Builds after KOH LV build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang Jack, best be careful or that things gonna turn out pretty! :D

Cruised up the the high country to escape the heat. Checked out a couple different lakes and scouted some cool camping spots. Good times
IMG_6532.JPG
IMG_6530.JPG
IMG_6546.JPG
IMG_6545.JPG

Took the wagon up north again to escape the heat. Did some canoeing at Blue Ridge Reservoir.
Driving from the shade of pine trees and 70 degrees down to the valleys blazing 105 was rough. The Cruiser did pretty good, a few coughs and sputters but no overheating. I ,on the other hand, felt like I melted by the time I got home. Still another great trip though.
IMG_6550.JPG
IMG_6556.JPG
IMG_6563.JPG

Got plans to head up to Jerome this weekend. It's this cool, funky, touristy town with alot of charm. We are going to check out some things, visit the Gold King Mine, then go wheeling some trails that take us up to 7000 ft to cool off.
I have been wanting to drive the wagon up there since the day I bought it. Supposedly, it lived there for many years before appearing in the junk yard in Phoenix. A friend actually remembers seeing my wagon in one junk yard before it moved to the Toyota Salvage yard. This is where Bman saved it in 2006. It mostly sat around, changed owners then back to Bman. I bought it from him in 2010.
Here's a picture of it sitting in the once totally great Toyota Salvage Yard in 2006.
og1.JPG

Another great road trip. Checked out Jerome, got some tasty grub and cold beer at the Mile High Cafe, wandered around my favorite Jerome place, the Gold King Mine. Then we hit the Smiley Rock trail and camped up top on Woodchute Mountain. Got a low temp of 55 last night. It was great.
The header wrapped made a noticeable difference in floor board temps.
IMG_6605.JPG
IMG_6607.JPG
IMG_6581.JPG
IMG_6602.JPG

Just read through this build, hoping for motivation to start my own build.
Such perfect patina; great truck. Can't wait to start my build. Bought a '67 that i helped my friend Tom drive from OK to CA 15 years ago. It's purple. like... really purple. But a running driving rig; just needs some TLC.
Plan is FJ60 tranny/transfer/axles/column/harness/... and maybe dash/HVAC.

Glad to see this thread as a motivator and people enjoying the pix. That's what it is all about. Enjoyment. Sure, I could have done this major frame off and had a perfect wagon..............maybe even sell it for $180K:D

but then I would be afraid to use it like I do and drive the hell out of it. It's like a whole other world when driving the wagon around. A good one. People seem extra friendly and always want to ask questions about it. Like it puts people in a good mood just like the driver.:steer:

Anyways, I found info in here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1966-resto.812641/page-5

about a cool heater valve. Finally got it installed tonite. Should help cut down on the inside cabin temps.
IMG_6630.JPG

Headliner question: I saw in the 4.5LV build that you don't use the wood for the headliner? It has something built into it? So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard was the install?
Also, what should the bows look like? Mine has these little bows held up with bits of sheetmetal folded over. Then there are larger bows... but they look like they came out of an FJ55...
My headliner has already been done once... spent a few hours yesterday scraping carpet padding of the roof.

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

They did not use the wood on the edges when they installed my headliner. They glued it, then it gets covered with some welting as trim. I paid an upholstry shop to do it. Cost me $230. They also fabricated the missing bows. They used some small metal wire like the stuff you mentioen attached to your roof supports.. It turned out pretty good. So, I can't really say how hard it was to install. I can say it was money well spent on the install though. They also glued some insullation onto the bottom side of the roof. Much cooler now too.

I installed one from SOR in my '63 LV, after doing it I would gladly pay $230 or more to have it professionally done. It was a big PITA for me and I had some wrinkles in the rear corners I could never get out. On the '64 LV I am def. going with a professional install, lesson learned!

I hear ya. I was willing to pay more, but was happily suprised it was only $230. Beats the heck out of me crawling around inside the wagon.

I wonder then... if it's cheaper to have the upholstery also sew/create the headliner...

Just an FYI, mine was a SOR headliner kit, I paid to have installed. There's really not much too it, so I bet it would not cost much more.

Took the wagon up north this weekend. Went to watch a couple friends in a trials motorcycle event. Cool event and a great area in the woods. The wagon drew alot of attention. Was nice and cool up there too. Wagon ran great and actually runs alittle cooler with the heater valve closed.
IMG_6638.JPG
IMG_6642.JPG
IMG_6632.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom