$600 to blast, prime and paint fenders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does that sound right to y'all? I've seen the guy's work and he is good, but dang. That is a lot of coin. Oh, and I supplied the paint! (but not the primer)

Fenders are used of course and needs one small tear welded up. But they aren't too rusted or bent up, didn't see any bondo. I'll try to find some pics to post up.

IMG_20140505_181711_440.jpg
IMG_20140505_181728_326.jpg
IMG_20140505_181748_033.jpg
IMG_20140505_181756_445.jpg

IMG_20140505_181812_446.jpg
IMG_20140505_181838_624.jpg
IMG_20140505_181852_471.jpg

IMG_20140505_181912_827.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. First time getting work like this done. I called the guy and he had already started on them (or claimed to), but he knocked $100 bucks off. Live and learn. He is turning them around by Friday and I've been sitting on them for months and anxious to get them on the 40.

I've have some good condition cut fenders coming up for sale soon if anyone wants a cut set.

my guess is after you blast them they will need more work than you would think. They always do and that takes time$$$.

That being said - I had my entire truck (piece by piece) sprayed for $600. I did all the prep work though.

If you are going to spend that much, find a new set. They will already have primer and will just need painted. What you save on labor and time will be worth it. If you are doing the work yourself those fenders are plenty salvageable.

Those need more than just blasting and priming. If this guy is as good as you say, I'll be he's going to do some straightening, dent repair, welding, and make them look like new. Might have been cheaper to buy new ones, but whatever.

Well, the saga continues. Media blasting uncovered a previous fiberglass repair. He wants an additional $200 to cut it out and weld in new metal (called it a 4 hour job). From the pics below, he has just blasted it and hasn't primed them or started any prep work. I'm thinking of stopping him at this point and getting other quotes.

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

I had my fenders blasted, looked much like yours when they started and it uncoverd lots of other issues. I was quoted $500 a piece to get mine completey done not counting finish paint. I am not an OEM guy so I opted to buy replacements from CCOT and have been very happy. This is very time consuming work so I am not surprised at the cost. http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/fronfenfj19t.html Good luck.

I could see the repairs from the pictures you gave...

Highsight, I would have bought new fenders and called it a day on mine. In fact, I am still probably going to buy a new Passenger fender and Paint it and put it on my truck since it is not perfect. You can get a new fender for a reasonable cost from toyota for one of the sides. The other side is available only through the aftermarket like CCOT.

You're probably right, but I have seen the aftermarket versions up close and personal and was not impressed, so I wanted to get a set of OEMs. Looked for a while and found a great deal local. So sticking with OEM is going to cost me up front, but I think I'll be happy with them long term. Just got to get over the short term pain. I should have shopped around more before pulling the trigger with this shop. Live and learn.

Both sides of the medal is easily viewable. Not sure why there would be any surprises, I would have expected these and actually look visible in the first pictures. I thought $600 was steep but acceptable but $800 starting to get crazy for jut the fenders in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom