Reserves/NG no longer considered veterans? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Recently I've had to fill out some paperwork in a variety of different industries (e.g. healthcare, legal, etc.) and the section on Veteran status on each form had no option for Reserves or National Guard.

I don't recall all of the Veteran statuses they listed, but I recall: Active Duty, Active Duty Retired, Protected Veteran, Other Protected Veteran, Desert Storm, Vietnam.

None of these accomodate Reserves/NG, and I'm wondering now if those who only did weekend warrior duty are no longer considered Veterans?

Welcome Joe and thank you for your service!!

Sorry, I've been AF Retired since '88 - you can't believe how much has changed since then.

But, someone in here must know the answer to your question.

How about it, guys??

@Chungas Revenge @Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 @rkymtnflyfisher @spotcruiser @UltraFJ @dieseldog @krzyabncanuck @sggoat @FluByU @WB8LBZ @M0untaineer @69LC @Cdbailey @retrofive @FJCowboy @ErikinSC @reconranger @CharlestonG8R @honk @Beau Diddly @collk22 @daniel.watters @Walkerm916 @Scuddyp4 ??

Can anyone answer Joe's question?

Thanks!!

This may help...Please review the links below.

For non-disabled users, active duty for training by National Guard or Reserve soldiers does not qualify as "active duty" for preference.

'm wondering now if those who only did weekend warrior duty are no longer considered Veterans?

Can anyone answer Joe's question?

For disabled veterans, active duty includes training service in the Reserves or National Guard, per the Merit Systems Protection Board decision in Hesse v. Department of the Army, 104 M.S.P.R.647(2007).

http://www.mspb.gov/netsearch/viewdocs.aspx?docnumber=247810&version=248082&application=ACROBAT

Also check out the following link..http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42324.pdf

http://www.va.gov/vetsinworkplace/docs/em_activeReserve.html

Veteran Status for National Guard and Reserve Service-members
To be eligible for VA benefits, members of the National Guard and the reserve components must
meet the same standards as other claimants. In many cases, however, they do not meet the active
duty standard or length of service standard and are therefore ineligible for VA benefits.

Members of the National Guard and reserves who are never activated for federal active duty military
service do not meet the active duty requirement.
National Guard and reserve members who are called to active duty and serve the full period for
which they are called meet both the active service and length of duty requirements.

National Guard and reserve members also qualify as veterans for the purposes of VA benefits if they aredisabled or die from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

Slowly just picking away at our military... Next will be you can only be considered a vet if you served in combat

Some people already think that way... Had a discussion and I asked what about the active member who worked in the states for the last 20 years or the drill sergeant and he has said he didn't consider them vets ... Because they weren't in combat ... Try to reason with a lib ... You get that kinda dumb look like 'I know I'm wrong but I'm going to argue my point anyway'

180 days active duty is the number if I remember correctly, I could inquire with a couple NG guys I work with next week.

wondering now if those who only did weekend warrior duty are no longer considered Veterans?

Brother - For what it's worth, if you shouldered a musket on the parapet, (reserves or active duty) you're a vet in my book. Just my 2cents.....Take that and another six bucks and you can buy a latte grande at Starbucks!!

I have the utmost respect for anyone who served active duty in any branch, and don't mean to hold up Reserve/Guard to the same standard as Active Duty because, quite frankly, it's not the same. Whether Active as a Quartermaster, nurse/doctor, scrubbing urinals on a boat, or doing multiple tours in a combat zone, all of these folks should be taken care of and have benefits extended to them (much moreso than what is provided today).

Guess it's just a little depressing us weekend warriors, legally, are no longer considered Veterans. O well.

E-5 / 19E - Tank Commander / 2nd/107th Armored Cav

I highly, highly recommend joining a service organization like the VFW or American legion to name a few. I am in the process of joining the VFW myself. They have folks there who specialize in helping with crap like this. They also have a pretty strong lobbying group that help protect the rights of veterans. In my opinion, The guardsmen and reservists who I served along side during the Gulf war and afterwards, were not unlike any of us regular active duty folks. Their planes put bombs on target just like our aircraft.

180 days active duty is the number if I remember correctly, I could inquire with a couple NG guys I work with next week.

I don't know if this 'plays', but regarding the 180 days... I received an email today, from military retired pay, regarding the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the fact that Tricare satisfies military retirees' requirement, under ACA... Please note the last paragraph, below:

Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all Americans including all military members (active duty, retired, Selected Reserve, or Retired Reserve) and their eligible family members must have health care coverage that meets a minimum standard called minimum essential coverage or pay a fee. Your TRICARE coverage meets the minimum essential coverage requirement under the ACA.

"The term "active duty" means full-time duty in the active service of a uniformed service for more than 30 consecutive days".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom