93 fjz80 headliner replacement options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtoutdooradventures.com
looking for options to replace the headliner on the 93 fjz80. i do not need oem, it does not need to be super pretty. i want something easy (easier than the stock headliner removal) have considered lizard skin but was hoping to find something to cover that make the ceiling have less edges to it.

Why not source a later model that is fiber board and recover.. I followed this thread and did mine in Marine Vinyl

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/suede-headliner-pimpin-fzj80-style.233854/

p1010860-jpg.533341

p1010865-jpg.533343

p1010912-jpg.535414

i may do this but i was hoping to leave it more open after applying sound / insulation barriers. that way maybe install / allow for some inside racks. i tear things apart to follow my crazy ideas which i often back out of and i would rather not constantly be removing the headliner like i do the other interior panels, forever, always, all the time. i dont see why i need a headliner except to soften up the ceiling so you dont catch things on the edges / contours

Why not source a later model that is fiber board and recover..

Putting an late headliner in an early rig is easier said than done!

Please explain... Did the roof shape change from 93 to 96?

The roof shape is the same that is about it. The cross members are different (dome light mounting, liner mount pins, etc), the pillars differ, don't have the adjustable belts, dash differs (taller), the trim molding around the doors differs, etc, so nothing aligns, fits properly. It has been done, but is a bunch of work and never looks 100%.

im up in the air the best way to move forward. talked to a guy today about a snap in so that it could easily be removed.

thinking about getting him to make some custom back panels too, to utilize the space where the jack and speaker are.

and on a side note thinking about spectrum sludge + jute on the floors. i keep saying im going to take pics and write it up but i can only barely do 100 different things at once.

Why not source a later model that is fiber board and recover.. I followed this thread and did mine in Marine Vinyl

Suede Headliner! - pimpin' FZJ80 style - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/suede-headliner-pimpin-fzj80-style.233854/

p1010860-jpg.533341

p1010865-jpg.533343

p1010912-jpg.535414
I did the same and covered mine in light grey marine vinyl using the 3M headliner adhesive. It looked great for 6 months but now it delaminating in some places and I now need to re-glue it. I've ordered some Permatex 27828 Heavy Duty Headliner Adhesive to try but I'm not looking forward to redoing this job. I've contemplated adding a few rows of stitching which would certainly hold it forever but is a really big job that needs a perfect layout and lots of time. Is your headliner still adhering and what glue did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom