1kz-t vs 2l-te (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 91 Land Cruiser LJ78 with a 2L TE engine. The engine went and the replacement engine ended up having the same problem. It was suggested to use a 1KZ-T engine instead. What is the performance of this engine and does it have any issues with the heads like the 2L TE.

Can anyone give me there experence with replacing a 2L with a 1KZ? Does anyone know where I could find a 1KZ-T in Canada or US

These are still quite uncommon engines here in Canada, so there are probably none available from wrecks.

As with many vehicles and engines from Japan, they will have low mileage but may have quite high engine hours. Virtually every cooling system I have seen in a JDM - and remember, we service these units and they represent about half of the vehicles we service - is compromised due to lack of maintenance, plugging of the radiator(s) and heater cores, rotting heater and radiator hoses and other worn out or very old components.

If you're going to install one, you're going to need to have the engine and transmission ECUs and do the related wiring. I do not know if these engines are plug and play for the older 2LTEs, as far as the ECUs are concerned, but I seriously doubt it.

So, that leaves sourcing an engine - which will be fairly expensive, and then the related fitting of the "new" engine into a vehicle that did not originally have it - which will also be fairly expensive.

Generally speaking, it is always going to be most cost-effective to replace an engine with one of the same type that was already in place. Either way, it's not going to be an inexpensive proposition.

I have a fellow locally, who owns a Surf, going through the same situation right now - thrown rod, looking at cost of repairs (may be as much as $6000) vs. cost or replacement with 3L head swap from his old engine (which will cost ~$5500 by my rough estimate).

Now, one last thought... seeing a LOT of rod bearing failures on 2LTEs - might be worth just doing these as a service item much like the 1HDT. Wayne - thoughts?

HTH,

~John

2L-TE

Just curious for the benefit of the other Prado owners with the 2L-TE ...What was the operating environment when the engines let go ( off-roading, steep inclines or just normal every day driving?)
Thanks.....1978HJ45

Just curious for the benefit of the other Prado owners with the 2L-TE ...What was the operating environment when the engines let go ( off-roading, steep inclines or just normal every day driving?)
Thanks.....1978HJ45

I deliver mail and was 3/4 the way to the post office in the morning when all of a sudden there was a banging sound. I got the truck to the office and had the mechanic pick it up. When he pulled it appart there was no bearing left on one connecting rod and damage on the crank. The engine had already been rebuilt because of head failure. I picked up a replacement engine and it had the same problem.

Sorry to hear that you have suffered multiple failures and hopefully you can get it sorted without to much expense. Hearing your experience makes me want to place a rabbits foot in the glovebox. For what its worth my limited experience with the 3.0
liter head has been positive thus far with no issues. Thanks......1978HJ45

I have a 91 Land Cruiser LJ78 with a 2L TE engine. The engine went and the replacement engine ended up having the same problem. It was suggested to use a 1KZ-T engine instead. What is the performance of this engine and does it have any issues with the heads like the 2L TE.

Can anyone give me there experence with replacing a 2L with a 1KZ? Does anyone know where I could find a 1KZ-T in Canada or US

All engines can blow heads. The 1KZ T or 1KZ TE have been known to blow heads but not anywhere near the frequency of the 2LT.
The 1KZ TE that I have heard about had problems with the plastic tanks on the radiator leading up to their demise.
Keep the coolant system clean with a good radiator and I cannot see why you would have a problem.

They have been on sale in Australia since 96 in the 90,120 and 150 series Prado and Hilux and Hiace(the later models are using the common rail direct injected 1KD FTV version ) and have been the strongest selling selling turbo diesel for most of that time. Plenty of them are approaching 300000 klms with no problems in the hot climate downunda;)

What about gas\petrol engine? Toyota only sells gas powered engines in Canada, could you swap the 2L TE Diesel engine for a gas engine from a 4Runner. The gas\petro version of the Prado used the 22R and was the same as the 4Runner, could this match up with the transmission from the diesel?

Thanks.....1978HJ45

From what I have seen, the rod issue crops up after the heads have been changed and during normal driving conditions. None of the head changes I have performed have lost a rod bearing, but I have seen enough now to know that it's not just random bad luck.

One thought is that piston protrusion is not being measured and the wrong head gasket gets used.

Others have suggested oil contamination, from coolant perhaps, is a cause.

~John

So it sounds like your not going to deal with a complete engine from JDM depot anymore? Is this because they hosed you, or they can't source another engine?

I went through a similair dilema last year, but with a head issue. I installed a Hz/R151 into my Prado, but probably more than your looking to bite off, project wise.

There is a guy on Mud who had a buddy ( or was it himself ?)who put a 22RE gasser in his lj71, don't know the details but you might be able to dig this info up, or some one might be able to point you better.

Is finding a 2LTE with blown head a option, and use it for the bottom end? I sold my old 2lte with a cracked, head less the turbo for $ 500.0. If you did something like that you would probably just need a top end gasket kit. AFAIK.

Well good luck, :wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:
Joel.

here in sunny tropical malaysia the 2L-TE has the same issue the heads cracking or the head gasket going.

In my LJ77 I went 3L manual to 1KZ-TE - auto with 8/39 diffs and street tires of 33".

WHat a transformation i would recommend the 1KZ to anyone grunt and (maybe not so good on the economy 15l per 100k). However you need the full wiring loom (and the dash etc) with it else you cannot make it work.

THe 2LT-TE I agree needs to have the correct head gasket installed on the rebuild and also a proper diagnosis before the head gasket is replaced.

WHat a transformation i would recommend the 1KZ to anyone grunt and (maybe not so good on the economy 15l per 100k)..

15/100 is pretty bad:eek:.I was getting that last week in my HZJ75 with 750 kgs of camping gear and a trailer with a 650cc road trail bike at 110kph in a headwind.
How fast are you driving?

15/100 is pretty bad:eek:.I was getting that last week in my HZJ75 with 750 kgs of camping gear and a trailer with a 650cc road trail bike at 110kph in a headwind.
How fast are you driving?

x2, I get that with my 3FE on the highway :lol:

okay, here is my two cents. take it or leave it... i really couldn't care less.
the KZ has not proved itself to be a good engine in Canada, if you want to be the test then go for it but i suspect you have already thrown enough good money after bad.
you will get the same mileage and performance from a 22R but without the complexed wiring and the worry of head blowing (and if it does blow they are cheap and easy to repair)
sorry about the second engine dying on you. that really sucks.

now, about the bottom ends going shortly after head replacement. i suspect it is a case of not changing the oil right after the head job and before the first fire up. i feel that there is antifreeze getting into the oil thus tearing out the BEB. if you are going into the engine this far then change the bearings to be on the safe side. easy ehough job.

if i were you, and thank god i am not (i have enough $$$pits, i don't need a time bomb to add to the mix), i would either stick a HZ or PZ or 22R into that truck. do it right and call it a day OR sell the carcass and start with a truck that will be reliable.

i am amazed with you perceverence to get that thing back on the road.

(or you can give me $10K and the carcass and i will trade you for the PZJ78 i am finishing up)

as for fuel mileage, i posted up time and again that these trucks get s*** fuel mileage. think about it, you have 4.90 gearing with a tiny underpowered engine trying to move a 5000 lb vehicle down the road. they are under powered, poor fuel economy with a timb bomb engine... why anyone still buys them is beyond me, the warnings have been out there for 4 years now.

best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

cheers

Ouch, my 2L-TE just crapped itself.

1990 Surf here in New Zealand. The motor is rooted, I know that much. Just debating whether to even bother replacing the engine or just part the whole POS out or sell it to a wrecker or online via auction.

A good 2L motor is not easy to find used here in NZ but the 1KZ is more widely available and this:
Surf 3.0 Turbo Diesel 1KZ TE ~ Repower package for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
looks like it might be an option for me. The question is, how much modifying am I going to have to do to shoehorn the thing into my truck? And does it bolt straight up to my existing transmission? I have replaced engines before but this looks like a BIG job for a DIY'er with no prior diesel experience..... =(

What a dilemma. Mechanic said that the radiator was blocked and that the temp sensor was not showing the right temp in the cab and that the engine was running a LOT hotter than it was showing thus essentially slowly cooking my motor resulting ultimately in a blown motor.

I limped it home tonight and just want to cry. lol. I have not had her that long and have 6.5K in the thing already. What a waste of freaking $$. Grrrr......

boy, i hear this a lot.
yep, factory gauges suck
yep, the engine is s***.
yep, there are a lot of purchasers of the LN/LJ vehicles that realize they bought a money pit.
yep, sell it for parts and start new. too many people have dumped good money after bad into those engine bays.
or
install a 22R gasser, same fuel mileage, same power, cheaper and more reliable.

sorry to hear your misfortune. better luck next time.

1990 Surf here in New Zealand. The motor is rooted, I know that much. Just debating whether to even bother replacing the engine or just part the whole POS out or sell it to a wrecker or online via auction.

What a dilemma. Mechanic said that the radiator was blocked and that the temp sensor was not showing the right temp in the cab and that the engine was running a LOT hotter than it was showing thus essentially slowly cooking my motor resulting ultimately in a blown motor.

I limped it home tonight and just want to cry. lol. I have not had her that long and have 6.5K in the thing already. What a waste of freaking $$. Grrrr......

boy, i hear this a lot.
yep, factory gauges suck
yep, the engine is ****.
yep, there are a lot of purchasers of the LN/LJ vehicles that realize they bought a money pit.
yep, sell it for parts and start new. too many people have dumped good money after bad into those engine bays.
or
install a 22R gasser, same fuel mileage, same power, cheaper and more reliable.

sorry to hear your misfortune. better luck next time.

Yep, agreed. It's for sale now:
Toyota Hilux Surf 1990 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
and I will be surprised if it fetches 2K. Guess not all Toyota's are bulletproof then? Guess even they produce lemons, lol. I just want it gone so I can move on with life.

Now looking at the later model Prado's (circa 2002-2005) with the 1KZ motor. I WILL have it thoroughly checked out by a Diesel mechanic prior to purchase. Well worth the $200 it will cost me...

I want a bulletproof Diesel 4WD and I may now look at something other than a Toyota, this has soured me on them a bit sadly to be honest... :bang:

I have also learned NOT to buy a 20 year old Diesel vehicle, just not wise.

Ok, new question. 1KZ-TE or 1KD-FTV (i.e. old vs. new Prado engine)? I know the newer motor makes more power and uses less fuel but how reliable is the newer engine? Also which is easier and cheaper to maintain? The KD seems to run crazy high injection pressures. I guess the fuel delivery system better be up to the task... :doh:

Ok, new question. 1KZ-TE or 1KD-FTV (i.e. old vs. new Prado engine)? I know the newer motor makes more power and uses less fuel but how reliable is the newer engine? Also which is easier and cheaper to maintain? The KD seems to run crazy high injection pressures. I guess the fuel delivery system better be up to the task... :doh:

The only problems Ive had heard about on the 1KD FTV ,is the fuel injectors sometimes dying.
I dont think these new type injectors are repairable.
Seems the cooler climates have more problems from my observations,or maybe it was the dealers in that area.

The engine has been around for 17 years or so in one form or another,I imagine any teething problems are well and truly sorted by now.

seriously, look at the HZJ77 and the PZJ77...the KZ trucks are not that much cheaper than the HD engined series...
just saying to expand your choices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom