1975 Fj40 Big Job :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finishing up the re-coating of the bed today :) I'll post a pic when done.

I only need my customer to pick a color for it now...

I wanna get painting this baby!

Here's some finished tub pics and some of the other body work being done.

Since I have now proceeded to the reclamation of the rest of the interior, the mounting of the ambulance door upper hinges, I re-made the driver seat bracket from scratch (that was PITA), and the paint and body stage is next.
And the pics will come as work progresses.
The new Interior and exterior color will be Dune Beige, with a White Top.

normal_112007_16203.jpg

normal_004.JPG

normal_002.JPG

Low light screws up the digital pic...

normal_003.JPG

normal_010808_14091.jpg

normal_010808_14101.jpg

Fabbing up the upper hinges here. Getting support for the weight of the door through thin double layered tin is a challenge... :)

normal_007.JPG

The dash before...

normal_008.JPG

Thr hole where a spotlight was mounted to the WS frame... I got a big ball of bondo, and broken drill bit and a couple old bolts out of the windshield frame when I did this work... :) The finished pics will come later...

normal_009.JPG

Gary

Well it's been WAY more than a week... In fact, Friday will make this job 15 months!
It left this afternoon with a very happy Driver.

So I'm going to try to get in a few more pics of the 244 I took of the job which don't include some of the above pics.

normal_180.jpg

normal_105.jpg

normal_107%20a.jpg

normal_107.jpg

normal_108.jpg

normal_112.jpg

normal_113.jpg

normal_114.jpg

normal_119%20a.JPG

normal_122.JPG

normal_123.jpg

normal_124%20b.jpg

normal_128.jpg

normal_130%20b.jpg

normal_130.jpg

I'll incert comments after I move if necessary, My wife has orders to a Carrier in Bremerton, and were leaving in 2 day's...

and Continuing....

normal_131.jpg

normal_134.jpg

normal_142.jpg

normal_148.JPG

This top is a story for boy's of all ages... As you will see the story unfold, it must have been ridden down Gravel Mountain by the Hardy Boy's. I worked for MANY hours on this top, and used a FULL Quart of 5 Star Hi-Build 2K primer... :(

normal_150.jpg

By the way... All the black paint you see is POR 15 some absolute RETARD put all over the top... After 4 hours of sanding adn getting nowhere I got out the Acetone and scotch-brite, then when that went dry I got the Methel Ethel Keytone spares out...

normal_152.jpg

This top had the original primer, original paint, then several re-paints on it, the black in both pics being POR 15 :x and the red is factory lacquer primer the two whites are attempts at painting once and what looked like horrible glass work for the other...

normal_154.jpg

Lot's and Lot's and Lot's of sanding later......

normal_155.jpg

Basecoat below... Can you see the horrible lighting conditions my poor arse could afford... :)

normal_157.jpg

normal_159.jpg

The owner thought this rig was stout and solid...

He hardly noticed a dent anywhere and he's owned it for the last 9 years....

normal_166.jpg

normal_167.jpg

normal_170.jpg

Traveling Twice the Speed of Sound it's Easy to get Hurt... That's why I wore a mask... :)

normal_182.jpg

oooo your rippin it up on the body work and prep, looks great. the doors came out great!

and the SAGA continues unabated....

A little paint ehre and there will do a body good...

Since I work alone I often forgot to take pics.... :(

normal_183.jpg

Best I could do.... Painted fenders way before this top pic... then assembled later below... Things start getting skewed a bit timewise...

normal_193.jpg

Every Good FJ needs a drivers seat!

normal_197.JPG

normal_191.JPG

Putting in full roll cage was easy... Fitting the sides, bolting them down then measuring and drilling and mounting ambulance doors on non ambulance sides is STUCKING FUPIDITY in carnate! :D Should have set the top on and gotten in 4 to 6 bolts per side in before even trying something so damn retarded... But I'm a beginner at this... :)

normal_200.jpg

Well sure the doors lined up nicely... AFTER I hit the tub and roll bar with the 5 ton port a power...

Time to mount and set the front doors...

normal_201.JPG

Gotta put in the new felts and put the wing window wetherstrips and then install the glass first...

normal_204.jpg

Skipps a lot right here but when I put teh top on I had to loosen ALL the sid bolts, the crossbar bolts and the door hinges. THEN I used the Port a power AGAIN and bent the warped roll cage and tub to conform to my standards... I bet I got 8 hours into ONLY bolting on the top :(

Now l skipped to the good part, yesterday in mid afternoon after a good bath and after mounting the rear seat.

Baby has on her New Shoes and Socks and is READY FOR THE RUBICON!

normal_206.JPG

normal_207.JPG

normal_212.JPG

normal_244.JPG

normal_213.JPG

normal_214.JPG

Finally, this last shot is just seconds before my 15 MONTH love/hate affair drove off into the sunset, to be taken to Tahoe shortly to it's old home near the Rubicon in it's New Clothes.

This is my new friend and best ever client, Mike. Enjoy Buddy! :popcorn: :clap: :beer: :cheers:

normal_0923081204a.jpg

Sincerely,

FJ-40Original, Gary.

Great job! :beer:

Are those the aluminum wheels that you started with in the first set of pictures? Did you paint them black? I have an old set of American Racing aluminum wheels that I have been studying up on how to paint them black.

If they are the wheels that the truck came with OR if they are a set of aluminum that you painted, can you tell me the steps and product you used and if you would do anything different?

Copenhagen1

great Job

I just ordered seat adapters for $85 dollars each but they are not as stout as yours. Think it might be worth your while to make and sell them?

I only found one place that does them specifically for fj40s and it's taking a couple months to get them.

Nice Cruiser cant wait to finish mine! Got a 2f/4 speed on the way then it's just body work and minor stuff!

I'm moving tomorrow and will not be back online for about 2 weeks. Washington beckons me, and the seas beckon my lovely wife, I'll give details and answer questions when I get back online in my new home.

As for the shoes and socks, they are beand new. the old centerlines went back to the owners brother.

The seat brackets I made by hand from scratch. Going through that again would be a MUTHA :)

Thanks Metal.

I had the extreme pleasure the other day when my client called me up and told me that an FJ40 fan stopped him and told him it was the finest FJ he'd ever laid eyes on...

I wrote back telling him that the guy he talked to needed to see more than 2 FJ's in order to qualify that statement... and that he was on crank...

Needless to say I was walking in the clouds for a few minutes that day :) Got a 57 Triumph TR3 comig next friday :)

Two years after project began...

One year after getting it on the road....

normal_Second%20Gen%20Owner.jpg

Here's a nice pic of the rig on the Rubicon in the snow with it's next owner (Mikes son) :)

Now is a nice pic I like to call Safari on the Serengeti...

normal_on%20the%20savannah.jpg

normal_african%20safari%20photo.jpg

I keep looking around for Lions and Tarzan when I see this pic :D

Still seeking new clients! New location in Washington state :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom