3FE Owners Check-In (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys... new FJ80 (3fe) owner in Denver CO here. Bought the truck about a month ago from another forum member in Buena Vista CO and couldn't be happier thus far. 1992 FJ80 with 184k on the clock... getting a 2inch OME lift done Sunday, and have a Prinsu rack and CVT Mt. Rainier tent on the way. So far I've only done one trip with it to Moab, but the cruiser performed like i expected... this thing is a champ! Hoping to learn a ton more about the FJ80 on here from guys with a bit more knowledge on cruisers and 4x4/overlanding in general. At this point i think the FJ80 will be in the family for life :cheers:

Hey there. 91 with the 3FE auto 410000Kms on the clock. Picked up about a month ago now. 2nd 80- series I have owned now. Love this one. Lots of room for all the kids, 5 inch lift 33in muddies. not to bad fuel wise all things considered. averaged 17l/100ks on a recent road trip of 2000ks.

Lots of dirt and bush to explore around Kalgoorlie, Western Australia

After 2 years of talking about it, I finally bought my first TLC from my friend, 1991 with 200k, no dents or rust, no motor mods, 2.5'' OME, 33's, ARB with 12k warn, Kaymar rear, both axles completely rebuilt, Aussie Locker rear, and there is more... It also came with a subtank, duel filler neck, transfer pump, factory switch, along with everything else needed for the install, he bought everything about 7 years ago, but never installed it. If I do not install it, I will be listing everything on here soon. I have known the rig for 7 years, it has been babied, has never had an issue, and we have never had to walk. I picked it up last week but have not had a chance to drive it much because my wife thinks it is hers, about the only way to slow her lead foot down. I am sure I will be on here looking for info and advice in the future.
fj80.jpg

Haven't been in this section of ih8mud for a while so I thought I would put some updated pics in that I took today.
Scored some 40th Anniversary rims and fitted 285 75 16 BFG KM2 muds today, also fitted up my new hi-lift jack holder.
IMG_1568.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

If anyone is interested, build pics are here: Landcruiser Build by Robert Kraushofer

Just bought a 91. Don't know much about these that much. Needed a spare vehicle for the family, and always liked the look of the land cruisers. 212k. Everything works except the cruise control. Would like to figure that out. Seems to have a little valve train noise. Not sure how much is normal on these. Like the rig a lot so far. All stock.

Gday from a New 1992 FJ80 owner in Florida

Well I'm actually from Australia, but spend a bit of time every year in USA and now gearing up for a big road trip for the years ahead.

Sourced from Oregon, in great condition, 1992 FJ80
- 140,000 miles with full engine, gearbox, and differential over hauls 25k ago (why?)
-3" OME lift . 4.88 gears and rear lsd, all new interior and trims, fresh paint, 35"x12.5"R20 tyres (excuse the rims soon to be resolved)
- recently added 2 1-2" stainless exhaust with magma flow and ditched the cats
- Marks Adaptors part time 4wd kit (what a difference to drive!)

I'm a long time Landcruiser enthusiast, FJ40 for 18 years, and also had a HZJ75 Troopy for touring Australia. I completed full ground up rebuilds on both and I like to know every component and maintain them accordingly.

So for my big plans ahead, the question for all you 3FE enthusiasts is, what would you include in a must have spare parts kit in your rig, thinking extended off road around USA and potentially down through South America? What are the show stopper components that I should have on hand?

Thanks all for a great resource of information, and possibly meet you at some point over the coming years. Luke

image.png

Just bought a 91. Don't know much about these that much. Needed a spare vehicle for the family, and always liked the look of the land cruisers. 212k. Everything works except the cruise control. Would like to figure that out. Seems to have a little valve train noise. Not sure how much is normal on these. Like the rig a lot so far. All stock.
Valve train sounds like a sewing machine on these trucks. Only be concerned if it goes away...........

Hey there, i am in Alabama and I have a 91 fj80 with a 3F-E that has 265870 miles great truck and I love it. I have owned it for about 7 months and use it as my dd. I have not had any problems with it till today. I drive about 40 miles each way to work and back and about a week ago my check engine light came on and I noticed a day or so later when running around 60mph at 2200rpm it gets rough but when I let off the gas it smooths out or if I go faster it will smooth out too. So I get to work I shut it off and 5 mins later start it up again and move to a shady spot and shut it off and go to work. After work I hop in and all it will do is spin over. Any ideas

Hey what's up guys! Never got around to doing this but yeah. Bought my babygirl Bertha(91 fj80 266k) off of my uncle back in early 07. He's always been a LC head since I can remember. Always thought he had a jeep when I was a kid but it turned out to be a dope ass 40. Anyway, I enjoyed a great 8 months with her til she got a blown head gasket. Now after all of these years I finally got the balls to rebuild the engine. Got it back from the machine shop and it's mounted. She keeps nickel and diming me with broken sensors and hoses and all of that but I'm still happy. Wish me luck!

Hi all been a lurker for a long while finally got my cruiser last weekend. I've been wanting one for years!!!

1991 with 207,000mi bone stock, think I'm going to call it the pig.

3fe- im pretty impressed for the age for sure. This thing starts up everytime no surprises.

Couple of things need fixing- driver side seat belt retractor is done. Gotta pick up new belt, got a whine from the ac compressor, ps pulley has a wobble.

Let the money pit begin, my favorite game!

Hey what's up guys! Never got around to doing this but yeah. Bought my babygirl Bertha(91 fj80 266k) off of my uncle back in early 07. He's always been a LC head since I can remember. Always thought he had a jeep when I was a kid but it turned out to be a dope ass 40. Anyway, I enjoyed a great 8 months with her til she got a blown head gasket. Now after all of these years I finally got the balls to rebuild the engine. Got it back from the machine shop and it's mounted. She keeps nickel and diming me with broken sensors and hoses and all of that but I'm still happy. Wish me luck!

20160730_165942.jpg

20160730_171513.jpg

My new to me 1991 TLC FJ80, 199k on the clock, interior is absolutely gorgeous, with the exception of a torn driver seat. It's no racecar with the 3FE, but it gets me where I'm going, blows cold a/c unlike my other vehicles (2012 RSV4 and a 1986 Datsun 720), but it's temp guage does start climbing on long highway drives pulling my utility trailer, which is concerning. It never gets into the red but it does start hovering on the northern end after a while.

image.jpeg

well finally getting around to posting my project, 1991 3fe powered, bone stock, has the typical issues. going to be doing p/m first then start working towards all the other goodies, goal family adventure rig, kayak bike hauler.
ive had my hands in some more modern projects but these trucks just have some real soul love it!

I think I saw this on Craigslist. Didn't it have a rack on it?
No rack on it when I bought it, but I wish it had one. Headed out to the coast this weekend to do a little camping and jam packed the ol cruiser with coolers, firewood, and assorted gear.

I just spent about five hours driving the new-to-me 91 FJ80 home today. (My wife bought it for me as a graduation present. She's good to me.)
163k on it, looks like I'm third owner, and i'm going to release it to the wild after 20 yrs of mall cruisin'. I'm in Lewiston, CA and will use it to explore the far reaches of the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.
She's bone stock with the poverty package; no sunroof, manual seats, door locks, and window cranks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom