Riders down in Charlotte, NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
I don't frequent this section (my bike kicked my fat ass off a few years ago) but I wanted to vent for a minute. Two of my friends were whacked by a car yesterday morning while riding in a 35mph zone in a sparsely populated rural area by a car turning into their path - 17 year old kid driving. They're both in the hospital. One was airlifted and is still in a coma with a brain bleed and broken clavicle and shoulder blade. The other was moved out of ICU this afternoon with what might only be a severe concussion (his helmet was shattered all over but CRUSHED on the left side). They think he probably slid over the windshield while the first one went straight into the side of the car. I haven't seen the bikes yet.

The kid was charged with Failure To Yield.

Stay safe out there, y'all. I long ago decided I was done with riding on the streets here and always preferred to take my chances in the dirt.

Story here: http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local...r-2-cyclists-hit-waxahaw/nhnfS/?__federated=1

They sent Tom home today. He's still mentally slow but can get around with help. More thorough doc appts coming soon.

Jeff is still in a coma but opened one eye this afternoon. Tubes everywhere.

A couple of people saw the incident and were quite helpful until, and when, the police and medics arrived.

...via IH8MUD app

Yikes, healing juju to your friends. Know about this kind of stuff all to well. My brother just went through something similar, was riding his road bike on a normal afternoon ride, in traffic like he normally does (and has for years). At a stoplight and traffic starts to move, he is 4th position back from the light. As he goes through the turn he hears an emergency vehicle (hospital in the area so again he is well aware) and turns to see where it is. As he turns his head back he finds that traffic has come to a dead stop and plows through the jeep in front of him's rear windshield. Broken clavicle and shredded knee later he is out $400 for a ticket from the officer for "wrecklessly/inappropriately piloting a bicycle in traffic".

Be safe out there everyone, always assume that there is someone around you and that they DONT see you. Had too many close calls myself but I still ride road when I can (mainly for work).

I'm sorry to hear this. I pray they will fully recover. Big uphill battle for them. I have thought long and hard about commuting to work but this type of thing happens far too often so I stick with the dirt and will take my chances dodging the trees. Again, your friends are in our prayers.

John,

Scrolled back and found this. Man that's unfortunate. I still ride on the road- but normally it's only very early in the morning. Odd as it was, I rode my motorcycles without a helmet, but ALWAYS ride my road bike and Mtbike with my helmet.

Hope that they recovered well.

5 Month Update:

Tom was only in the hospital for 3 days with a severe concussion, brain swelling and a slight brain bleed. Physical therapy went well, and he walked a lot to get around. He was not allowed to work until last week. He also regained his full driving privileges last week after taking the tests the DMV requires for that. He thinks he's still not 100% in any fashion and gets overwhelmed pretty easily. He's a drummer and still can't play due to bad coordination between his four appendages and his slower than normal mental response time. They expect he'll eventually be 100% again. He works as a drum tech for 2 of the biggest bands out there right now and isn't able to work for either until their next tours due to them both needing long term commitments for international travel. He's not happy. He doesn't sleep well and is depressed.

Jeff was in the hospital for approximately 2 months. He was unconscious for over 2 weeks, then they put him under again to allow for healing. He got a trach at some point. He somehow managed to not break any bones but did a lot of muscular damage to his 58 year old body. He's going through a succession of splints, braces and various apparatuses with plenty of physical therapy and rehab. He needs 24 hour attention/babysitting but walks, talks, takes care of his personal needs. He was at an estimated 20% of normal 2 weeks ago. He is able to use a phone and some things on a computer. Very forgetful and stubborn. Very depressed. Becoming very withdrawn. There is no timeframe for recovery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom