47's HJ47 ute build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pads... I'm trying not to hold back in quality here.

DSC01162.JPG

DSC01163.JPG

DSC01164.JPG

You should have bought DBA brake gear it's made in Australia

and cheaper

Lookin good mate! Check out Pauciflora's 47 in the 45 section for the definitive disc brake outcome!

You should have bought DBA brake gear it's made in Australia
yeah, good suggestion. will next time eh? I guess I shoulh have looked, but all my brake stuff came from the one place. makes it a little easier;)
Lookin good mate! Check out Pauciflora's 47 in the 45 section for the definitive disc brake outcome!
also good point, I've been following that thread with interest. got a lot of the parts for one hub in a bucket of petrol at the moment.

we will soon have the "what to plate, what not to plate" debate again:);)

thanks for the input guys.

I few impurities above but good enough. also painted up some other parts, but the photos are coming out so bad, I didn't bother to take pics of all of them. just enough to get a rough idea. came up good I reckon.

DSC01177.JPG

DSC01178.JPG

oh, needs a little up-date. did I mention that my windscreen surround now sports a nice layer of 2 Pac paint, with a brand new genuine seal and new windscreen? painted parts at last. hopefully get some more panels done soon.

also got some new bearings into the hub. I'll post up some pics later, also will need some opinions as to whether the calipers are usable.

also, I have a question. when I install the 60 disc brake hubs, can I use my original drum/drum type booster and master? I think the booster is stuffed anyway because the brake peddle is like a rock. 60 series one?

cheers

I am still using my drum/drum master with 4 wheel discs in my V8 74 truck with no issues (used an 80 series master with the conversion... You can use the existing master if you remove the residual valve (10lb. for drums) inside the front circuit of your master. You can use the 60 master (EDIT- booster) with minor mods I think- possible flip upside down from stock and adjust the pushrod length to work properly. ( bolt patterns are the same but the vacuum line fitting is different I think)
HTH,
Will

Last edited:
still usable these calipers? will get new pistons. the other half of the caliper was not so bad.

oh yeah my wipers are funny too. the intermittent setting stuffs up leaving the wipers at all different stages. on intermittent, there is a horrible grinding noise from under the tacho area. it comes from a black box under the dash. unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of it.

DSC01185.JPG

DSC01186.JPG

DSC01187.JPG

I am still using my drum/drum master with 4 wheel discs in my V8 74 truck with no issues (used an 80 series master with the conversion... You can use the existing master if you remove the residual valve (10lb. for drums) inside the front circuit of your master. You can use the 60 master with minor mods I think- possible flip upside down from stock and adjust the pushrod length to work properly. ( bolt patterns are the same but the vacuum line fitting is different I think)
HTH,
Will
okay good to know. thanks for the input. I'll have to figure all this sort of stuff out somewhere along the line so any advice is great. thanks again.

okay so I am slowly working through the painting thing on the cruiser, next up is the roof and bezel. will be done in 2pac, anyone know the colour code for it? late 80's model? found T-12 or 012 is that correct?

also got me wipers adjusted properly. and the other hub stripped and painted.

can't see any reason for it not to be on the road soon. sick of taking pics of it in the shed.

Oh man, no one came in when you asked about brakes! A disc front needs a disc-front master. A drum front needs a drum-front master. Don't ask me about 4-disc. You can use stock 40 series masters and boosters, or you can probably upgrade to 60 or 80 stuff. I've heard that the 80 series booster and master is a bolt-on proposition, but haven't done it myself so cannot confirm.

Hubs looks ace 47! Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.. :cheers:

EDIT. Just saw tlc762 chimed in w/brake info.

I am still using my drum/drum master with 4 wheel discs in my V8 74 truck with no issues (used an 80 series master with the conversion... You can use the existing master if you remove the residual valve (10lb. for drums) inside the front circuit of your master. You can use the 60 master (EDIT- booster) with minor mods I think- possible flip upside down from stock and adjust the pushrod length to work properly. ( bolt patterns are the same but the vacuum line fitting is different I think)
HTH,
Will

Oh man, no one came in when you asked about brakes! A disc front needs a disc-front master. A drum front needs a drum-front master. Don't ask me about 4-disc. You can use stock 40 series masters and boosters, or you can probably upgrade to 60 or 80 stuff. I've heard that the 80 series booster and master is a bolt-on proposition, but haven't done it myself so cannot confirm.

Hubs looks ace 47! Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.. :cheers:

EDIT. Just saw tlc762 chimed in w/brake info.

I'm with Will

In my opinion the key difference (for the master) between drums and discs is that the multiple wheel cylinders on drum brakes require the master to move a LOT more fluid when you want to stop.

So when a drum master is used with disc brakes, you have "excess fluid-movement-capacity" which isn't a problem.

(Of course the converse of using a disc-master for drum brakes would be a serious error because then the master would be incapable of moving enough fluid.)

:beer:

thanks for the reply's guys. starting to make sense. my master is a brand new one form Toyota so would be a shame to lose it all. also my booster is gone, can I use an 80 booster and my 40 drum master? or if I'm doing that is it best to use both the 80 master and booster?

cult- I have read somewhere that the 60 booster requires alteration but the 80 one is a bolt on. can you confirm it for me?

and @lostmarbles if my lines are good, the 40 master should not be too strong then should it?

can any one help my roof and bezel colour? looking to get em painted in the next two weeks so need to know the code.

cheers guys

....and @lostmarbles if my lines are good, the 40 master should not be too strong then should it?
can any one help my roof and bezel colour? looking to get em painted in the next two weeks so need to know the code.
cheers guys

Being able to move more fluid is a product of the bore diameter and piston travel and doesn't necessarily mean you have a higher fluid pressure. And whatever fluid pressure you have, your hydraulic lines must always be capable of withstanding it and have a good safety margin into the bargain... (So that's why it's so important that old flexible lines and rusty solid ones are replaced.)

Here's my all-drum master (built to supply enough fluid for my massive late-model-style front drums).
BrakeMasterOriginalC.jpg

It's so long it almost hits my air cleaner

From what I've seen, the masters for discs were much shorter.

As for your roof and bezel ... Cygnus White .. Toyota code 012 But best to just get them to match the inside colour of your bezel that hasn't been sun-bleached.

Being able to move more fluid is a product of the bore diameter and piston travel and doesn't necessarily mean you have a higher fluid pressure. And whatever fluid pressure you have, your hydraulic lines must always be capable of withstanding it and have a good safety margin into the bargain... (So that's why it's so important that old flexible lines and rusty solid ones are replaced.)

Here's my all-drum master (built to supply enough fluid for my massive late-model-style front drums).
View attachment 1323134

It's so long it almost hits my air cleaner

From what I've seen, the masters for discs were much shorter.

As for your roof and bezel ... Cygnus White .. Toyota code 012 But best to just get them to match the inside colour of your bezel that hasn't been sun-bleached.

legend. thanks mate, help like this is a million dollars to me. I think i'll go 80 booster and keep my drum master. a 2h ain't have the air cleaner on the drivers side:D

one caliper done one to go. no plated parts unfortunately but hey, its gunna be work and play rig not a show boat. still, I'm really happy with it.

get my roof back form the painters in a couple of weeks. cutting out the rust and welding new stuff in. no bog for me.

DSC01192.JPG

DSC01193.JPG

DSC01194.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom