From Rust-Free to Rust Belt (1962 FST Restoration) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody have a source for the early 1bbl carb insulators? SOR doesn't have any. Are some people using shorter studs and just a gasket?

image.jpg

Anybody have a source for the small diameter tie rod ends? It looks like I could use a right-hand thread relay rod end on the drivers side, but I haven't been able to find the funky one on the passenger side without paying $95 at SOR.

I could also really use a few PTO u-joins if anybody has stash hangng around!

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
I've made a bit of slow progress lately. The chassis and mechanical stuff is just about done. I should be starting body work some time this month. The body just needs a little hammer and dolly work and the progress should move fairly quickly once I start. There's no good reason why I shouldn't have this thing mostly done and driving by the end of the summer.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399155976.622669.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399156009.687587.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399156029.020423.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399156041.387073.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399156059.153951.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399156082.020861.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

It's time to scrap the 1962 parts truck. I need to keep the wiring and electrics and quite a few other things until I know exactly what I'll need for this restoration and the next two (one of which is in the background). I just want to make sure I don't slice up a body panel or something that somebody needs for their restoration. Things like high b-pillars and centered rear axles can go missing over the years. I'm not looking to make much on the few parts that are left, I just want them to get into the hands of people that need them. Trades for other early FJ40/FJ25 parts would be best! Let me know if you see anything in the photos you need. I have a lot of other parts left not pictured, too. Who wants dibs on the running boards?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400108917.585849.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400108928.501580.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400108949.334060.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400108965.950880.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400108978.001019.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400108990.334368.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
It's time to scrap the 1962 parts truck. I need to keep the wiring and electrics and quite a few other things until I know exactly what I'll need for this restoration and the next two (one of which is in the background). I just want to make sure I don't slice up a body panel or something that somebody needs for their restoration. Things like high b-pillars and centered rear axles can go missing over the years. I'm not looking to make much on the few parts that are left, I just want them to get into the hands of people that need them. Trades for other early FJ40/FJ25 parts would be best! Let me know if you see anything in the photos you need. I have a lot of other parts left not pictured, too. Who wants dibs on the running boards?

View attachment 896424
View attachment 896426
View attachment 896427
View attachment 896428
View attachment 896430
View attachment 896431

...via IH8MUD app
Looking Good!

There is a ton of stuff on that cruiser worth saving. Most of it will fit into one box. I would strip everything off that dash. Even a choke or throttle knob be of use to someone with a non stock running gear but wouldn't mind having a dummy knob to keep a more stock look. Steering wheel looks better than most. Cut the high B pillars and put them in the box. How is the chrome on the hand brake handle and shifter column? Any rubber plugs from the tool box. If the brake cylinders aren't toast save those. Might save the backing plates and axle shafts. Centered housings don't have much value unless you find someone close. I would check the gear ratios in the diffs. There was a higher gear diff out there in a few of these. If you have a way to cut the dash of easy I'll seen a few people looking for a uncut dash. Depending on how bad the rust is on the tunnel cover someone may what that. It changed 64 or 65 and would be too tall on the passenger's side for a early FJ40. Since it doesn't have a ashtray I'm guessing it doesn't have the bracket in the wheel well for the seat belts. Also would be interested in the steering wheel, higher gear diffs I would also be interested in the seat belt brackets if it has them but I doubt it. Is you want list current? Haven't check in a while. I prefer trading over selling when I can. Another thing is the tool box itself. I believe it may have been you I sold a later version to. Held on to that for years just incase it could be of use to someone going back to stock. They aren't making those anymore and I try to save all I can.

You're absolutely right about there being tons of good stuff left that somebody could use. I'll probably end up keeping this wheel, but may have another available that isn't as nice. I'll have a lot of duplicates of switches and knobs, but I haven't had a chance yet to see which one's I'll need. None of them will be scrapped. I'm going to use the best of the parts I have for the FJ40 and FJ25 restorations and then trade or sell te rest. I'll post those parts as I have a chance to go through them. Both of these 1962's have the seatbelt brackets, so I believe I have a complete set of extras. The tunnel cover doesn't have rust issues as much as it has PO cutting issues. I didn't know about the different gear ratios. I'll have to check that out. I also would prefer tradng this stuff rather than selling it. I'll send you a PM wth my list.

Just finished block sanding the tub and am enjoying a good scotch. The underside and firewall have already been painted. The plan is to wake up early tomorrow, get everything masked off and spray it. I sanded through in a couple of tiny spots, so I'll have to give it a sealer coat with some thinned epoxy before painting. I was hoping to avoid that step, but it happens. I can't wait to get this thing done!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409352617.670747.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409352628.020049.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

The original white. Im using a new (to me) paint system and practiced on a few small parts like the FJ25 seats and the transmission hump I picked up from Jim. They're both the exact same white.

Speaking of which, I don't think that "lily white" is the correct white for these trucks. fjfjfj and I both had a batch of lily white made up and it didn't match either any of these trucks. I had the 25 and the 2 1962 40's and they were all the same color white, which definitely wasn't lily white. Either the formulas that the paint companies have isn't correct, or there was another white formula that hasn't been identified yet. I used the same formula that fjfjfj used, and it's a very close match.

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
Here's the photo of the 25 transmission hump that I got from Jim (thanks again!) Mine was torched along the seam because a PO had to remove it and didn't feel like pulling the huge heater above it. I had to weld up a hole where somebody must have been running a later trans/TC with floor shift TC. I'll start a thread on that truck as soon as I get it on the road. I really only need a set of good wheels and a windshield to get it inspected. I I'm 99% sure that a set of 1930's-1950's 16" Chevy/gmc truck wheels will work perfectly, but they're hard to find, too. I'm also looking for an original Toyota windshield for this thing if anybody has one. tried calling cruiserparts.net and cruiser solutions but neither had an original early windshield. It's nice living right in between both of them, but neither has too many early parts.

I tried taking it around the block tonight when I got home from work, but it wasn't getting any fuel from the (new) pump. It was fine when I last parked it a month ago. I'll start a thread on this truck one of these days. I want to build the LV up first and enjoy the 25 in all it's beat up/patina glory in the meantime. I'd love to get it running for the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering. Having three 25's (Jim and Mike) there would be pretty cool.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409355621.340235.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
Hey is this a 40 or 25 thread? If you're serious on getting the 25 on the road let me know if you need a hand, might inspire me to do something. I've got an early very clean windshield frame for a 40. Was going to use it on the 25, trades?

Ideal outside spray day tomorrow, today too.

What do I look like, a hack? This will be sprayed inside!! No booth, but the few dust nibs that occur will be removed with the obligatory sanding and buffing that any paint job gets.

Jim, I just need the windshield, and not the frame. I could have one cut for cheap, or even buy a new one from Toyota, but I'm just a nerd and want it to be original.

...via IH8MUD app

Ah, another better than original finish. :hillbilly: Misunderstood on the windshield, almost got me to give up rust free parts. Still a nice painting day perfect temp no humidity.

just read through you whole thread again splangy. simply splendid work! your parts wreck just makes me drool; it is so much better than the 61 i am amusing myself with at present! so much of that i could probably use if it was 'next door'.

has anyone ever had the column shift assembly apart; ie the long bit that runs up the steer column and the block above the steer box? these just dont exist in australia. mine is a solid lump from top to bottom. reckon i got all the makings to rebuild my 61 box but i need the column assembly to match otherwise its all a bit pointless. just wondering how much of this would be able to be dismantled/inverted/turned upside down or otherwise messed with to suit rhd? im not even sure how this all comes apart.

interested in the front drive cable and any of the vacuum parts from your wreck; buts its not a real priority just slowly tinkering with this stuff. its all new to me.

anyways, once again splangy well done on your work so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom