Traction mats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I'm after your opinions and advice on suggested sand/ mud traction mats. I want something that is robust enough for some bridging too. What can you suggest/ have experience of? What's the best and why really.
Appreciate any help you can offer.

Regards.

Welcome to MUD!
if you want bridging, that will complicate and make things more expensive and cumbersome, depending on weight needs.

One traction and perhaps bridging solution that was discussed as an inexpensive DIY approach were plastic/fiberglass (IIRC) grates.

The common commercially available traction mats are Treds and MAXTRAX. We run MAXTRAX in our shop vehicles. They are not recommended by the manufacturer for bridging but we have used MAXTRAX doubled up for bridging with success.

LINKY

- Steve

So I have a set of Treds. As far as getting out of loose dirt, snow, and mud they haven't worked out as well as I was hoping. If you don't have the rear locked I'd start there, almost all the situations where I've needed the Treds would not have happened if I had the rear locked, and an Aussie locker isn't too expensive. So while I think they're a good thing to have just in case, I'd put them on the list after lockers, winch, good tires, and a shovel.

Personally I prefer the design and performance of the Maxtrax. I have a pair that I carry, I've never used them for bridging but have seen them used that way doubled up with good success. From all the ones I've seen in person the Maxtrax are the best.

Thanks gents for your replies and cartercd's link. Much appreciated.
Has any one tried out the CRUX off road ladder yet?
http://www.cruxoffroad.com
Cheers.

Thanks for noticing our bridging ladders! We just came out with these and are adding more accessories as soon as possible. These not only bridge but also do an exceptional job as a traction aid, and they have cleats on the bottom to keep them from being spun out by the tire or sliding on slick surfaces or rock. Also the inset ends means they are much less likely to be kicked up as the tire climbs onto them. The muddy conditions at the Overland Expo in May meant we were able to help a number of people out who were stuck in the mud. We are also working on a heavy duty version rated for heavy full size trucks and vans.

2015-04-01 11.31.05.jpg

Little age on this thread but does anyone know of a direct objective comparison review of the maxtrax types and the crux ladders? Lost of reviews saying maxtrax are awesome but the crux ladders being new dont have that depth of utilization. I was at Overland Expo (E) and drove around just fine in all that mud with a trailer, but it did highlight the need for some sort of traction aid in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom