Need some advise on 1F to 2F swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 1973 FJ40 and trailered it home. The previous owner took it on a trade and didnt seem to know too much about it. The interior and body is in great shape but the drivetrain needs help. The old 1F is shot, frothy oil and all. I have a deposit on what sounds to be a healthy 2F drivetrain from a 1975 FJ45 from the good guys at 4 wheel auto in Edmonton. They are able to do the swap but its not really in my budget to do so.

I am not sure of all the issues that I may run into. I think I could get the driveshafts with the new drivetrain so thats not an issue. My concern is more with the fit and compatibility. I know the 4 speed is longer than the 3 speed so do I need to relocate mounts? Is the electrical an issue? Tranny hump won't be an issue for me as I have one. What am I in for?

I will post some pics.

Before anyone comments I know the BEZEL is upsidedown! And yes I will be changing out the lights.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

Mirrors could go too!

Thanks Whitney45. Will the parking brake cable reach? And is the clutch set up the same?

I'd get both shafts, as they're both different. The E-brake is a tight fit to the frame cross member, but it'll clear. Mounts are fine. You can use either clutch with corresponding parts.

Lights look correct other than the front marker lights.

Best of luck... And welcome.

Thanks Bikersmurf. Are there ant parts off the 1F worth keeping? Not sure if there is a market for 1F parts or if ther are compatible with the 2F. I have always been more of a sb chev guy.

pic3.JPG

The back lights are wrong too including the marker lights.

The frothy oil... Did you see this in the valve cover? Or was it in the pan?

If valve cover it could be just condensation ... It's common in my area (upper north east) for a cruiser to do this...

You may very well have a shot engine... Just throwing that out there so you don't have to throw out good money

The frothy oil was out of the pan on the dipstick. I will keep the manifolds. What about the fuel pump, alternator, starter, etc?

pic4.JPG

Fuel pump, alternator, starter, water pump, carb, manifolds, thermostat housing, water sender, oil pressure sender... It's good to have spares/parts to sell/trade.

I put a 77 2F rebuilt in my 73 when my 1F blew up, I kept everything accessorie wise from the 1F and used it on the 2F. The only thing I did different was used a clutch fan & 7 blade plastic fan instead of the four blade metal fan. I did have to extend the oil sensor wire since the sensor is on the passenger side. I kept the 73 3 spd & xfer case & drive shafts. While I was at it I swapped over a diaphragm clutch instead of the 3 finger clutch and everything worked out great almost 2,000 miles on it.

Bikersmurf: Need anything? haha. I wish there was a canadian section on mud for parts, vendors, etc due to our shipping woes.

Nelson: Sounds like a good upgrade. Good to know about the oil sensor wire, thats an easy one.

I spent some time on looking at the new purchase today and of course the more I look the more I find. Typical of a cruiser I guess. Its things like there are the loops for a factory soft top on the drivers side fender, back doors, but not on the passenger side. Huge gap around front doors due to wrong type door seals. If anyone has a good inexpensive solution please feel free to chime in. The windshield gasket has about a 3/16" gap where there is a nice gap. I'm thinking about filling with rtv black? Not sure what is commonly used. The list keeps growing. I changed out the metal running boards for aluminum. I also put some window weather stripping from some old doors I had laying around into the doors as there was some astroturf glued in there instead. Not new but better that it was.

I thought I made a good purchase.

keep the 1F aircleaner, carburetor and intake - the 1F carb works great with a desmogged 2F

Good to know. I love the fact that people are so helpful here. Ask and you shall receive. Thanks DSRTRDR

keep the 1F aircleaner, carburetor and intake - the 1F carb works great with a desmogged 2F
I swear that @JimC told me that the 2F needed a larger carb than the F engine has.

well, I hit 85mph yesterday, and was able to hold 60 steady on long inclines - how much bigger should the carb be before this thing lifts off ? :lol:

Regardless the carb will make a good back up for future needs. Its always good to have extra parts for anyone that needs them. I am also looking into power steering for it. I was thinking that the mini truck would be the easiest for this one but not sure where to find a steering box. Shipping can be crazy out of the states so I will try to find as much local as I can. If anyone can help with sourcing out the parts it would be appreciated.

I think the difference in the carbs would depend on the health of the motor. Sounds like DSRTRDR has a good healthy motor and build for that matter. It was in the spa for a long time. ;)

but neither motor nor carb were worked on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom