Builds 1975 frame off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
1975 frame off.

eastern rust and a po(spray foam is evil) got me.
so it's down to the frame i go...and even that is not without issue.
spent the last month and half or so ripping it apart. which was pretty easy, almost none of the sheetmetal is being re-used.
plan is to just redo what it already was, but with less rust and more fresh parts.
even the cross boxs on the shackles are rusted through.
and it will be white when it comes back, i have a 1975 that i started on years ago that is donating it's tub....that frame will then be used for a 1969 i've been sitting on.
april40E.jpg
may40E.jpg
0908.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a good start. Any special plans for your build? I look forward to watching the porgress. Good luck with your project.:steer: Brendon

the only special thing i foresee at the moment, is a non usa rear axle.
would like to do h41/3 speed tcase, 3:70 rears but i don't know about that.

RUST: Been there, done that, I sympathize. I have a set of 3.70s and a spare 3spd TC if you're interested, but seriously, why not do the "rubber overdrive" thing instead? Good luck, I'll be watching your progress!

it already has 33s on it.
the 3:70s in the 60series with 33s drives just fine.
i have a set of rears already, and have several 3speeds laying around as well.
the front axle needs done, and the rear won't come with the center section, so i might as well just do the 3:70s.
the h41 with the 3 speed would just be gingerbread.

the po was a fan of spray on, expanding foam....teh home improvement stuff...that is what killed the tub...he apparently had some "extra", so the frame got a dose as well....the rear was just wear and tear.
the passenger side rail has some problems, but not near this bad. everything forward of the tranny is perfect on both sides.
yeah the back side is getting metal glued back in, to "re-box" it.
i have a couple decent frames around, but i wanted to fix this one...just 'cause i can:flipoff2:.

took the rear crossmember off this morning.
the frame is actually "better" than i thought it was, while the crossmember is not as good as i thought it was....the welder got that, so it's all good.
frameLs.jpg
frameRs.jpg
framerearcross.jpg

finally made it around to do something this weekend.
just cell phone pix, and they always sux, but i always have it with so....
the rear crossmember needs a little cleaning up yet, then it gets glued back on.
should be ready to get a rear under it soon.
aug40.JPG
aug40B.JPG
aug40C.JPG

Nice work brian. I just went through the same thing with my rear member. Glad to be done.

I look forward to following your progress!

you may want to brace that spring hanger - don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

this summer has been rough.
it's the first one in about ten years that i have been 40less:crybaby::frown:.
a 60series might have the soul of a 40, but it also has a roof.

reached one of my milestones this afternoon...getting the rear crossmember back on.:cheers:
still have some things to clean up on the frame, but the major stuff is done. it was'nt hard by along shot, but i'm happy it's addressed.
aug40D.JPG

i wanted to hang the rear axle back under it before welding everything up in the back, but that required new shackles.
so i'll glue those together to today and hopefully get the rear under it, just to make sure everything is straight, then take it back out and do so more gluing.
shackleA.JPG
shackleb.JPG
sept40 (2).JPG

Last edited:
it got cold, i stopped working on it. in the dead of winter i got bored, so i bought heat...i love my new heat. it gets warm enough to induce sweat. the work has resumed. got my bearings squared away on the rear axle. not sure about what gears yet. i really wanted 3:70s, and i do have them, but that was when going with an h41, not sure that is going to happen now. but its warm enough to worry about it now.
DSC00001.JPG

Hat's off for saving one that many would have written off... Your skills and judgement make it slightly easier to compliment you on your shop.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom