Tricks to Quiet Down a 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
I'll admit it: I'm getting older. The buzz of the exhaust on my old '86 Toyota is getting annoying. I can't comfortably drive the truck over 50 mph anymore because its so loud in the cab. It is the reason why I have only put 1k miles on the truck in the last 18 months. I feel like I've done the basic sound deadening exercises, but it isn't enough. I need help to quiet this thing down.

The current specs are:
Drivetrian: 22re/w56/dual cases, 4xinnovations motor and transfer case mounts
Exhaust: Stock manifold, 2.25" exhaust from the manifold down, Magnaflow cat, stock Scion XB resonator, stock FJ Cruiser muffler & pipes, FJ Cruiser TRD exhaust tip
Interior: Stock, with dynomat everywhere.
Stereo: What I wish I had in my car when I was 16.

What did I miss that is making my truck unbearable to drive on the highway? Do I need a different exhaust? Are the motor mounts causing my headaches? I keep wanting to solve this problem with a LS motor, but it's not in the cards in the foreseeable future.

thanks for the help.

Last edited:
4cyl, 2 1/4" pipes (intact, I assume), a factory resonator and muffler from two quiet vehicles. Your exhaust shouldn't be that loud.

Based on your mods I would blame the drivetrain mounts. I'm unfamiliar with your product though.

Are these mounts just the 'rubber' parts?
-Or are we talking full on metal skid-style mounts.

If possible see if you can source softer rubber parts for the mounting?

The vibrations could be turning your cab into a speaker.

Put sound deadening on the firewall?

Based on your mods I would blame the drivetrain mounts. I'm unfamiliar with your product though.

I'm inclined to agree. Get rid of the fancy stuff and go back to OEM mounts.

You should have more than enough sound containment on the exhaust, with mufflers and resonators. It has to be the mounts, if your positive there are no exhaust leaks.

I'm like you and hate loud exhausts that drone at highway speeds. The loudest thing usually on the 22re is the injector tick...

Are these mounts just the 'rubber' parts?
-Or are we talking full on metal skid-style mounts.

If possible see if you can source softer rubber parts for the mounting?

The vibrations could be turning your cab into a speaker.

This is exactly what it sounds like.

The motor and transmission mounts are custom built to use polyurethane spring bushings:

543702d1282664334-toyota-engine-mounts-bolt-weld-sets-passsideenginemountm.jpg

336645d1195195838-toyota-super-duty-transfer-case-mounts-transmount1.jpg

I reached out to 4x innovations about the mounts- and he claims my problems were caused by the LC Engineering mounts I used to run. I swapped to these mounts and the problem didn't get any better. My next step is to try and run the 4xInnovations motor mounts with a stock transmission mount. If that doesn't help, I could always try and find rubber bushings to replace the poly ones in the motor mounts.

I'm inclined to agree. Get rid of the fancy stuff and go back to OEM mounts.

I wish I could. I swapped to these mounts because I got tired of swapping out motor and transmission mounts in the middle of nowhere. At the end of the day, I'm too hard on the truck (plus it has a 228:1 crawl ratio), to keep stock mounts alive.

I modded my stock mounts with a grade 8, 1/2" diameter bolt. I had to bore out the motor mounts also. There is a good write on marlins page/forum. Really you only need a stout driverside mount for dual cases, though I got ambitious and did both. Another option is to use stock mounts with a limiting chain, there's a write up on pirate and 4crawler.

I run 2 stock t-case mounts on my cases, front one has a solid spacer in-between the top and bottom brackets. I haven't broken one yet but the through bolt on the mounts do vibrate loose so is one of my maintenance checks. I get more vibes than stock but not terrible. I haven't tried the 4X mounts to compare.

How are you body mounts/bushings??

I get about 90 decibels at 65-70 mph with windows and back open, 4runner, in traffic. Don't know how accurate the Iphone app is though.

I have almost the exact same rig.. 85 Runner.. duals, 35s, stock exhaust, no cat, just a cheap muffler. There have been a few things I've noticed in the couple years of making changes while DDing it:

1. Carpet w/ an insulator definitely helped noise.. also helped keep the temps down in the cab
2. I've ran TG motor mounts, and switched back to stock.. definitely less vibes and noise. Right now I run stock engine mounts, and two stock t case mounts.
3. There is a resonant frequency/RPM that my exhaust will just ring away in the cab. It is more noticeable at lower speeds, but still could be an issue if I sat at that RPM on the freeway.

One thing I have always wondered is how to block the noise from the engine.. 22re at the 2-3K RPM range is louder than I wish..

I'll have to check if there is an android app that can accurately measure the DB levels

I've been eyeing a vinyl mat to replace my awful shag carpet that I've removed pieces to track leaks. What are you guys using for insulation? I was thinking HNR (Heat Noise Resistant)paint. Thought that'd be easy to clean pull mat and hose out.

image.jpg
I did some testing and found that the truck is 74db at idle, 85db around town, and 96db on the highway. This is measured from inside the cab.

I'm going to try swapping back to a stock tc mount, but I'm starting to suspect that 2.25 is too large for this truck.

I'm running 2.25" off a header and no cat with a flowmaster DBX muffler. I'm 60db at idle. I just looked back through your exhaust specs. Maybe it's time to make some changes. Something is just not working at 95db OSHA would have you wear ear pro.

55 idle 65 idle with windows down, 70 in town w/ windows up 77 with windows down, 80 windows down on highway 75 windows up on highway. This is an all stock truck with no cat. So my guess is it has to do with some bushings. Because mine are all worn out and I'm still way below you.

Stock exhaust is not loud at all. Exhaust noise shouldn't be a factor, compared to the engine noise. Not bad, IMO, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom