Our '87 4R SR5 Honduras Coffee/Missions Rig Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any luck mounting the Tuffy console? I would love to see how it looks mounted. Recently had my stereo stolen from my '87 and would like to have it more secure in a Tuffy if possible. Not sure how I would deal with the stock moulding and window/wiper switches though.

It's pretty flush & level just sitting on the floor. Think I'm gonna modify the mount that it comes with to level it off just a bit more. I'm slammed with work right now so I'm limited on time. I'm moving my switches to the dash I think.

-Daniel Kent

Not sure how I would deal with the stock moulding and window/wiper switches though.
Move the switches to the two empty slots above the radio. I went to the u-pull and salvaged another switch, along with a long piece of wire that runs from the switch connectors, under the seat, to the side. A little solder, shrink tube, and some cold-shrink tape, and it was a done deal.

IMGP0019.JPG

^^^ Love all the power plugs! Great idea sir.

-Daniel Kent

Ya, but what's the RJ-11 for?

Ya, but what's the RJ-11 for?

Originally I had the ham behind the seat. I routed the mic from behind the seat to the dash. Now that the head has been mounted to the console, I'm not using it.

To test out fit & finish I put on a 33x12.5x15 I had. It fit good, so I know a 31x10.5x15 will do great!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410884316.602504.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410884332.343155.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410884347.784420.jpg

-Daniel Kent

Last edited:
Dropped off my rims at the sand blaster to get stripped. I've decided to spray paint them. Going with the vintage grey.
-Daniel Kent

Pulled the trigger on our soft top. Went with KTT, Killer Toy Tops. We will be getting their first new top with internal cage capable of supporting a roof rack. Pretty excited! I'll write up a review when it gets here in about 6 weeks. We also went with grey for the canvas color. I'll also be removing the internal roll bar once it's installed.

Here's KTT's sample top:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410987690.602106.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410987699.000264.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410987708.950812.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410987728.335689.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410987769.250775.jpg

-Daniel Kent

Last edited:
When you remove the stripes, youre going to be left with some high and low spots. Plan on spending some extra time block sanding those areas, to keep the panels from being wavy after paint. A couple extra coats of high build filler primer will make that easier too. Good paint is 95% prep work.

If you plan on putting new striping on it, there are a couple sources for oem appearing stripe kits. I dont have the links handy, but you can look at t4r.org for the guy that does great work.

Also, since youre really good at spending money on the 4r, might as well look at a new radiator while youre at it. I went with a CSF 2314 3 row brass, all metal radiator. Should supply ample cooling down there.

Good to know, thanks. As for the radiator I don't believe anything is wrong with it, so gonna wait on upgrading it. ;) If I find the OEM one is bad, I found the radiator you were talking about on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CFRKS8/?tag=ihco-20 :)

-Daniel Kent

Anyone have a lead on a rear driver side seat and hardware? Mine is missing. :(

-Daniel Kent

Received my "new" sunroof glass and other goodies from KLF, thanks for the deal bud.

Also bought my 31x10.50x15 KM2's today! Picking up the rims tomorrow freshly blasted and will paint and mount hopefully this week!

I'm also having Toyota help me determine the extent of my engine problems before I go any further with that.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411427796.415227.jpg

-Daniel Kent

This guy makes awesome stripe kits, if'n you want to put it back to original.

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/toyota.htm

I bought the stripe to do my tailgate, haven't put it on yet, but it's good stuff. Faithful, authentic reproduction of the OEM stripe, complete with the fade, even includes the V6 sticker.

^^^ Thanks for the link bud. I haven't fully decided yet, but great prices if I go back.

-Daniel Kent

I picked up my blasted rims today, but I'm so short on time so I'm not sure when I can paint them. :(:(:(

-Daniel Kent
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411517979.729215.jpg

Putting a couple of coats of primer on the rims to keep them from rusting.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412120249.556504.jpg

-Daniel Kent

Well I bought a another '87 4Runner! This will be the new Pepe and I'll sell the old one once I've got whatever I want off of it. I don't pick it up for about 2 weeks. Bought it from a guy who a year ago bought it from the original owner an 80+ year old man. Has an original 138,000 miles and a completely rebuilt transmission that cost the PO $2,700! The 22RE runs AWESOME and the interior is in great shape. I'm told the top has never been removed either.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412273272.535345.jpg

-Daniel Kent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom