Builds 1975 frame off. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looking good looking real good - What kind of welder/settings are you using for the frame rebuild? Im going into some very similar work. Will be following this one .

things are looking shiney and fresh.
i have a few more weeks till it gets warm enough to coat and paint the frame. so i'm going to work on a few extras. once the frame is coated, and i'm not sure with what yet, i can get on to the sheetmetal work. i'm sorta leaning towards por15 stuff for the frame...i think thats what was on it, and it worked well in most areas.

ps. i got a fresher cell phone too....notice the difference in the pix......
jan40.jpg

Last edited:
replaced some cardboard with iron, reinforced some steel, with more steel.
did'nt feel like welding, so i just added a few more tacks to last times work.
got a few cans of por15 sitting in the basement waiting on spring.
feb40B.jpg
feb40C.jpg
feb40.jpg

:eek: Holy Ferric Oxide Batman! :eek:
You are one ambitious dude! Amazing.

I'm counting myself very lucky not to be dealing with the rust demons on my rig,

that's it, i'm done welding on the frame. time to por15 it. then throw some sheetmetal at it.
got a new plaything too....i have become a fan of craigslist.

i can almost start worrying about color i'm going to paint it. the "new" tub was white. when i was working on it i was going to go with white.....but if you like white i'm sorry, i just can't do it.
i'm thinking tan, i have a set of dune beige doors, and i kind of like that color....big fan of red, but want to change it up this time.
feb40G.jpg
bluewrench.jpg

so its getting to point where i need to get on the sheetmetal.
the tub i'm using is off a '75 that i was working on 10 years ago...time flies when your having fun..apparently. it was originally white, i can't do that, it's just too much.
i've been leaning towards one of the beiges, more towards the darker one, but i have not been able to find it in a spray can yet. i did find a lighter one, but i'm not really feeling it yet.
however all bets are off if i find seafoam in a rattle can.

these pix do not show the shade well. it's a light color sorta tan with a yellowish tint to it.....like a cub cadet mower.
hoods.jpg
hood1.jpg

found another grey. this is probably as close as i'll get on a rattle can paint job.....still holding out for a seafoam though. the small lighter patch is a ford grey, the other stuff is husky grey.
hood4.jpg

Great job,how many hours do you think are in the frame? MIke

probably not that many actually. i didn't keep track of time. it was this time last year i put the jack stands under it. but i goofed off a good bit while i tryed to figure out what i wanted and or needed to do, and then till i actually did it.

the rear axle is under it for real now. the wheels are going to stay off till i paint or whatever i do to the frame.
2may40a.jpg

got the "new" or rather other tub in the shop.....it came with a chassis. that frame i worked over a good 15years ago. most parts on the new chassis are 1975 vintage. so that tub is going on the reworked 1977 frame. and that tub is nothing to brag about, i have plenty of sheetmetal work to deal with.
mean while the 1975 frame is going to hangout while i strip a 1969 tub off it's trashed frame.....in a few weeks i'll have more tin knocking to address than i care to admit.
the 75 is actually the first 40 i started work on. when the 77 that is being worked on was bought, work on the 75 ground to a halt....and now both are being grafted together.(evil laugh here)

i've had this move planned for several months now. i knew everything would fit, but was not sure how much extra room i would be dealing with, or should say have to work with. even though i drew the footprint out on the floor a few times, i was relieved to see how much room i still have.....this picture was snapped mere seconds after the trailer was moved out of frame.

now i can get the tub swapped over. pull the old F out that is in the 75(at the time it was the only workable motor i had) and get a 2F off the floor and in it.
june40s.jpg

found some help other day, and got the tub moved...they're a little heavy for two people.
this project is an exercise in what can be recovered from rust.
may12.jpg
may12B.jpg
may12C.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom