Comparing Rooftop tent vs. OzTent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you may know I had a Mombasa RTT that I recently sold and picked up an OzTent.
I really thought I'd be a rooftop tenter forever but I'm trading in my pickup for something else and which means kayaks have to go on the roof.

This isn't a long term review by any stretch, just my initial thoughts comparing the two.

oztent_010830015_zpsqozg66pq.jpg

The smallest OzTent, the RV2 is what I have and it is very comparable to the Mombasa RTT, 2 person tent. The MSRP is the same. The RV2 can sleep 3 people but if you want to use the tent for anything other than sleeping, I'd suggest getting the next size up if you have 2 or more people.

The Oztent is made from the same ripstop polycotton fabric but aside from that, the materials look more durable. The window screens are better on the Oztent. And for once in my life, I did not have any issues at all with the carry bag ripping while it was in transit. I was relieved about that after it's 1,000 mile maiden voyage after all the trouble I had with the cover on the RTT. Not only did the carry bag not rip, it's the perfect size to put the tent inside very easily without fighting with it or getting fabric caught in the zipper. More points for the Oztent.

The Oztent is being promoted as a convenient tent that sets up in 30 seconds. For me, quick setup is a must and it has to be easy to set up in pitch black darkness by one person.

If you start the clock before you even take it out of the carry bag and stop it before you stake the tent or put up any rain flies, yes, it's actually a little under 30 seconds.
But comparing it to the RTT, the RTT sets up in even less time if you don't factor in the window awnings.
If you just flip open an RTT and extend the ladder, that only takes about 10 seconds. Then again, that doesn't take into consideration unzipping the cover.

And if you consider that sleeping bags and linens can be stored in an RTT and you don't need to set up a cot or mattress in an RTT, you can shave off some set-up time there, but all in all, it takes about the same amount of time if you were to stake the oztent and put up a rainfly and open the awning. I'd say about 15 minutes. If you had one of the hard top crank up RTTs, you'd have everyone beat.

Once you prop up the Oztent, it can be used without a rainfly or the awning and technically it can be used without staking if it's not real windy. So if you've had a long day and you're exhausted and just want to go to sleep, I would say the Oztent has a slight advantage.

So just total setup time, they're about the same.

But setup time isn't everything.

The part that's easy to forget is the installation, removal and storage.
The RTT was a lot heavier and getting it secured to the roof rack took time and was a lot of work.
If you put it up at the beginning of the season and take it off at the end, and get a lot of use out of it in the mean time, it can certainly be worth the effort. But it's still a hell of a lot of effort.

The Oztent RV2 tips the scales at 45 lbs with all the accessories and a rubber mallet in the carry bag. It's a lot easier to throw the oztent on the roof than the RTT and it's easier to find a place to store it.

The OzTent has the clear advantage in that department. Throw it on the roof rack and a couple of rubber straps keep it tightly in place.

Despite the difference in size, weight and shape and what I assumed would be less drag with the Oztent, there was no difference whatsoever in fuel economy on the highway. None.

One of the really nice differences between an Oztent and an RTT is you can bring in chairs and a table and hang out in the tent without being in a horizontally oriented position. You can also stand up in an OzTent which eliminates the need for a separate changing room. I have really missed having a tent where you can do this in case it's raining and you want to be sheltered from the elements and it's not bed time. On the other hand, the mattress in the RTT was far more comfortable than the cot.

Another obvious convenience is when you realize you left something "downstairs" when you're in an RTT versus when you're in an Oztent.

Ventilation...
Ventilation on the Oztent could use some improvement but I wasn't surprised. You don't have big expansive windows on all sizes and the mesh is much tighter than on the RTT.

My biggest complaint with the Oztent so far is that the rear window cannot be zipped closed from the inside. I can't understand how they left out an inner flap on the rear window when they included them for the side windows!
headscratch.gif

The rear window is sloping and you can roll it open or closed or stake it open with the awning.
If you leave it open, and you sleep beside it, you can look up at the stars.
Because it's such a big window, it's one of those things where in the summer time, you will probably want to go to bed with the window open but if it gets chilly in the middle of the night, you will want to zip it closed. That requires a trip outside to the back of the tent.
The RTT, never made me do that.
The RTT windows can all be closed from inside the tent and even the mesh can be unzipped. So the RTT has the clear advantage when it comes to windows. And views. And ventilation.

The Awning...
The awning that comes with the OzTent is a nice touch. If you don't already have an awning, it's a nice thing to have. Depending on how you orient your RTT, the RTT itself can provide some shelter as well so I'd say they're actually about even here. The awning is a bit tricky to set up by one person using stakes in the ground.

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/phoohp10/media/oztent_020830015_zps56bovkyh.jpg.html

Another thing I will miss about the RTT, is what a conversation piece it was. I couldn't take that thing anywhere without it getting compliments and people stopping by to see what it was. So far, that hasn't happened with the Oztent. It could; but it hasn't yet.

Being able to set up the tent and leave it there while going somewhere in your vehicle, if you need to, is an another benefit over the RTT.

Aesthetically, the Oztent isn't really that much to look at. It's a very utilitarian design. The fabric looks a lot more wrinkled than I was hoping for.

A couple of things remain to be seen. How it does in the pouring rain and how much the tent tolerates uneven sloping ground. I have some doubts about the floor not ripping.

oztent_030830015_zps76bk5my7.jpg

So far, I'd say the OzTent is a good alternative to an RTT depending on your priorities.
I'll update after I've got some more hours on it. We'll see if I still feel that way.

Last edited:
Very impressive write up, and I had not thought of the idea of the oztent on the roof racks. The long length
of the Oztent seemed a bit inconvenient to me, but your attitude sort of put that concern to rest. I have just
bought a used Maggiolina, my first RTT. I am going to the Yukon, and camp in what other people call the
'offseason - fall and winter. So I am experimenting with the inconvenience of climbing onto the roof of my
truck every night with not having to find a dry/flat unmuddy spot to set my tent up.
But having a tent to stand up in, on the ground, certainly has its advantages.

Never bought an $800+ small ground tent before. So, what out of the ordinary features or qualities justify the price? (Curious, not sarcastic.)

I don't own one, but I've in and around several that friends owned. The biggest draw to them is the quality of materials and ease of setup. Think canvas tent quality, but RTT ease of setup. The biggest downer is the weight and packed size.

The long length
of the Oztent seemed a bit inconvenient to me,

I was a little uneasy about the length too but most vehicles, except maybe a wrangler, will have room to actually put it inside the vehicle if you want to secure it and lock it up if you need to. That was something I always worried about with the RTT when I parked in some deserted parking lot to go hiking or paddling, the RTT could be stolen with a wrench.

Never bought an $800+ small ground tent before. So, what out of the ordinary features or qualities justify the price? (Curious, not sarcastic.)
Materials aside...
It's been some time since I had an inexpensive ground tent. Before the Oztent I had the RTT and before the RTT I had a truck camper and before that there was a lull in camping but the ground tents I have used were pretty low end. Required two people to set up and pack away. Condensation was always an issue. Waking up soaking wet in the morning. Staking was required. I don't have any experience with the inexpensive spring open tents although I did look at getting one earlier this summer. The sizes of those were pretty small though. You couldn't stand up and walk around. Or course they were much smaller and lighter to pack up but that wasn't a huge concern of mine. I'd rather sacrifice weight savings for more interior space.

I did watch the videos for the coleman instant tent and while that is certainly a big tent, the reason I decided not to give that a try is because it always seemed to require 2 people to put it up. And those typical tent poles with the buttons you have to press in to unlock them. It just looked like the typical tent-erection cluster.

The other thing about the coleman is that it doesn't look like a rainfly is going to be an option on those. The walls are all sloped and here on the rainy east coast where it has been raining non stop for the past 3 weeks and there is a flood outside my window, more time would have to be spent, in the dark, tying up a rainfly. The Oztent saves time in that the only sloped wall is the rear and you can simply close that window to keep rain out.

Maybe one day I'll get a chance to actually try one of the other tents out though.

Nice write up. Another small advantage of the Oz is how quiet they are when it is windy. On a recent trip with a large group of campers we experienced a windy night. Nearby tents made of nylon or similar material made a loud rustling and snapping sound while the Oz was nearly silent. That made for better sleeping.
Another comparison between the RTT and Oz, ground tent, is the get up in the middle of the night and pee issue.
Love the Oz tent. Not perfect, but close.

I'll add my perspective since I'm a newb to the site and could use some extra posts. :)

I own the OZ Jet tent and a James Barroud RTT. The tent was about $1,000 and I don't even want to say how much I paid for the RTT. My Jet Tent packs down to a length of about ~42 inches and about 14 inches in diameter. It weights about 50 lbs. Great quality of materials, sets up pretty fast. Staking it out takes more time then anything else. Then breaking it down is a bit of a pain with all the stakes and lines. I use this tent when I'm taking my 2 girls. It's super roomy, thick, doesn't get as hot inside as the nylon based tens and doesn't flap around. It has an awning that I can sit under and stay out of the sun and 3 windows for plenty of ventilation. It's not for everyone, it big, it's heavy and not the quickest to setup and take down but for a basecamp type of setting it makes sense for us.

When I'm on my own or with just 1 girl, I take the RTT. I love the speed of setting up and closing up. Mine is a hardshell with the built in fan and light. The whole thing can be opened up for plenty of air. I must admit that being high gives me a little sense of security from the creepy crawlers and coyotes (where I go camping).

The more you use them the less wrinkly they get..

Having never owned a RTT I haven't got much in way of comparison, but having numerous set ups of ground tents I wouldn't hesitate going with the OZtent.. joining two together makes a pretty solid little fortress.

Sleep in one - clothes and whatever else in the other one.

Side awnings for wind protection if needed and you are laughing.

The best set-up I have seen so far was a heavy duty double size gazebo with side awnings around most of it and the tent underneath one side.

These people had rugs.

RUGS!

But it looked solid ;)

Nice Write-up. I have had an ARB Simpson III, Ezi-AWn Globetrotter and now an Oztent-4. If you are worried about the fly, there is a ground tarp they sell. I got that, the rainfly and the zip on room. Havent set up the zip on room yet.

The mattresses in the RRT can be very comfortable. You can also get quality cots that are comfortable. Not as much freedom to move around.

Yet you can swing your legs over, sit up on the Cot and put your shoes on a lot easier than you can in an RRT

I have a RACOR Garage hoist I bought on Amazon.com for $150. I used it to take the RRT off the roof by myseld and also to store the Oztent out of the way

The biggest issue with the Oztent is its size. You can bolt it on the roof rack, Mine fits inside the 100 series. I have contemplated swapping the Oztent for the Jettent as it packs down in a shorter length

The biggest benefit to the Oztent is you set it up fast and then go wheeling. You can put a table and stuff in it and set up for a few days even adding the sidewalls on the front room

Just my 2cents

I have had my OZtent RV-3 for maybe 5 years. We usually only go camping in the winter months. Here in Western Australia it doesn't really get cold, just wet. I wanted something that was easy to set up, compared to our massive Coleman dome tent. That thing was a home-wrecker.

Overall very happy with my OZtent. Its had a heap of use all over WA and still haven't had any problems with it...

Haven't used an RTT so can't compare.

Just an update. One of the reasons I bought the OZtent was it fit perfectly under the Canopy of my Camper. Due to the size issue and the Jet tent being smaller in pack weight, I sold the Oztent and got a Jet tent. The Oztent is awesome, but packing is a pain and I didn't want to put it on the rack without a case (Thule) as I like to keep my stuff out of the weather when you can. haven't tried the Jet tent, but it sets up and packs up pretty quickly

Tepui apparently has something similar to an OzTent. @Box Rocket had sent me some info on them awhile back.

View attachment 1250352
Yes Tepui calls that an Awning Extension because it can be attached to the outer edge of a Tepui awning. They can be used for additional sleeping and/or a protected sitting area. Tepui also offers walled enclosures for the awnings so that the area between the truck and Awning Extension can be completely protected if you want privacy or the weather is bad. Pretty cool setup.

FJ_Cruiser_with_Tepui_Accessories_0050_1_1024x1024.jpg

DSC_8377.JPG

Old post...but, what are the dims on the awning extension tent? Is it the size of a RV5?

I just picked up an RV5....I used a rtt for a couple years. My main gripe was the damn cover. Crawling all over the rig just to put it back on. Total pain. Tucking everything in, zipper getting stuck, ugh. My impression of the Oztent is just like the original post. Yes, it does set up in 30 seconds. Yes, it will take longer staking it out and setting up the cots, etc. But I can live with that.

I have both, a rtt on my m101 and the rv2. I use the RV2 on solo trips where I don't want to drag the trailer. With my wife along its always the trailer and RTT -- the tent then becomes a shelter/change room.

Very versatile tent, wished I bought it years ago (new to me last year). OP's review is spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom