Builds 1976 '40 Resto/Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys. Its taking forever, I have actually had a bunch of time off and should have made more progress, but this is by far the coolest part of the whole project (custom design and fabrication) so I don't want to rush it. Besides, I keep find that if I set things up and then sleep on it I think of an improvement by the morning.

I am waiting on one more part, which should arrive today, and then I will start fabbin up the anti wrap bar.

Malkiewicz said:
wow... looking good... I only wish i could do fab work like this.

I think his secrect is drinking amazing amounts of beer... constantly. :D

Looks great Ian, when do they get to see your progess on the track bar?

Rezarf <><

Long time no update. As usual work continues to interfere with the important stuff like the 40... and then ski season started early ;) :grinpimp:

I have made some progress though, in between powder days. I built an anti-wrap bar since I'm SOA now and tied it into the new removable crossmember. First I bought a ton of parts and then started mocking it up. I used Woody's basic design but with heims at both ends of the top bar.
PICT1035.JPG
PICT1038.JPG
PICT1040.JPG

Then I had a total brain fart. I dunno if it was the insane quantities of beer I drank the night before or I made my coffee too strong. but I came up with a screwy design for the brackets to mount to the rear axle. :confused: :doh: :eek:
PICT1043.JPG
PICT1044.JPG
PICT1047.JPG

Then Rezarf came by and, while he gave me kudos for a very "organic" design, pointed out that it looked like an inverted nut sack on my axle.
PICT1051.JPG

It was obviously apparent that "inverted nut sack" was not how I would my fab to be thought of, so a little cosemtic surgery was in order. I got TIGy wid it, and fast...
PICT1055.JPG
PICT1056.JPG
PICT1058.JPG

The trac bar itself. Its a crappy pic, I'll try to take a better one this weekend, it looks sweet painted with the stainless heims threaded in :grinpimp:

I used 1/4" wall 1" DOM tubing with weld in inserts for the heims. I bought a heavy duty shackle (Kurt at cruiseroutfitters) for the crossmember end. The bushings at the crossmember and lower part of the rear axle bracket are just stock, reamed a bit to work on the 5/8" grade 8 bolts that fit the heims.

This was all last fall, I am about to reassemble the rear axle. I will try and sort through all the pics and post up some more :cheers: :beer:
PICT1197.JPG

awseome work man... i'm effin jealous. though, no reason to chop the nuts off your truck

Ian-

Show a little love, ski season is almost over, and I know you've got the rear close to done...

Ian-

Show a little love, ski season is almost over, and I know you've got the rear close to done...

I am finally taking a break from skiing. been out in the garage all day and I think the diff is finally done which means the whole rear axle can be assembled now. Expect pics soon. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom