2013 FJ-45 Run!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Update:

I don't have a wife or GF and I'll certainly won't subject you to me "modeling" a shirt so you'll have to wait till the event.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

What about Toploader? He makes a good model! :lol:

Just an FYI for anyone that's sensitive to air quality, the Calaveras Big Trees Park just told us the air in the area is pretty bad every day till around 3pm.

Some areas are bad till around noon, but in general not too good. Everyone has to judge for themselves just how bad, but with that being said we're not gonna make it this trip. We don't do to we'll with the poor air quality anymore, so I think we'll be heading for the coast instead.

Sorry I can't save your spot georg, hope its not too bad for y'all.

Don't be a princess Andy! :princess:

:lol:

Well, if anybody is heading up Friday, please save my spot for me since its a good place for the raffle.

Ty!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Hey, you know how bad I was last time when I broke a nail while receiving my raffle prize...

I should have put on some "simply red" for you ....... "Holding back the tears"

BAWAHAHAHAHA

well im still on the fence about a Friday night run in or a Saturday morning run. im a little swamped with homework right now and haven't even had time except for a few hour today to get my 4wd linkages setup with goergs twinstick kit. looks like ill be driving in with no shifter and a hammer to engage 4wd :p

:cheers:

We'll be a ways behind you.

Picture from last night.

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

We had hope to make it this year. Wendy's Dad is having health issues and still in ICU. Have a Blast everyone and take lots of pics.

Hope you guys are having a blast!
Look forward to seeing some pictures!

Had a great time, thanks Georg for "organizing" the run. The giant Jenga blocks were definitely a hit.

picture.php

The Rattle Snake was an exciting moment for sure.

Made it back in one piece with minimal damage...so is it just me, or did a few of the obstacles "change" since we arrived? The dry creek had a few more deep ruts for sure. The only carnage on my rig was a crunched tailpipe tip...as Luke would say, "cut it off!" Which is what I did. Looking forward to actually running it next year in the 45.

:cheers:

Steve

P.S. Should have some GoPro video clips to post later.

picture.php

Looking a bit shorter, but much better.

picture.php

DISCLAIMER: I can yank shots if someone is writing up a Trails article and wants to use them. Todd will see them as submissions for content regardless of what happens.

That was fun! The driving not so much. I left Salem about 11am Friday and ran into a bad wreck on Hwy 97 north of Klamath Falls. Sat for 3 hours which put my time into camp really late. Somewhere before Susanville the sky got dark and I started dodging a LOT of deer and got freaked out with adrenaline and trying not to have a wreck, so I headed up into the woods to get some elevation and cool air to sleep. After an hour or two of sleep and tossing about, I left camp at 2am and drove through to the event camp. It was pretty sweet zipping through towns and Reno with no traffic.

The earth was kind and rotated timely to perfection as I started up the east side of Hwy 4. By the top of the first pass it was light enough to see plenty of detail. That highway is amazing! It is up near the top of some of the prettiest drives in the West I've been on (and have been on a fair share the past few years). The highway was also up and down and curving around, and a great road to squirt torque through the go pedal and see where the wagon/tire limits were at. ;) No traffic at 5am so it was win win for everyone involved.

I got into camp around 7am without waking anyone (Toyota overhead cam diesels, smooooth), so I crept around and took shots of the sun breaking over the tree tops and through the trees in camp. Then I went to the river and practiced shooting the early light on the river with a series of ND filters in front of the lens. You can judge the results for yourself.. I think I need more practice.

Then people woke up and it felt like I was at an event or something. Lots of tshirts and things raffled, casual friendly camping, making new friends, seeing old ones. Good times. :beer: :beer: :beer:

We were pretty near the Rim fire by Yosemite, so I tried to get some effects of morning light with the smoke, and also illustrate the amount of smoke in the area. You could barely smell any difference down in camp even though the sky was pretty heavy with smoke at times.
fj45-0839.jpg

more smoke shots, but lets be honest.. I like my new camp LEDs :D
fj45-0841.jpg

nice bloody sunrise at 5:30 or so.. all those sleeping slackers in the valley below missed it
fj45-0851.jpg

fj45-0852.jpg

this is almost down to the river and the trailhead, trying to give an idea of smoke and the neat profiles that poke through. my camera is probably 3 years old now and I'm still impressed it gets subtle stuff like this. I certainly have nothing to do with it!
fj45-0855.jpg

Last edited:
fj45-0859.jpg

It was hard to get the impression the bare tall trees made in camp. Very sweet place to camp!
fj45-0863.jpg

fj45-0868.jpg

fj45-0869.jpg

my rising sun pic.. thought the tree shadow pattern looked like the japanese rising sun pattern, and it even honed in on that beautiful '81 BJ45!
fj45-0873.jpg

seriously, you could look at 100s of pics of this thing. Wolly would approve!
fj45-0877.jpg

fj45-0882.jpg

fj45-0883.jpg

The river was very beautiful. I hiked along it a ways during the weekend. It had a constant breeze running along it that helped with bugs and heat. Of course sticking a foot in helped plenty with heat too!
fj45-0893.jpg

Last edited:
fj45-0894.jpg

that is not a willy's wagon, just an illusion ;) speaking of which, did you guys find a welder and fix up its crossmember?
fj45-0895.jpg

fj45-0896.jpg

I told you it would work out fine if you weren't covering up your face!
fj45-0898.jpg

Any excuse to hang around Kory's 45. Thanks for the delicious red snapper burrito too!
fj45-0900.jpg

Huge thanks to Georg for starting the FJ45 runs and hosting in a stunning camp! He is a one man organizational machine, and way too nice to everyone! I have been meaning to make it decided last-minute to start driving for the run. Hopefully next year I can get FJ454 into shape and bring it down. Bahahaha! right.

Last edited:
Those are beautiful shots, Ken. We had a great time being part of the event and enduring all the joys of camping with bugs, etc.

Speaking of etc., I guess the snake story is mine to tell (pictures later). I was minding my own business Saturday evening, just working around the camp when I began to detect a noise in addition to the hissing of our Coleman lantern. It seemed to be coming from the direction of my sons' tent and was a light, but loud buzzing. I began shining my Streamlight Stinger in that direction and gingerly moved closer. When I was about 8 ft. from the front of the tent, the noise stopped for awhile, then started again. One of the other young boys came up and asked what the noise was. I told him it was either a snake, or insects, but it sounded too loud to be insects. He ran off to play again and I continued advancing forward. When I'd almost reached the tent, I finally spotted it; 2 feet from the back corner of the tent, coiled up against a fallen log, was the rattler. It must have been through a few skin sheddings, because there were at least 3 rattles making all the noise. I'm not sure what set it off, but was thankful it didn't move in silently. Once I spotted it, I called to my wife to get help, not wanting to lose its location. Georg was the first to arrive and began trying to relocate it with a stick, but under the log was a far as it was willing to relocate. The closest shovel was mine, and it was soon retrieved, while the closest shotgun was also being sent for. The shovel ended up as the weapon of choice for dispatching the unhappy snake, and I think we all watched our step a little more carefully after that.

thanks for the gift basket of Oregon beer ken! much appreciated in addition to the other stockpile.

Don, I have photos of you on that box canyon and thanks for yanking me off that dang old dry creek bed that I kept getting hung up on through the cor=urse of the weekend :D

and im bummed I didn't get to blast that rattler with my shotgun at 10pm the other night haha

the event was awesome, thank you Georg and everyone who made it out, I had a blast and sorry if Dominic, Machinist and I kept yall up at night from out drunken escapades at 2am, though hiking around in the dark with a red solo cup and an axe is highly entertaining!

I dinged my rear rocker which will be chopped off in the next few months and I have a decent amount of pics to go thrugh and post both in this thread and my build thread.

What a great weekend! Met a lot of new people, and hung out with some good friends. So far these trails were the most challenging I've been on, and I got my first two dents, so I guess its good to get that out of the way! :lol:

Going halfway down Slickrock was fun, but after seeing Dominic's 60, I'm happy we turned back!

I'm just starting to go through some of my pics from the trip now, I probably wont get them processed for a few days but here's a few. :D

_DLV5220 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

Somehow Kyle managed to get his through without a scratch, despite being so close to the wall. ...I wasn't quite as lucky and managed to get a small dent on my rear quarter. :frown:

_DLV5237 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

I got stuck here but got out with some rocks stacked under my front passenger side tire and some help from a few guys with more experience than me. The tow strap wasn't used. (if your reading this, thanks again! :))

_DLV5264 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

_DLV5266 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

_DLV5287 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom