1997 KZJ95 Cranks but won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I had a radiator blow in my KZJ95. I got it towed back to my place. I went ahead and installed a 4runner radiator. Still need to purchase hose adapters. However, when I try and get the engine to turnover, it won't. It just continuously tries to start. I have tried jumping the battery. Is there anything I need to unplug?

Bugger! Did you overheat the engine when the radiator blew? If so, the general consensus is theirs a good chance you've cracked the head, though I've been lucky in the past with getting away with it. It would be worth having a compression test done to see what's happening in the head. Maybe check to see if there's coolant in the oil, or oil in the new coolant (once you get your cooling system back together).
I would take this opportunity to replace ALL hoses including the two little ones running two and from the turbo, the thermostat and I'm pretty sure theirs another hose that loops out from the head down to the block just above the injector pump. I think it has to do with the coolant system draining point. Reason is I went though all this process without replacing the mentioned hoses and nearly cooked the new head, as one of the old turbo hoses sprung a leak, pissed out all the coolant and the engine got real hot, all while going up a massive hill. Thankfully avoided cracking the head. So yeah, I think once the cooling system gets to this point, it's time for a full replacement. Only cost me about $650 for new radiator and all the above bits. And I also gave the cooling system a flush out by disconnecting one of the heater hoses and blasting as garden hose up there until the water ran clear. All easy DIY stuff 👍

Further checks, are your glow plugs working, and are you using them to pre heat? Check wiring to your injector pump and look for broken/damaged wiring or plugs. Maybe you've knocked something while removing the faulty radiator? Check the injector pump primer making sure if firms up after a couple of pushes. Check the fuel hoses from primer to IP for leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom