3FE Owners Check-In (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome story. How much did a '92 80 run you back in 1991, if you don't mind me asking? I would guess around $35K. If that's the case, that must have been a well-paying paper route!

Just under that out the door. Granted I got a poverty pack 80 with no options. No moon roof, running boards, roof rack, etc.

I delivered 903 (yes, that number will be forever etched in my brain) papers everyday. No days off. It sucked but was worth it. IIRC I made $.85/week/house.

Just under that out the door. Granted I got a poverty pack 80 with no options. No moon roof, running boards, roof rack, etc.

I delivered 903 (yes, that number will be forever etched in my brain) papers everyday. No days off. It sucked but was worth it. IIRC I made $.85/week/house.
Unless my math fails me (which it often does), that's just under $40K/year! Or just around a trillion dollars/year, in 12 year-old adolescent dollars. Way to go!

Unless my math fails me (which it often does), that's just under $40K/year! Or just around a trillion dollars/year, in 12 year-old adolescent dollars. Way to go!

Well, it didn't really seem like a trillion dollars/year because I was basically supporting my family then because my father was a low life loser. He left when I was 14 and I put my three siblings and mom through college while in high school and college myself. So there was never really any extra money. It was always spent before I got it. Kind of funny that 23 years later I went back to school to be a teacher in order to start out at $42k/year...or what I was making when I was 12 slinging papers. Our priorities are out of whack! (All of this may partially explain why I drive a 23 year old 80...haha)

Well, it didn't really seem like a trillion dollars/year because I was basically supporting my family then because my father was a low life loser. He left when I was 14 and I put my three siblings and mom through college while in high school and college myself. So there was never really any extra money. It was always spent before I got it. Kind of funny that 23 years later I went back to school to be a teacher in order to start out at $42k/year...or what I was making when I was 12 slinging papers. Our priorities are out of whack! (All of this may partially explain why I drive a 23 year old 80...haha)
What an inspiring feel-good story. Thanks for sharing with Mud!

Checking in... bought my 91 FJ80 3 years ago from a TLC junkie with 170K mi. to use as my daily driver. My office, usual go-to's and house are all within a 2 mile radius in Fort Worth so I don't put many miles on the truck at all. Today I have 175K mi. and everything is stock. As the third owner (and I have just about every service record) I see myself as a steward of one bad ass truck that will live forever. Therefor, I've kept the engine, body & interior all standard. Before too long I will need a paint job and a new dash but for now, it will just keep kicking ass.

NEW (to me) 1991 FJ80
Totally stock with new radiator.
315xxx miles and still as I remember my buddy's '92 FJ80 back in 1995.

Pierce County, Washington near the Carbon river.

Looking forward to many projects!

Checking In........bought my 91 FJ80 3 weeks ago after several discussions with a co-worker and many visits to ih8mud as a guest. Have always loved the overall look of the LC and was always drawn to them. This is my first and I would be willing to and more to the stable after just 3 weeks. Basic stock LC with 31X10.5's. Small oil leak that we are looking into along with a small PS leak at the reservoir (o-ring) I think. Engine runs strong and it drives very well. I read somewhere here that these were "over engineered" and "built to a standard" as opposed to build to a "price point". I am very happy about that. Everything on it screams Beast! It has 224K but I can't wait to see how many more get added.

This is my first post so I thought this would be the place to start. After over a year of shopping, ran across a 91 LC in South Central LA. After a quick test drive and a thorough background check, I bought her for $1500 (!!!!!!). Super excited to get into the game!!! I hope to learn a lot about my new rig on here.

New and checking in. 91 w 187k, murdered out, basically stock with ARB winch bumper and some OME stabilizing. After three weeks and some Big Island rock crawling i'm done with domestic full size 4wd trucks for good.
Looking at the 50mm OME lift, some general maintenance (lots of questionable rubber under the hood), and learning more about the benefits of lockers for crawling. Plus adding some apocalypse hardware. Bits are hard to come by here, though.

Any other cruiser fans Kona side?

97' LX, 256k on the clock. Drive train 99% stock. Installed a Diff lock switch, 4.5" Level Lift OME, running 285/75/16 Yoko Geolanders.
Recent repairs: CSF 2517 all metal radiator (due to a seeping top plastic tank), all coolant hoses, water pump, frt. crank seal, re-sealed oil pump, replaced all stock spring hose clamps, v-belts, A/C drive pulley bearing an both idler bearings. ALL Fluids replaced. Got to treat the old girl right.
Did the lift after flattening out the stock suspension on the first leg of the Rubicon. Drove back to So Ca. about 400 miles bottoming out and wagging it's rear end.....
Purchased in 2002 with 120k on it, typical Soccer Mom Mobile at that time. So. Cal purchased and still lives here.
Owned 2 FJ40s back in the day, never thought I'd be wheeling an 80 with A/C !!!

The amount of information I have used from this site helped me maintain and restore my 1991 fj80 that I purchased 4 years ago. I had 110000 miles on the clock and a immaculate rust free body as well as a very clean interior. The places that it allowed me to explore created great memories for me and my wife. After deflairing, monstalining, desmoging, charcoal canister mod, fpr, fuel pulsation damper, fuel pump, rad, everything to do with brakes and PS.... I am now sadly looking in selling it. I recently purchased a HDJ81 5 speed manual 1hdt with 57000km on the clock. Yes 57000 kilometers. The new rig looks like it just rolled out of dealership!

The amount of information I have used from this site helped me maintain and restore my 1991 fj80 that I purchased 4 years ago. I had 110000 miles on the clock and a immaculate rust free body as well as a very clean interior. The places that it allowed me to explore created great memories for me and my wife. After deflairing, monstalining, desmoging, charcoal canister mod, fpr, fuel pulsation damper, fuel pump, rad, everything to do with brakes and PS.... I am now sadly looking in selling it. I recently purchased a HDJ81 5 speed manual 1hdt with 57000km on the clock. Yes 57000 kilometers. The new rig looks like it just rolled out of dealership!

New owner checking in. 1992 FJ80
Original owner was from the Tuscon, AZ area. I picked it up in Nashville. Took a risk by getting a rental car and driving 350 miles to meet the then current owner (said he was selling it because he couldn't justify the gas mileage :bang:) ended up driving it home. I probably spent too much, but as as I reside in the rust belt (Cincinnati) I put a premium on a rust free truck (my 1992 extra cab taught me that lesson...)
It has a few factory options like the sun roof, roof rack, and third row seats.

I've replaced/ fixed a bunch of stuff since purchasing it about 1.5 months ago...
-radiator (el cheapo rock auto brand)
-front shocks (rears are waiting to be installed)
-FPR
-fuel pressure damper
-all vacuum lines
-leaking windshield
-all fluids
-a/c system evacuation and refill

What it needs:
-a good throttle body cleaning
-new tires
-driver side seat belt
-A/C pulley
-radio (hack job wiring) and speakers
-fixing a transmission fluid leak somewhere near the rear cross member
-nagging starting issue
-cleaning up some surface rust and painting

I just got back from doing a 1400 mile round trip from Cincinnati, silver lake sand dunes, mackinaw city, then back to Cincinnati.
The only casualties were 2 dead rear shocks... not bad for 232,000 miles.

Oh, and I meet a fellow member while chilling by lake Michigan, Seth I believe his name was. He drove a 1994 FJZ80 and was from Chicago. Anyways, you got me to join, finally. :beer:

097b3132-57d8-4ee6-a6c9-c3894507a041_zpswin8jkgo.jpg

OK dudes. I have a check engine light popped up and typically i can get around lights and figure it out.. but this one makes me feel dumber than normal.

PFL video on the way

New owner checking in.

Had my 91 FJ80 for about 6 months now. Finally got around to just getting some basics done...

Vehicle: 91 FJ80

Mileage: ~191k

Work done: basic inspection, changed fluids, fixed windows (wouldn't go up), needed a water hose. New hood dampers/hatch dampers. New wipers all around.

Mods(ish): 285/75/16 Cooper AT3 and 16" MT Black Wheels. Pioneer deck w/ blueteef. Plasti-dip black pain job.

Survived a weekend in the mountains this past holiday weekend. Loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom