1992 FJ80 Center Differential & Manual Locking Hub Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks,

I picked up a non running 92 LC for some misc. parts and an ARB winch bumper. Solid California rig, no rust whatsover.

When my buddy trailered it in, I noticed that it had locking front hubs. Was this standard or an aftermarket mid that the previous owner installed? It has the center diff lock switch on the dash.

20160824_185404~2.jpg

In the US it is an add on to make it part time some overseas 80's had part time kits from the factory

Thank you for the responses.

So was it a dealer add on I take it?

Whats the value of this if id sell seperately? Desirable?

If it has locking hubs, it better be part-time 4WD, and if it's part-time 4WD it has a modded full time transfer case or imported part time case.

Not a dealer add-on, PO add on would be my guess. You can have locking hubs on a full time AWD truck, as long as you have the CDL button you can run it in RWD with the front hubs unlocked, and CDL locked. To stop the front drivetrain from spinning all the time, you'd need a part time kit installed in the TC, but this isn't required to run the locking hubs.

You can have locking hubs on a full time AWD truck, as long as you have the CDL button you can run it in RWD with the front hubs unlocked, and CDL locked.
But if you hit the button while driving it grenades, right?

But if you hit the button while driving it grenades, right?

Why would it grenade? Disengage, sure, but what would be damaged? I've not tried this personally, FYI, just not seeing the danger here. With the front hubs locked (same as stock in essence), you can lock and unlock the CDL as you please, driving at whatever speed.

I certainly would pull over and shift to N before trying to re-engage the CDL with the front hubs unlocked, FWIW.

This why I love MUD!

It has a CDL switch. Would you say a good upgrade for my unlocked 94? I like the idea of being part time.

If i do not keep, what is this worth if i sell when i part this LC out?

Your 94 is prewired for the CDL its in the FAQ on how to do the mod most people do it. Part time is debatable some people have said they have experienced better fuel mileage to where others say that any gains are minimal do a search and you will find many threads discussing pros vs cons.

Why would it grenade? Disengage, sure, but what would be damaged? I've not tried this personally, FYI, just not seeing the danger here. With the front hubs locked (same as stock in essence), you can lock and unlock the CDL as you please, driving at whatever speed.

I certainly would pull over and shift to N before trying to re-engage the CDL with the front hubs unlocked, FWIW.
Front locked, yes. But if the front were unlocked, and the CDL disengaged at 70 MPH I would think things would get mighty entertaining inside the center diff.

Front locked, yes. But if the front were unlocked, and the CDL disengaged at 70 MPH I would think things would get mighty entertaining inside the center diff.

I'm not following why this would cause damages? Front hubs unlocked, CDL locked, driving along and hit the CDL which would unlock the CDL, you just would have no drive power as it would all be directed to the front drivetrain, which isn't connected to any wheels. I'm not seeing where there would be damage caused here. If you hit the gas the revs would rise, and you wouldn't go anywhere.

If you have a viscous coupler in the center diff, then I can maybe see how there would be a struggle as it tried to direct some of that power to the rear wheels?

If you were driving and tried to re-engage the CDL it would likely grind as the front driveline isn't linked to the vehicle's speed like it would be if the front hubs were locked.

Land Cruiser transfer cases are not made from eggshells and dove feathers.
What you describe will cause no damage.

And so it was decreed! I stand corrected.

so Jon, if I were to pull out the viscous coupler and install manual locking hubs on my 92 fj80, then keep my center lock engaged to run as rear wheel drive only using the manual hubs to engage the front end? does that make sense or am i reading everything bass ackwards?

so Jon, if I were to pull out the viscous coupler and install manual locking hubs on my 92 fj80, then keep my center lock engaged to run as rear wheel drive only using the manual hubs to engage the front end? does that make sense or am i reading everything bass ackwards?
Your 92 FJ80 doesn't have a viscous coupler in the center diff. The VC transfer case came in the later FZJ80 along with rear disk brakes and full floating rear.
Installing locking hubs and locking the center diff only disconnects the front wheels from the driveline. The front driveshaft, differential, and axles are all still being driven, so you're not really doing anything useful other than not having 4 wheel drive when you need it.
You would need to either remove the front driveshaft or install a part time kit inside the transfer case to accomplish your end goal.

Personally, I don't like the way the truck handles in rear wheel drive, or front wheel drive for that matter, but that is subjective. I would remove a driveshaft and drive around for a while and see how the truck handles for you before spending any money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom