84 Land Cruiser won't stay running without choke... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my land cruiser through some rough off-roading and now it will not idle without the choke at least half way out. I've done the following to try to fix this.

• My radiator was somehow full of mud so I completely flushed the fluid and put new coolant and water in. (see image of the mud under the radiator cap) The reservoir was also full of mud.
  • I had failed to keep up with the oil and noticed it was virtually non-existent on the dip-stick. I changed the oil and filter. Some small metal flakes were found on the inside of the plug. I put 10w-40 oil with a bottle of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer because of the high mileage. The oil pressure runs pretty high between the mid and high mark on the gauge. Is that too high?
  • I put in the gas tank a small bottle of carburetor cleaner.
  • Replaced spark plugs (which looked really bad in my opinion)
  • Replaced the fuel filter

But I still have the same problem. It sounds like the solenoid is fine but I'm no mechanic so I have no clue what I'm looking for or listening for there. Just from what I read in threads here. I included a picture of the carburetor where I found a rubber line broken (have no idea what this is), but I held it on to where it belongs and the car still won't idle without shutting off after a few seconds.

Also, in a picture you see a hose coming from the air filter that in my opinion fits on very loosely (took it off for the picture). Not sure what this is either or if it's lose fit matters.

Any help would be awesome! I love doing this work myself but this if my first time actually working on this car myself and now I'm getting very frustrated trying to solve this.

I also hear some loud gear noise after the off-roading, which goes away when I depress the clutch pedal a couple inches. I feel like this had something do with me letting my oil get so low.

The truck drives fine with the choke out at lights and such.

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6239.JPG

IMG_6240.JPG

Shoot! Wrong forum. How do I move it? Sorry first time using this site.

That's not mud that is rust. You have some serious problems and in dire need of cooling system and engine maintenance.

Y
That's not mud that is rust. You have some serious problems and in dire need of cooling system and engine maintenance.

Someone else told me it was rust but I guarantee it's mud. It showed up only after my off roading and is the same color of the dirt I was going through, that rusty color. After draining all the coolant and cleaning the radiator it's clear and fine again. I think it got in because the reservoir cap came off.

My shot on the non running problem is... your fuel shutoff solenoid isn't getting power... whether the solenoid itself faulty or its the wire broken is for you to figure.... had the exact problem many years ago before I switched to diesel....

And the rust/mud thing.... the water (without antifreeze) in contact with ferris metals in the engine (mainly the engine block itself) causes rust to form and be transported in the coolant water stream... it is very fine grained so looks like dirt/mud... but in reality is rust.... it will/has already clogged some tubes in your radiator (that's what it does best)

Last edited:
My shot on the non running problem is... your fuel shutoff solenoid isn't getting power... whether the solenoid itself faulty or its the wire broken is for you to figure.... had the exact problem many years ago before I switched to diesel....

And the rust/mud thing.... the water (without antifreeze) in contact with ferris metals in the engine (mainly the engine block itself) causes rust to form and be transported in the coolant water stream... it is very fine grained so looks like dirt/mud... but in reality is rust.... it will/has already clogged some tubes in your radiator (that's what it does best)

Well I drained all of the old coolant and forced water through the radiator with a hose to make sure there were no clogs. And when I detached the bottom radiator hose all the coolant that came out of the block was a very clean green coolant, not muddy/rusty in the least. The only part where dirty water came out was from the radiator itself and tons of it in the reservoir.

I don't know anything about solenoids or wiring so that's a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom