My wife drove all the way to work with the CDL engaged...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I feel your pain. I just don't let my wife drive 99% of the time :). Instead of yelling in the future, just show her the repair bill and ask her what you guys are going to cut back on to compensate for that un essay expense? I bet she will be more attentive in the future.
As the happy survivor of 35+ years of marriage I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE this approach, it WILL come around and bite you in the ass eventually.

So....were you the one who left the CDL engaged before your wife drove it?

As the happy survivor of 35+ years of marriage I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE this approach, it WILL come around and bite you in the ass eventually.

Agreed, just wait until you break something and you'll never hear the end of it. Lucky for me, my wife has never broken or wrecked anything that's been her fault ;)

As well as immediately.

And you'll hear about it again, years from now, when you least expect it.

Steve

Are we talking more about our wives or damage from a CDL on while on pavement?

As stated earlier... happy wife, happy life!

2004 Land cruiser... I have a 2003 and it actually says in the owners manual that the CDL can be engaged anytime and will NOT engage when the transfer case is in Low range unless the button is pushed. I think in previous years (98-01) the CDL would automatically lock in Low range. I have driven mine around on dry pavement in High range with the CDL without binding or tires squealing. I did it just for test purposes and would not suggest doing it all the time.

UPDATE:

Well I noticed a leak underneath the vehicle today. I took it back to Toyota and they said both CV axles were blown and there was diff fluid leaking. Apparently they didn't catch it on the day of the incident because the damaged cv axles may have not have been noticeable at the time. I guess it took 3 weeks of driving to find out damage had been done. And there goes $800

been through similar things...it doesnt mean we dont love our wives if we get upset when they dont pay attention to dash lights...there's a reason car makers put emergency lights on the dash...right in front of our face.

I try to take my wife out in our lcs and put her through the paces on offroading and the differences between driving on and off pavement...it helps and she actually enjoys offroading now!

pay the bill...emphasize the importance of vehicle care...because if youre in an emergency and your car is broke...you may end up dead...then move on and love her...you'll laugh about it some day...in the very distant future...trust me.

How does driving with the center diff locked kill the CV's? Not saying they aren't leaking, but not seeing the relation. You still had a functioning front diff, no?

Front diff fluid leaking? From where? You might want a second opinion from a different dealer, IMHO...

800! I hope you got the spares so you can reboot them yourself.

Yeah. Busted cvs and leaking diff have no logical connection to driving with the center diff locked. Enough with the wife bashing already.

I mean hey at least you got new CV's so you don't have to worry about them wearing out anytime soon! I believe it's my A/C condenser that leaks under my truck. It drips down onto my sway bar links and bushing and on any ground below it if it sits overnight. That could've been what the cause of your puddle was. I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion if the purchases have not already been paid....

It's definitely not my A/C condensor that leaks. We haven't ran the A/C in a week due to weather. I notice the leak on the center of center skid plate and it seemed to be all over it. I initially thought they may have stripped a bolt when they did my oil, transmission, and diff fluid changes. It definitely felt like an oil substance.

I had no idea that CV boots have nothing to do with the CDL. Could it be that since the vehicle had 32,000 miles, normal driving tore the axle boots because it was seldom used?

Oh I forgot to mention the Toyota techs say that the front diff leak was coming from the ends of the CV's?

Dunno...sounds to me like she owes you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom