Rear bench w/ a rear oem gas tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would this work? Thinking of buying a late model 40 with oem under tub gas tank. Could I bolt in an aftermarket rear bench?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking...

Pictures and a better explanation are always helpful...

But, if you simply want to mount a bench seat in the back over an existent oem under-tub-gas tank...

I don't see why that couldn't be done. Not having seen the oem under-tub-gas tank setup, I'm not sure what that would entail.

But, it seems like you could always fab brackets or mounts or something and even bolt it to the wheel wells, if something prevents you bolting it to the floor.

Post some pictures of what you are asking to mount and of where you want to mount it.

hth

Thanks Danny and Alex.

@SouthBostonFJ40 Alex, have you done that before? Guess you have to drop the fuel tank and then you can bolt in the bench to the tub.

Thanks Danny and Alex.

@SouthBostonFJ40 Alex, have you done that before? Guess you have to drop the fuel tank and then you can bolt in the bench to the tub.

I actually haven't, nor have I ever seen a 79+ fuel tank in person. I will be mounting an aux fuel tank soon and I have a rear bench. I assume your concern is drilling the holes for the bench seat. Just be careful and try to loosen the straps a little and drop it down a bit. Try using a very small bit and then open up the holes with a stepped bit that won't quickly pull itself through the metal and is easier to control.

The fuel tank on mine (1980 FJ40) mounts under the driver & passenger seats. The fuel sending unit is about where the rear heater sits. I would think the rear bench seat would mount a good ways toward the back from there. Can't imagine how you could hit the tank mounting a rear seat.

Great! Thanks guys. I thought the tank was a good bit further back.

If you find the tank is under where you will be drilling and you need to get nuts under there., rather than drop the tank, you may be able to use those nutserts - not sure the minimum thickness metal you can attach the too..

If you find the tank is under where you will be drilling and you need to get nuts under there., rather than drop the tank, you may be able to use those nutserts - not sure the minimum thickness metal you can attach the too..

He shouldn't have any issue with the tank but stock it will have a huge muffler with a heat shield above it. Before I would trust inserts nuts to hold a seat I would weld a plate on the underside with a nut welded to the plate. I would be afraid in a accident it would break free. Years ago when I had a early Bronco seat in the back I only had large fender washers and never had a problem but the nuts were easy to get to. The seat belts were bolted to a piece of angle iron the was bolted to the frame rails.

Rear bench seats have been done before. I have a fold and tumble seat in my 71. I think it was out of a Dodge Raider. There are several of the real small import 4X4 rigs that would have rear seats that would be possibilities. Just start haunting the pick-n-pulls until you find one you like.

Don

Rear bench seats have been done before. I have a fold and tumble seat in my 71. I think it was out of a Dodge Raider. There are several of the real small import 4X4 rigs that would have rear seats that would be possibilities. Just start haunting the pick-n-pulls until you find one you like.

Don

I have a seat from a Montero that is the same as the Dodge Raider. But the 71 has fuel tank under the passenger seat not the tub plus teh exhaust has a much smaller muffler that stays on the left side. 75 is when exhaust changed with the large muffler in the back.

Thanks guys. Yes I have a bench now in my 76. I was under the wrong belief that the tank was in the rear on later models but @gcrump01 set me straight. @Living in the Past is spot on in his recomendations as well about brackets and fender washers. I also use grade 8 hardware with seats. This isn't a place to be cheap.

Check out third row seats from a Mitsubishi Pajero... Forward facing seats that fold flat and then to the side under the stock roll bar. I'll post some pics when I get my "Easy Button" fixed... :D

I've read it can be done, but it'll take some reworking of the Hinges to fit the square 40 inner fenders.

I have the Bestop Fold and tumble in my 40 with a Conferr aux tank. The seat went in with no interference BUT the seatbelt latch hold-down bracket did interfere. I dropped the tank to drill the holes and had to put the bolts in from underneath with the threads up.
S6301335.JPG

Check out third row seats from a Mitsubishi Pajero... Forward facing seats that fold flat and then to the side under the stock roll bar. I'll post some pics when I get my "Easy Button" fixed... :D

I've read it can be done, but it'll take some reworking of the Hinges to fit the square 40 inner fenders.

I'm looking forward to the pics. My only dislike for the fold and tumble seat I have is the bracket left on the floor. It would be nice to have a clear, flat floor with no seat lock down brackets.

Don

I'm looking forward to the pics. My only dislike for the fold and tumble seat I have is the bracket left on the floor. It would be nice to have a clear, flat floor with no seat lock down brackets.

Don

You'll have to find a seat with integrated seat belts. Otherwise the belts will need to mount to the floor with a bracket of sorts. I have seen pics before of the Geo Tracker rear seats in a 40 which are split F&T seats. I think those had integrated belts as well. It is true that the F&T seat latch is a little intrusive but I rarely tumble the seat forward to carry stuff so it's not a big deal to me. I did purposefully get belts that were webbed on the latch side (as opposed to being on a stiff cable) so that they wouldn't be sticking up in the way if I needed cargo space.

It's been a while since I've been able to drive my 40 and my memory is a bit faded, but I think the fold and tumble seat I have does have integrated belts. I'm just interested in seeing what bikersmurf has. If the pic I have in my mind is correct his seats would leave a totally clear and flat floor when tumbled and folded aside.

Don

I've got a pic of them in my build thread but... Here's a teaser...
image.jpg

They've got a fold down 'leg' in the middle, brackets that mount to the top of the fender, and adjustable recline. :D

$50 well spent. FYI, don't hold your breath... You'll pass out long before they're in the truck. They're like 80 series rearmost seats... Only small enough to fit under the roll bar on both fenders, leaving the center clear as with jump seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom