Oil Catch Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my EGR valve out awhile back to replace it and noticed Oil sludge all over the extended tube that fits inside the intake Also looking in the hole it has lots of build up sludge, At least more than I expected.
Has anyone here put an oil catch tank in the PCV system to try and eliminate the sludge and build up?
Ive seen a thread related to diesels. What about gas engines

Older engines typically have more saturated blow-by flowing through the PCV valve due to ring & cylinder wear.
Normally super-hot EGR gas mixes with the crankcase blow-by PCV gas and the crud 'vaporizes' into carbon while traveling through the intake EGR/PCV inlet tube. When the EGR is plugged or disconnected, the heating source for the PCV gas is eliminated and the resulting crap can muck up the works.

Workaround:

Spray some Berryman's B-12 Chemtool through the PCV inlet hose when the engine is hot & at fast idle from time to time to clean the crud out.

I like the idea of keeping it simple. Its obvious the EGR hasnt been working for a while along with a Previous owner thermostat that didnt have the o ring installed, the engine probably never got up to real running temperature. this thing is pretty sludgy.Will this put an already old Catalytic converter over the edge?

I just had this same conversation with the parts guy at the local Toyota dealership last week. He built a DIY PCV line 'catch can' with metal beads inside it and installed it inline between the PCV valve and the intake. The metals beads provide surface area for condensate from the PCV gas to hold onto, acting as a filter to separate particulates from the gas before it goes into combustion chamber. He bought the catch can/beads from Home Depot from a pressure washer type application and installed it on his passenger car; claims his gas mileage improved.

I haven't yet built one for my 60, but it is on my radar. I imagine it would look something like this:

upload_2015-4-1_21-53-2.jpeg

FWIW, you can clean and reinstall the OEM PCV valve. Just put it in a plastic baggie with a snort of Sea Foam over night, blow it out with air and you're good to go. I'd also replace the hoses and PCV grommet (buy OEM from Toyota) and hose clamps. Also, dump 1/2 a bottle of Sea Foam into the crank case engine oil ~50 miles before your next oil change and that will help clean out sludge building up inside.

Typically converter failures fall in to one of the following categories:
  • Physical damage due to corrosion, or from the converter contacting a large object on the road surface.
  • Contamination - due to excessive oil consumption, internal coolant leak, or excessive carbon build up.
  • Melted substrate - due to engine misfires which lead to excessive converter temperatures.
  • Thermo quenching - hot converter is cold quenched when driving through deep water or into deep snow.
  • Converter aging/lack of engine maintenance - cycles of damaging engine conditions will eventually deteriorate converter performance

There is a fair amount of info on this already, with some of it in the 80 section(IIRC)
Oil Catch Can-FJ60 001.JPG
I ended up replacing the PCV hardline with hose and tying on to the stock PCV valve with the plumbing as pictured in the attachment.
I have not run the motor (2FE) yet, but the research says it ought to work.

Oil Catch Can-FJ60 001.JPG

Also, just a consideration for those looking to go DIY and build their own catch can system, it's going to have to hold vac to prevent air leaking in and must also be removable/resealable to dump the oil that collects and clean the 'filter'.

I think THIS might be one choice at JEGS. They claim it is designed specifically for PCV.

55552205.jpg

HERE are some other options.
& HERE is another available at JEGS.

HERE is a good link to a review and installation of one product in a corvette. (Not the JEGS model shown above).

Last edited:
Slow Left and Output Shaft, the one Ouput has pictured is the one I have installed.

I think THIS might be one choice at JEGS. They claim it is designed specifically for PCV.

55552205.jpg

HERE are some other options

& HERE is a good link to a review and installation of one product in a corvette. (Not the JEGS model shown above).
Slow Left and Output Shaft, the one Ouput has pictured is the one I have installed.

Cool. I looked up options at Home Depot, and this I found that Husky makes a similar type (for air compressors) for only $12.69:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-...70403AV/100027474?N=5yc1vZc40e#specifications

I haven't taken a look at the Husky one yet to see if it holds vac, but the specs say it is rated up to 21 SCFM at 90 PSI, so I would imagine there is an O-ring of sorts in there...

That Husky thing at HD is an air filter and water coalescer, not designed as an oil separator... though may work well enough.

Last edited:
Yeah, it may well work. I'm trying to think of specs (materials, ratings, limits, etc.) that would indicate whether or not the Husky would get the job done. I wonder if they use the same manufacturer and just slap a different brand label on it.

The physics behind the principle of water versus oil vapor condensing on a cooler, high area surface is the same. Just thinking that things like the plastic melting temp or reactivity of the filter element material or stainless steele metal beads (if one decides to swap out the filter element with beads) must be taken into consideration...

Oh, sweet! That blue is very stylish.

So that valve at the bottom of the catch can needs to be flipped around, then...I'll see if Husky gives me that option...

Here is the JEGS model installed in a FJ60 with a 2F. It's included bracket can fit under an existing bolt. None of the original PCV hoses need to be cut. The innards are typical of a common oil/water separator... It's just smaller. The bottom clear bowl can unscrew when it is mounted on the bracket. Easy to go 'back to stock' if you wanted to for some reason:

BUT... before you get all excited about it. See my later post on actual use.

oil separator.jpg

PCV oil separator 2.jpg

JEGS.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, that thing looks like a water separator/filter for compressed air systems....

heh

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom