1992 FJ80 3FE Wont Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 FJ80 3FE. It has been rebuilt and de-smogged about 20K miles ago. It has headers, aftermarket fuel and intake systems. Not sure if that matters, I can give more information on vehicle if needed.

The problem though is that it wont start. It turns over and cranks with no problem. One day it was driving perfectly fine then parked it. Later that night, went to start and nothing would happen. Just sit there and cranks. The CEL comes on when the key is on and while cranking and the EFI relay clicks when cranking it over so I think the EFI is good. I smell fuel when I crank it for a little and the fuel gauge is showing fuel pressure. I figured it was spark so I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor and still came up with nothing. Just sits there and cranks. Not sure where to go from here. Was hoping for the simple EFI relay fix, but I dont think that is it from what I have read. Open to anything though. I am going insane. lol

Would appreciate anything! :) Thanks!!!

If the CEL is on, then the EFI system is ready and willing and functioning correctly. Please check for spark. Your igniter may be suspect. Typically they go intermittent before dying completely, but I had one drop dead on me as I was driving.

Try starting fluid. My 3fe has a random issue where it doesn't fire the injectors while cranking. A shot of ether and it fires right up. I went down the same road. Desmogged, de-cat, no start. New pump, new regulator, new filter, pulled and tested injectors... no start.

Try starting fluid. My 3fe has a random issue where it doesn't fire the injectors while cranking. A shot of ether and it fires right up. I went down the same road. Desmogged, de-cat, no start. New pump, new regulator, new filter, pulled and tested injectors... no start.

For sure! That's a good idea. The person I bought it from said the injectors work and are good, but they are kinda finicky. I will try this after work! Just shoot the ether in the throttle body?

If the CEL is on, then the EFI system is ready and willing and functioning correctly. Please check for spark. Your igniter may be suspect. Typically they go intermittent before dying completely, but I had one drop dead on me as I was driving.

Awesome! Haven't checked that yet. What's the best way to check the igniter? Is it in the distributor? Any write-ups out there?

Thanks guys!

Best way to check out the igniter is to replace it with known good igniter. I'm not sure there is another way to check. Where do you live?

I would agree that it sounds like the igniter as well. Exactly what mine did.

It has headers, aftermarket fuel and intake systems. Not sure if that matters, I can give more information on vehicle if needed.

What do you mean by after market fuel system? As in a stand alone EFI? That will make a big difference in trouble shooting.

Best way to check out the igniter is to replace it with known good igniter. I'm not sure there is another way to check. Where do you live?

Cool! I sure hope its the igniter. This has been driving me crazy! I have a buddy with the same year as mine though. Ill ask to see if I can swap them temporarily to determine if mine is bad or not.

What do you mean by after market fuel system? As in a stand alone EFI? That will make a big difference in trouble shooting.

It has been rebuilt and the guy did some flow work to the heads and installed a tuning device. Its not a standalone and not necessarily a piggy back. You can just connect a laptop with a 9-pin serial cable and adjust the A/F ratios. More like a tuning system I guess. I can get the exact device for you when I get home. Not sure what it is. It was on there when I bought it and haven't messed with it much as it runs fine when its running.

For sure! That's a good idea. The person I bought it from said the injectors work and are good, but they are kinda finicky. I will try this after work! Just shoot the ether in the throttle body?

Ya. I just crack the wing nut on the air filter housing and squirt it in the hole...

Cool! I sure hope its the igniter. This has been driving me crazy! I have a buddy with the same year as mine though. Ill ask to see if I can swap them temporarily to determine if mine is bad or not.

Should take about 10 minutes to swap the igniters. If it is the igniter, contact Jason (@arcteryx) at Cruiser Yard. He very well may have an igniter for a 91-92 that you can get from him used. He's great to deal with.

So you have narrowed it down to no spark?

I know you mentioned the tuning device but I'm not sure what that means. I just want to remind everyone that if you lose battery power on a de-smogged 3FE the computer will revert to factory settings and the fuel/air mix will be way off.

Also, did you confirm there is no spark? Just take one out, plug it in and hold it to ground as someone cranks. I will be quite obvious (and possibly painful) if the spark is working.

Worked on the truck today and almost positive it is spark. Sprayed starter fluid and had someone crank and it didn't make a difference. Got a test light and tested all the fuses and they all came back positive. Then got the plug and hooked it up and had my brother crank it and no spark. (grounded and un-grounded had no spark). My next thing is to test the igniter like you guys mentioned. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow and we are going to use his igniter and see if anything happens. Anything else I should try? lol

Also, thanks guys! I really appreciate the help! I sure hope I get it going soon. The love hate relationship is showing the hate part currently! haha

I didn't see but did you pull a spark plug and check for spark?

Have you replaced your distributor cap and rotor? Plug wires? Plugs? Can't remember if you have.

@UncleBanjo "Anything else to try?" Ignitor, Coil or distributor. I have also seen the pick-up coils in the distributor go bad (due to corrosion) for not using an OEM style cap with the vacuum ports.

I had the same issue. Pull your distributor out completely and inspect it. Mine managed to dropped out the pin that goes thru the gear at the bottom of the distributor shaft.

A.J

Awesome! I will open up the distributor and inspect them to the best of my knowledge as well as take some pictures for you guys as I am not 100% what it should look like. I can post the pictures up after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom