Builds Proffitts Cruisers gives Meanie a Facelift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished

Just finished installing the rear warn winch on Meanie, complete with a custom strap vs. cable. Serves as the center limiting strap on the rear pumpkin. Very happy with the GreatLakesOffroad rear diff cover. Went with standard cover without the 1/2" thick built-up center piece. Looks to be 3-times as strong as the stock cover.

Meanie just needs fuel and a good washing prior to Roundup. Big Tex is ready to go. Can't wait.

ps. For those of you that ever wondered why they REALLY call it a Chev.
14-bolt, not sure, but I think it has something to do with the 14 round things that screw into the cover. :doh:

Sweet rig for cat in Commerce Texas. Cut through the country and stop in "Black Cat Thicket, Texas" and check out my FJ40 Farm Utility Vehicle.

Again, that is too cool for Commerce! Way to go!

Ya know, We got this part of Texas covered from Bonham to Greenville to Commerce.

Russell, are you still towing with the single axle 2500 Chevy?

Jim A and I went to Phoenix this winter with my buggy and his buggy on my 29+4' Gooseneck pulling with my 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew.

With my camping trailer on the front and all the camping gear on the gooseneck, the gross load was 250# shy of the max listed in the owners manual.

Reason I mention this is that Big Tex probably weighs as much as Jim and my buggy combined.

You may want to play with the loads a little and load Meanie on backwards and Tex on the rear just to put more weight on the trailer and off the rear axle.

The real limiting factor is the single rear tires. May not be that big of a deal to you, but I thought you might want to run it over the scales sometime to make sure you are OK.

Russell, are you still towing with the single axle 2500 Chevy?

Jim A and I went to Phoenix this winter with my buggy and his buggy on my 29+4' Gooseneck pulling with my 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew.

With my camping trailer on the front and all the camping gear on the gooseneck, the gross load was 250# shy of the max listed in the owners manual.

Reason I mention this is that Big Tex probably weighs as much as Jim and my buggy combined.

You may want to play with the loads a little and load Meanie on backwards and Tex on the rear just to put more weight on the trailer and off the rear axle.

The real limiting factor is the single rear tires. May not be that big of a deal to you, but I thought you might want to run it over the scales sometime to make sure you are OK.

Yes, same diesel 2500 Duramax PU. I loaded both on the trailer and went to Clayton a couple of weeks ago with no mishaps but you have a good point, and one that I have not considered. Thanks.
RA:doh:

Yes, same diesel 2500 Duramax PU. I loaded both on the trailer and went to Clayton a couple of weeks ago with no mishaps but you have a good point, and one that I have not considered. Thanks.
RA:doh:

Yeah, my dad tows his Trackhoe and Dozer behind his 2500 and that is WAY more than you are towing, BUT he only does it for short distances.

Looking forward to wheeling with you and your boy in a few days.

I'm all about the limit strap on the ATV winch!!! I use that same winch in the rear with my 4link to control the suspension, I'm going to try that out! How did you attach it to the drum?

Jason

roundup was my first time out in the new rig. i loved it. it did so much more than the old meanie. i have no complaints about the rig. the proffitts crew did such an awesome job on the detail and performance of this rig it blows me away.

I'm all about the limit strap on the ATV winch!!! I use that same winch in the rear with my 4link to control the suspension, I'm going to try that out! How did you attach it to the drum?

Jason

Used 4000 test strap and ran a screw through it and through the cable slot. Cut off the excess. Seems to have held up fine at roundup.
Russell

i loved the ATV winch. it helped out alot when i was going down something pretty steep, it made me a little less nervous.

From what Butch Baker told me, breaking a 14-bolt axle is pretty tough to do but Matthew figured how to do it. He just misunderstood my command when he was needing to "bump it" to get up something Big Tex walked up. When I said "now get on it and don't let off", Matthew thought I said "Nail it and don't EVER let off the throttle, even if you hear loud breaking noises when the vehicle hits the ground going backwards:whoops:......"

Thankfully, it turned out to be an inexpensive lesson and I doubt he will ever break another rear axle. I have the whole thing on video. I will post up a link once I figure out how to do that!

We will carry spare stock 14-bolt axles from now on.

Russell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom