3FE Owners Check-In (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

91 white FJ80 141,000 miles. I have only had it for a month. Have done a full service, new belts and a new pully bearing, tie rods with damper, am about to replace the ps pump with aftermarket. I just finished a self install of a front arb air locker. it wheels way better than my old yj. In the near future I will get a rear Aussie locker, ome stock height replacement springs, and some 32 or 33's.

8/1992, bought in 1999 at 100K, 240K now.

I've spent 3 summers working on her. Burned out a bit, so took 2014 off. I've noticed I'm having "symptoms" of our "disease" the last few months. Starts with reading the forum more often and making a list. Intimate with:
Rebuild knuckles/diff leaks
Bad piston replaced without removing the motor.
Air flow meter tweak
Replace exhaust system with EMS stainless

I usually wait for things to break before replacing, but now do some stuff to keep it's reliability realizing after 22 years LOTS of stuff is going to break soon.

I wish a motor head would PM me about my compression and if I should be worried:

On 12/29/2011 when I first had a problem, my numbers were:
1 - 120
2 - 0 - REPLACED PISTON
3 - 122
4 - 110
5 - 121
6 - 118

Yesterday 8/31/14:
1 - 131
2 - 124 (whew! I was worried the burnt up piston hurt the cylinder, cylinder seems to be okay)
3 - 115 - with oil 125
4 - 108 - with oil 115
5 - 112 - with oil 118
6 - 130

IMG_20141101_164240_455.jpg
1991 FJ80 256k miles
I've only had her for 3 months, and so far all I've done is replaced the alternator, battery, oil change, top off A/C coolant, and radiator flush. I also removed a rat's nest of home grown wiring the previous owners shoved up under the dash (CB radio harness, alarm system harness, auto start harness, and about 60 feet of miscellaneous wire that had no discernable purpose). I'm a traditionalist, so I probably won't do a lot of aftermarket mods.
My to do list is pretty basic at this point until I really get a feel for what I want out of her:
Replace power brake booster, maybe master cylinder
Brake pads and drums
Rewire previously installed audio amp and replace blown speakers
Fuel filter
Air filter
Power Steering pump
Catalytic converter (maybe)

Finally got one. Was looking for a later model with lockers but found this one with 109,000 miles for a price I couldn't say no to. Great shape overall, but some rust underneath and I am replacing all of the hard brake lines as they are pretty corroded and one is leaking. Eventually I'll be replacing some gaskets, but for now just working on standard tune up stuff.. I was worried about the power of the 3fe, but I actually really like it!

zE1Wkb1.jpg

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I purchased my 1991 FJ80 about six months ago. I live in Southeast Idaho pretty close to Yellowstone National Park. I am a Toyota fan, in fact I work for Teton Toyota in Idaho Falls as a sales associate. I came across my Cruiser when a couple from Texas drove it up from Texas to see Yellowstone. They had a slight issue with the cooling system on their way home and decided to stop in and see us. They had another Cruiser at home that they liked better so I ended up selling them a 2014 Trail Edition 4runner. The dealership bought the Cruiser and I immediately payed cash for it because of it's unique characteristics. It has a 3" old man emu lift, BFG tires, ARB bumpers front and rear, and the thing that makes it stand out is that it has rhino lining done on the entire outside of the vehicle. 168k miles and running strong. I plan on redoing the interior, specifically the dash, driver seat, and carpet. Other than those little ugly points it really in excellent shape. I look forward to picking some brains on the forum when I start getting into some rehab work.

Later

Howzit, Just bought 91 FJ80 190k for $2100 all stock except rims and tires. Had a bunch of common issues that I fixed from info on this Awesome site! -Aloha from Hawaii

20141116_161057.jpg

20141115_163541.jpg

20141115_125811.jpg

20141116_161110.jpg

Hello there, im new to the forum. I have a 1991 FJ80, i live in Santo Domingo and bought mine 2 months ago. 276,000 miles on it running strong, change oil, spark plugs, desmogged, new brakes. American Racing wheels with 32X11.5X15 mud traction tires, flat black fender flares and roof.

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

91 fj80 been lurking around for a little. Bought the 80 about two years ago.

I've :

Replaced all coolant hoses (with toyota parts)
J springs
35's
Adjustable track bars
Wheels
Rebuild knuckles (koyo bearings)
Metal tech front spacer
Valve adjustment
image.jpg

image.jpg

Fairly new to this great group of cruiser fanatics... Love it! :)

1992 FJ80 3FE

145k miles

35x12.50r18 km2's

2.5"OME lift ready to install soon as I have a day!

ArmaCoat flares and rockers matching color

'96 6BT swap planned...

Cheers from Oregon!!!

~John

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420150128.699755.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420150160.781234.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420150178.680443.jpg

1991 with 280k on the clock.........words of wisdom....make sure you replace the grommets on the valve cover when you replace the gasket....lol....runs smooth and strong...no leaks except power steering gear.....

1991 FJ80 6/90 mfg. date on door.
315,000 miles on odometer. No leaks.
Minor issues:
no cruise control
No horn
Cracked windshield
Ds window issues
This LC was in Oregon until 2006 since then it's been in Minnesota.

Howzit, Just bought 91 FJ80 190k for $2100 all stock except rims and tires. Had a bunch of common issues that I fixed from info on this Awesome site! -Aloha from Hawaii
@72rona cool truck man
hey is that a style in hawaii to put low profile tires on wide rims? what tire /rim size u got

new to the site wanted to check in :cheers:
1991 FJ80 with a 3FE
224,000 miles
stock right now lift and tires coming soon but have to do more research.
this is my first 80 and love it so far:D
I have owned Toyota for years and have always wanted one and now I have it.
It spent most of it life in Nevada and now is it Utah.
pic coming soon

Kyle
West Haven Utah

Just recently picked up my first land cruiser. Last March we added another member to the family that put the outdoors on hold for a bit. (Hard to fit 6 people in a 5 passenger vehicle) I have had and still have a handful of Toyota's over the years and wanted something to get the the family back into the outdoors so naturally the land cruiser was the best option. A few weeks ago I drove from Phoenix to L.A. to pick up this 91 with 180k on it. I have been chipping away at some of the little maintenance things hitting it in top shape. Last weekend I did add newer fj cruise wheels and some 285/75 17 Toyo at 2s. Right now waiting on a brake booster before taking it out.

uploadfromtaptalk1423972126596.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1423972139088.jpg

@72rona cool truck man
hey is that a style in hawaii to put low profile tires on wide rims? what tire /rim size u got
Yeah Thanks that's how they do it here. I bought the rig with those wheels on it already. They are 15x12 Prolines with 30" Swamper sx's stretched on it. I really want to go to 35's and a 2.5" lift and call it good. But for now it's ok.

I have a 91 fj80 with 269,xxx on it. Still going pretty good. Lacks a little power on steep grades but I also have 33s on it. Planning on re gearing with 5:29s before I put 35s on. Haven't done too much to the motor outside of stock. I would like to but not sure what I can get away with in california. I see people talking about desmogging theirs but I'm not sure I can do that here. Anyone here from california?

image.jpg

I have a 91 fj80 with 269,xxx on it. Still going pretty good. Lacks a little power on steep grades but I also have 33s on it. Planning on re gearing with 5:29s before I put 35s on. Haven't done too much to the motor outside of stock. I would like to but not sure what I can get away with in california. I see people talking about desmogging theirs but I'm not sure I can do that here. Anyone here from california?

Tire size and brand/model? Looks good!

Getting my feet wet a littler sooner than expected.. Went out and got myself this 1991 Land Cruiser (currently a land mass) for $600 with 190,xxx so I had to jump on it.
image.jpg
Didn't run when I picked it up and later discovered the negative battery cable came off the underneath. Replaced the ignition lock and it started right up. Not getting oil to the rocker arms but once I figure that out she'll just need little things to get her back up to a reliable state.

Jackson, Ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom