Magnaflow Y-Pipe (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For you all that ordered the y-pipe, double check to make sure the output flange on the first cat isn't bent. Mine was and caused all sorts of issues until the shop noticed it. On the plus side it bolted up perfectly to the exhaust manifolds.

For you all that ordered the y-pipe, double check to make sure the output flange on the first cat isn't bent. Mine was and caused all sorts of issues until the shop noticed it. On the plus side it bolted up perfectly to the exhaust manifolds.
A bent flange was likely shipping damage and not a manufacturing defect. The packing materials do not prevent the pipe from moving around. The box could get tossed on end and an unlucky hit could tweak a flange. Still a good idea to inspect for it. Mine looks fine.

Where can I find said coupon? Is this an online coupon code like CC20? (20%off online orders)

Online. Coupon code TRT41, check this link:

http://advanceauto.us/advance-auto-...e33380a48b4&jmt=1_e_&jp=&js=1&jsid=34339&jt=1

Having said that I'm not going with the Bosal.

My OEM exhaust still has some life, so I'm going to run that until it gives up.

My exhaust shop that will be installing the Y-pipe can do a custom exhaust for $250, so I will probably go that route, unless I find a screaming deal on the Borla.

http://advanceauto.us/advance-auto-...e33380a48b4&jmt=1_e_&jp=&js=1&jsid=34339&jt=1

My exhaust shop that will be installing the Y-pipe can do a custom exhaust for $250, so I will probably go that route, unless I find a screaming deal on the Borla.

It's $339 - $40 Coupon is ~

$300 when everyone else is getting for $246 shipped at 4x4 Site???
What am I missing?

Not sure? Rockin4x4 was the best price I found for the Magnaflow Y pipe.

I mentioned advance auto in my first post. They had the best price I'd found for the Bosal cat back pieces.

Using the $40 off coupon twice and free shipping. Here is the info from my first post:

Best price I found on the Bosal was through Advanced Auto using their $40 off coupons. One coupon per exhaust piece. Free shipping.
Front - $117
Rear - $77
-------------
total - $194

Just beware when ordering: The site seems to be a shell company. From what I can tell evething is handled by third party support. Ie: you place order with them, they place order through vendor, vendor places order with MagnaFlow, MagnaFlow fulfills order. Then a totally seperate company handles customer facing support.

They do give you email updates for status changes but not the pertinent (see: tracking) info. I have yet to get an email back on my inquiry as to the tracking info of my order. It is by far the cheapest so I am not surprised as this no overhead is likely the reason for the low cost. Especially since I can just call MagnaFlow for tracking info since they are doing the fulfillment. Just a heads up nonetheless.

Last edited:
VatoZone delivered mine earlier today :)

newmagnaflowypipe1.jpg

newmagnaflowypipe2.jpg

Here's my old Bosal

newmagnaflowypipe3.jpg

It was blowing out seals because the excess tubing had deteriorated :meh:

newmagnaflowypipe4.jpg

newmagnaflowypipe10.jpg

newmagnaflowypipe8.jpg

newmagnaflowypipe9.jpg

I'll probably get some flack for this, but once we were sure everything lined up, we gutted it (yes, a brand new cat lol)

newmagnaflowypipe5.jpg

newmagnaflowypipe6.jpg

I've been running with two gutted cats for a short while now and she has more power than ever without throwing any codes :)

With all the talk of aftermarket cats failing after a few years (just as my Bosal cats did), I figure it's one less thing to worry about :meh:

Gotta love Florida's lack of emissions testing :flipoff2:

Anyhoo, I had a choice of gaskets:

Magnaflow (left), Bosal (center) and OEM (right)

newmagnaflowypipe7.jpg

I figured I'd give the MagnaFlow seals a shot :meh:

So far, so good :smokin:

Gunna re-torque the nuts over the weekend

Man that makes me jealous!!! Mine is on the way but they can't give a straight answer on if it will be here tomorrow or Tuesday morning. Driving around with the busted Y-pipe is getting real old real fast. Lol like driving an LMTV, only way louder.

Does it just use the donut gasket, and not a flange sized gasket? I guess that is why the pipe extends past the flange? Would have been nice to see the pipe and flange machined flat and a full gasket.

Why? The flat surface is more prone to leaking and blowing out gaskets; and was one of my primary complaints and pain points with EMS. The Toyota design is superior, less prone to failure and leaks. Kudos to Magnaflow, this looks like an awesome option for 80's!

I disagree, your pain point with ems was probably that it wasn't flat and the two mating surfaces weren't parallel to each other. In a system that's done right there is more sealing surface with two full flat flanges and gaskets, and over that I would still prefer v-bands.

Installed mine today. I installed both cats.
I'm in Douglas County, Colorado, we have 49 state legal emissions to deal with. I have to have the same number of cats as equipped from the factory. And I hear locally that high flow cats won't pass our rolling road emissions.

I had to double up the Magnaflow gaskets at the rear cat / stock muffler flange to get it to seal. I will go get a stock gasket at my convenience. Stock gasket is a bit thicker.

I used M10x1.25x40mm 8.8 bolts and brass nuts at the cats. 35mm bolts probably would have been sufficient. I cleaned up and reused the M10x1.25 studs and used brass nuts at the manifolds.

I installed an 89437-60030 Cover, Sensor, over the front O2 sensor. I used copper M8x1.25 flange nuts on both sensors.

Here's pics.
IMG_20140829_180457.jpg
IMG_20140829_180444.jpg
IMG_20140829_180508.jpg
IMG_20140829_205716.jpg

Looks great man! I did the same thing with getting the shield for both o2s. Very nice!

I threw a P0420 code today. Pretty sure my rear cat gasket failed. My downstream O2 sensor voltages are bouncing around. I picked up an OEM gasket today, and will test the O2 sensor while I'm down there. I will post up results this weekend.

Got mine on a bit ago and have put about 100 miles on it after I cleared the codes. No light as of yet.

Installed mine today. I installed both cats.
I'm in Douglas County, Colorado, we have 49 state legal emissions to deal with. I have to have the same number of cats as equipped from the factory. And I hear locally that high flow cats won't pass our rolling road emissions.

I had to double up the Magnaflow gaskets at the rear cat / stock muffler flange to get it to seal. I will go get a stock gasket at my convenience. Stock gasket is a bit thicker.

I used M10x1.25x40mm 8.8 bolts and brass nuts at the cats. 35mm bolts probably would have been sufficient. I cleaned up and reused the M10x1.25 studs and used brass nuts at the manifolds.

I installed an 89437-60030 Cover, Sensor, over the front O2 sensor. I used copper M8x1.25 flange nuts on both sensors.

Here's pics.

I threw a P0420 code today. Pretty sure my rear cat gasket failed. My downstream O2 sensor voltages are bouncing around. I picked up an OEM gasket today, and will test the O2 sensor while I'm down there. I will post up results this weekend.

P0420 Turned out to be my old gasket. I replaced it with an OEM and all of my catalyst, EGR, and O2 tests are complete (according to my TORQUE app).

The rear cat flange to muffler flange still has a small gap but the gasket seals it. I plan on a new muffler section here soon, so I will take care of that gap then.

Moral of the story... If you have a stock muffler section and the second Magnaflow cat... Use an OEM gasket.

Got mine installed last week.

I had an appt with an exhaust shop 3 weeks ago. They had my truck all day and returned it without doing any work. Said they
though they would break the manifold studs so didn't try.

Took to to my regular mechanic, he swapped it out for $80 said it came out no problem...

He attached it right to the OEM 2nd cat. I got a pic as there has been some confusion on the orientation of the Magnaflow cat vs. OEM.

This was a much needed replacement on my truck. It is noticably peppier. The exhaust note is a bit louder as well. Also not getting the big blast
of heat when I turn it off and go over to the passenger side to unload my son.

Here's the Magnaflow cat attached to the rear OEM cat.

CAT_zps48469b56.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom