My new project 1986 4runner sr5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I just read the whole thing. Sorry for the frustrating parts. We just picked up an '87 4R so I'm now reading up seeing what I'm in for. Pretty much same boat as you so watching your build. Keep up the strong work!

-Daniel Kent

Changing Lives Through Coffee!

Sure. Just took a 1x2. Cut it to length. Then placed on the top and cut the curve on the ends so it would follow the top. Once I did that I placed the cut piece on the top and traced the hole and drilled two of them. The I took the vinyl and staple gun and wrap the board the the other end just wrapped the vinyl straight around the 1x2. Made a lil slit into the vinyl and took the ratchet strap hooked them too the 1x2 then put bolt thru the front and hooked the back and tightened just make sure u wrap the vinyl a couple of times.

Total project cost me about $10 better Than 200 they want for the real ones.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407420500.281519.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407420522.381083.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407420535.080890.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407420547.930804.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407420560.597600.jpg

Here the pic to the top nothing flashy just functional

So what are your plans as far as the engine goes? I seem to remember the 3.4 may have some fitment issues with the hood. The 22re, while not a speed demon is a great engine and can be made to make more power. My rebuilt 22re gives me 19mpg around town and 20-22 on the highway. I can easily hit 70mph and will cruise at 60mph all day.

My rebuild consisted of a new head with larger valves and ports, RV cam, full LC engineering exhaust, header back, as well as an LC engineering intake.....machine work, gaskets as well.

I'm not a huge fan of engine swaps, putting an engine in a vehicle that was never installed as a factory option can present certain challenges, mainly wiring and perhaps mounts. Also when mating a more powerful engine to a transmission that may not have been used could also present issues, not the least being one that cants handle the power/torque upgrade.

Good luck!
Corey

Well the wiring part us taken care of by off road solution a reputable co they also supply all the mounts and pretty much everything else for the swap. Also u use the 3.0 transmission and it's a direct bolt in to the frame with the 3.0 support bracket so minor fab work lil wiring and their u go.

As far as the 22re it's a great engine but no one makes wiring harness and finding one that looks decent it near impossible. I've been looking and that's my main issue is my harness. I've pieces it. Back together too many times. Otherwise probably would keep my 22re

So got a few things done today. Tore the 94 block down and I'm thinking it has never been rebuilt but not sure. The bore measure 91.8 or 9 mm. But I have a cheap set of calipers. And I will put some pic of the crank and the wear.

First rebuild so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. But everything seem to measure stock. Just hope that the crank can be ground down to get back to smooth. All the bearing were starting to wear but I guess that to be expected in an engine that has 191k on it.

The block was reprinted a blue color so I assumed it had been rebuild but still not sure the piston all r aisin piston so who know.

The bore looks all smooth but I don't have the tools to measure to see if their is any misshaping to it.
Figured I would rebuild it and add all my 86 stuff back to it.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416860140.266613.jpg

Most of the bearing look kinda like this maybe not as bad

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416860074.233725.jpg

Measure just under 92 mm

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416860158.450410.jpg

Rod journal measure 2.08 or so

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416860177.649331.jpg

All the bore look clean no scatches

All the parts to be cleaned and reprinted

And finally the poor runner to be revived

This cam bear was toast. Wasn't much left in the journal so hoping it can be fixed

So a long journey ahead but go I take my time and do it right.
Any info

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416860027.968120.jpg

Does anyone know what sensor / connector I can just cut off the 94 harness and soldier to my current harness and they will work???? I have the bulk of the harness from the engine but PO need the ecu connect part to put a 350 in his rig otherwise I would just repin it an go on

Factory bore on a 22re is 91.9mm.

So got a few things done today. Tore the 94 block down and I'm thinking it has never been rebuilt but not sure. The bore measure 91.8 or 9 mm. But I have a cheap set of calipers.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're not basing rebuild/rebore decisions on a pair of plastic hardware store calipers. You really need to check the entire bore with a good bore gauge, checking for taper and roundness. Same with the crank journals. I would take them to a decent machine shop, also have the deck checked for flatness.

That crank looks bad but can be salvaged.

No I was just measuring the bore a hoping that the caliper r right and I got luck and bought a whole engine wiring harness intake and all 4 $100. The guy who pulled the engine wanted nothing to do with it and was putting a 350 in his 94 yota. I talked him down dt the block was reprinted saying it probably had been rebuilt and might be nothing more than scrap.

As far as the block goes I have a shop that will machine it for me with a cnc machine deck and grind the cam.

The pic and stuff r finding that I found pointing toward a stock block. I mean the caliper r cheap but I didn't want to buy any other tools at this point plus most of that the machine shop will tell me anyways

Well I have done it again. Just pulled the blown engine from the 4runner. Luck may have it. The engine I bought for $150 buck is completely stock and getting bored 20 over crank is being ground and line bored due to a spun bearing. Hope to get my hands on it tomorrow. But some progress on pullin the engine. So I got to start somewhere. I did find a wiring harness from an 1987 4runner hope that works out as well. I also bought a new head from engine builder with 261 cam and full rebuild kit ,oil pump and water pump. So hopefully I will get it all back together in next few weeks. I may also paint the engine bay if I can get the time. Looks kinda bad compared to the rest of the runner. So that's bout it. Any suggestion would be great
Thanks in advance

ATTACH=full]1037673[/ATTACH]
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424993624.492260.jpg
W
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424993458.477034.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424993664.127307.jpg
    ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424993664.127307.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 89
Well started cleaning the engine bay. It was pretty nasty to say the least. Got most of it do before the fam got home
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425319841.138129.jpg

You can see the difference in the hood.
Also got the block back nice and pretty started paint it and getting ready for assembly
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425319917.470822.jpg

So I'm on my way. Also ordered new headers from LCE and the head light conversion kit. So I will let u know how those go. Slowly but surely on my way.

Flip that engine over! It's upside down! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom