The manual actuator conversion being developed by Georg that Trail Tailor alluded to in your thread sounds cool too if it comes to market.

I’ve never had any problems with this or complaints from customers on any of the ones I’ve done :meh:

I’ve never had any problems with this or complaints from customers on any of the ones I’ve done :meh:
The split case or the 80 case? Just about everyone dubs and I asked on here or on fb had whine in theirs. Mine is probably louder than most because the AA twin stick boot is hilariously thin

Splitcase. You realize there have been 4l60 swaps with splitcases for over 20 years, right?

Splitcase. You realize there have been 4l60 swaps with splitcases for over 20 years, right?
Man ive just been out of the blue messaging folks when i find out they have the split case/4l60 combo and so far every reply me and dubs have gotten is that they whine.

It looks like the marks kit supplies shims to adjust the end float of the main adapter bearing while cutting the 4l60 output shaft slightly shorter, but the advance adapter kit kinda just uses the bearing to locate the tcase as well as set end float. The only way to change where the main bearing ends up on the AA kit is the length of the cut on the 4l60 output shaft. @Dubs2017 and i both cut ours to 5.5 inches like the instructions say but im going to go back and check here in a week or so to make sure its literally dead on 5.5 inches and not like 5.7 inches or something. The output shaft is the only thing thats not either completely brand new or has been replaced on my truck besides the adapter housing itself. Adapter bearing all the way back to the wheel bearings are brand new

The red and the black main adapter bearings are not the exact same size. I had both out and measured them and the black bearing is ever so slightly different than the red bearing I originally had. Idk if its enough difference to make a whine but they were slightly different where the snap ring sits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom