3FE Owners Check-In (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New 80 owner here, grew up on my Dad's FJ40s, had my own 60 for years now, and finally drank the 80 kool-aid and bought this peach.

Surely I have the ugliest 80 on here, possibly the slowest too but definitely the ugliest. 3fe is still running strong though!

DSCN2131.JPG

Cool truck, is that factory without fender flares? I think thats kinda rare

Thanks! Yes, it is factory without the fender flares. It also has no speakers in the front doors, has some odd ball oem 15x6 steelies, and didn't come with a sunroof (although this one has an aftermarket sunroof that is sealed shut).

I found a couple older threads that talked about some early 91 FJ80s that came equipped like this. I found a serial number on the frame up front on the passenger side that said FJ800001019 (amount of zeroes might not be exact) so, I wonder if this is the #1019 US spec FJ80? Maybe that is just a generic frame number though?

So far I am really liking it. I am going to do some more base lining this weekend; replace diff fluids, and transfer case, new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, and replace the belts.

Complete FNG (Freaking New Guy) Here. I just bought (cheap, stole it really) a 1991 FJ80. Needs work but looking forward to it. I have always wanted one of these and now I have one...YEA. It has 223000 miles on it and has some issues (sort of like me). Biggest right now is low compression in #1 and #2. Looks like a Head Gasket Issue. There is no water in oil and no oil in coolant. Also will run for hours with no temp issues. FJ was parked for 3 years or so. So far I have done a complete oil change as the oil was ugly. Also running some Marvel Mystery Oil thru the fuel. I ran some SeaFoam thru the intake system via a vacuum line. Seems to run a little better but not like it should. Next step is to pull valve cover and look and see if I have a compressed lifter or valve way out of adjustment. If no joy after that then will pull head. I look forward to picking all of your brains here. Thank you for time. JKD

definitely check out your valves thoroughly before pulling the head, not likely a head gasket issue, could be valves way out of spec. Headgaskets don't blow on these unless severely abused. Of course if you "stole the truck" due to it being neglected, there is no telling....good luck.

Oh ya and post up a picture, hopefully yours is uglier than mine.....

Just picked up a 92 FJ80, after always wanting one. 220k, the 3FE is very clean but can't tell how well it was taken care of. In the process of doing maintenance, and the plugs were brown and cruddy, dry though. Unfortunately the plugs did not fix the rough idle but will doing wires, cap, and rotor this weekend.

One question - is it common for a valve cover leak to cause a low idle on these engines? After an oil change I forgot to put the oil cap on and started it for a few seconds - idle was super rough and low. Is it an indicator to anything?

Snapchat-4178442060004791154_resized_zpsmmletxzr.jpg

been a lurker on here for some time, looking for various fixes. own a 1991 fj80 in the bronze, 3fe with 260k. bought it about 9yrs ago, i think had about 205k on it then. have done or had done all kinds of things. runs better and stronger now then when i bought it. running toyo mt 33x10.50, no lift. dogbox in the reciever hitch. i use it primarily as my coon hunting rig. no cats :), "test pipes"..... mystic 15w-40

I did plugs, cap, rotor, and oil change - ran considerably smoother but still had a rough(but steady) idle.
Just now put on NGK wires and the idle is much improved!
Also, I like to think my 3FE is pretty clean:

0426161816_resized_zpsf52elusx.jpg

@Zdeech check your VIN and see if the last 4 matches the 1019, of so then I am pretty sure that puts it at one of the earliest 80s in the US. And if I'm not mistaken the number is total production not just US.

I did plugs, cap, rotor, and oil change - ran considerably smoother but still had a rough(but steady) idle.
Just now put on NGK wires and the idle is much improved!
Also, I like to think my 3FE is pretty clean:

0426161816_resized_zpsf52elusx.jpg

That is clean! It's normal that the idle goes bonkers when you remove the oil cap. It introduces a vacuum leak after the air flow meter (aluminum thing stuck to the air cleaner box). That makes me think you may have another vacuum leak somewhere in the system causing the rough idle. Those look like factory 25 year old hoses to me, carefully inspect them for splits and dry rotting. Also check the accordion part of the intake boot. Mine was torn on the bottom from wrestling the air filter out and it idled weird. I have a high idle issue I've been fighting on mine, and I think it's in the throttle position sensor. The FSM details how to test it. Yours could be that as well.

@Zdeech check your VIN and see if the last 4 matches the 1019, of so then I am pretty sure that puts it at one of the earliest 80s in the US. And if I'm not mistaken the number is total production not just US.

I just looked at mine, 0020278 and it's a '91. If it's a four digit production number that is rare!

That would be 20,278. It is the last 6 or 7 digits I believe. His was 00001019, that's why I said to check the vin and make sure it matched.

Dave Callister,
92 fj80, only 3fe specific is for the valve adjustment.
unfortunately the 3FE in mine is getting ditched for a 1fze in the next few months, It will be a sad day.
oh yeah I am in Salt Lake City (technically West Jordan)
Dave

My LC has a ticking sound kind can't tell if its an exhaust leak or the valves need adjusting. Any suggestions?

That would be 20,278. It is the last 6 or 7 digits I believe. His was 00001019, that's why I said to check the vin and make sure it matched.
Yea, so that last portion of the serial number on my frame does match up with my VIN. The last seven digits of my VIN are 0001019! If that is total world wide production, that is pretty cool.

The first entry on the carfax report I pulled before I bought it is:
04/19/1990 Source: NICB. Vehicle Manufactured and shipped to original dealer.
Then, it was sold / titled on 06/20/90 in Fort Worth, TX.

Thanks for the feedback on this folks. So is this possibly the earliest FJ80 on mud?

I am loving it so far. It runs great. I recently had some new wheels and tires put on. Here it is with a new set of 42601-60361 OEM 16x8 steel wheels and some 285 75r16 BFG AT's.

newshoes.jpg

@Zdeech nice, there is only one older that I am aware of "1006" a guy from Alabama had it, but I think it was for sale. I checked my 91 and it is "6600" and my 92 is 48xxx.

91 pretty much stock DD. About 230,000 bought it a couple years ago with about 160,000, replaced head gasket and some other minor fixes. clear coat is peeling, looking into paint job...currently making list of things to do to prioritize, certainly been bitten by the cruiser bug !! SOOOO glad for this site, been a REAL help.

After a year of ownership with my 1991 I've got all my tuneup maintenance done and all the leaks have finally been fixed...Now what? This truck has 156k miles on it, is 25 years old and is stupidly reliable. Man, I love these machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom