Upgraded to fj60 disc front and not enough stopping power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that brake fluid looks nasty

If you don't have a prop valve with disk brakes and are using a master cylinder from a dual drum setup, I believe you will push the same pressure and volume of fluid to the front and rear brakes (or whatever bias was built into the original drum/drum setup).
When you put disks on the front, the piston is larger in the caliper so the same volume of fluid provides less pressure on the brakes.
A proportioning valve will bias the pressure so that more volume goes to the front and less to the rear ( to be honest this may be pressure but the idea is the same, you can tune breaking force as a function of pressure or volume from front to rear).

Typically a sign of poor bias is the rear brakes locking before the front. It sounds like you don't have this problem, but this is information anyway.

-nick

the proportioning valve is needed to dial the rear brake force down

this is separate from the residual valves in the master cylinder - you should not have a residual valve in the circuit to the disks

Fighting the same issues. Have a working OEM brake booster on my 71. Upgraded the front brakes to 60 series, stock drums on rear. What Master Cylinder would drop in and work without a proportioning valve? I am think a 60 series. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom