For Sale 1979 FJ40 - Excellent - South Dakota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a very, very nice 1979 FJ40 for sale, light to moderate and very proper cosmetic restoration. Mechanicals are A-1, relatively low mileage (89,000) and unmolested original vehicle. I replaced the relatively minimal rusted sheet metal with new metal and repainted. I looked for 3 years for this candidate.

Asking $18,500 obo, please pm me for pictures and details. If you want an original solid FJ40 with a few nice upgrades (ARB bumper, Corbeau seats, center console, overhead console, aluminum alloys, roof rack etc), this is it. I have all pics of original vehicle, restore process, etc., so you know what you are getting.

I know folks like to talk cruisers, which I understand, but please only serious inquiries.
DSC_0416.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rig, and it is refreshing to see 40's in the upper Midwest (I'm in Minnesota). Would you consider a deal that includes a trade for a 2003 Tundra 4x4?

Bump for a new pic

Sorry to those who have PM'ed me - work had me side tracked for a bit. Best way to contact is via email - rbaker@fmgengineering.com.

Anyway, here is a very recent pic that shows the roof rack.
DSC_1019.jpg

One more

Here is an engine bay pic. As you can tell i did the smog removal, but otherwise it is stock, just cleaned it up a bit.
DSC_0400.jpg

Nice Cruiser.

Does not appear to have p/s or a/c? Wish it was closer!

Very nice 40!

very nice

nice looking cruiser!

but for that price it needs to be perfect. looking at the pics the suspension bushings have seen better days to say the least. when's the last time they were replaced? how old are the TREs? any leaks? knuckles rebuilt?

Interested in a trade for a stock near mint FJ62?

nice looking cruiser!

but for that price it needs to be perfect. looking at the pics the suspension bushings have seen better days to say the least. when's the last time they were replaced? how old are the TREs? any leaks? knuckles rebuilt?

good catch on the missing bushings :lol:

It isn't perfect, but it is stock and fairly unmolested which to me at least is worth more than seeing some pretty red bushings and some jacked up hack job, and wondering if the thing was beat to pieces.

To my knowledge they are the original bushings. As far as leaks, the engine has none, the transfer case had the typical leak between it and tranny, so I put on the circulation hose fix that folks commonly do.

So I guess it is funny to bash a nice original cruiser, but I take offense to the "for that price it needs to be perfect" The perfect ones (whatever that is??) are listed upwards of $30 to $50K. Or if you want perfection maybe a Honda Element is in your future.

It isn't perfect, but it is stock and fairly unmolested which to me at least is worth more than seeing some pretty red bushings and some jacked up hack job, and wondering if the thing was beat to pieces.

To my knowledge they are the original bushings. As far as leaks, the engine has none, the transfer case had the typical leak between it and tranny, so I put on the circulation hose fix that folks commonly do.

So I guess it is funny to bash a nice original cruiser, but I take offense to the "for that price it needs to be perfect" The perfect ones (whatever that is??) are listed upwards of $30 to $50K. Or if you want perfection maybe a Honda Element is in your future.

Wow, did somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed?!

I asked a few simple questions because one of my customers is interested in your 40. I happen to know a little more about cruisers than he does so I replied with points/questions that should matter to anybody buying a cruiser, doesn't matter if us advertised for $5k or $18.5k......

Judging by your response and the original post, you're mostly concerned with the physical appearance of the vehicle than the need fir it to be mechanically sound. My definition of "perfect" when it comes to a 30 year old vehicle would be that it needs nothing in order to be driven reliably. Seeing the bushings and the band-aide tcase leak "repair" makes me wonder how well the vehicle has been maintained and repaired when need be.

If your definition of perfect is a Honda then maybe you should get one. Unless there's one in your garage already. I'll keep daily driving my cruiser.

Good luck with the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom