Sous Vide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been awhile, so we are having the salmon with leeks, baby bellas, and asparagus... See post #51 for details.

J

P1040773.JPG

Interesting idea using sous vide to poach the fruit; makes sense given you can keep them from getting mushy yet full of the poaching liquid flavor. Although its been a year or three since I've poached pears I'll be sous vide'n the next batch I make!

Interesting idea using sous vide to poach the fruit; makes sense given you can keep them from getting mushy yet full of the poaching liquid flavor. Although its been a year or three since I've poached pears I'll be sous vide'n the next batch I make!

D, I read an article on this the other day and.... :idea: ... I can do this.... We will see what it is like. Hopefully tasty. I know the ice cream is good... I sampled it earlier...:lol:

J

Looks great! What temp did you sous vide the pear?

Nearly everyone here knows I have a pork belly fetish :D. Family stayed with us over the holidays and since they too are porcine lovers I thought it would be fun to hit their plates with some pork belly confit; flat out my favorite method of preparing pork belly...all things bacon included :)

The brining of the raw belly is the easy part. But given real pig lard is impossible to find around here and cost prohibitive when I do find it, relative to the ~gallon needed to confit even 1/2 a belly, I went searching for alternate means of preperation.

I've previously tried confitting pork belly in olive oil and although its a little less expensive than real lard and a little easier to work with it still left me in search of a simpler method; but one that would not sacrifice texture and flavor of the final product.

Enter sous vide! I found this guy that already embarked down this path and was kind enough to share his results: http://darindines.com/2012/03/28/sous-vide-pork-belly-confit/

And since a certain Santa Claus left a sous vide kit on my doorstep last year it all seemd to fall in place for sous vide confit pork belly!

I've used many different brines for pork belly but always return to Thomas Keller's recipe for same in his Ad Hoc at Home cookbook...this time being no exception. I laid down the skin on pork belly, again using TK's brine recipe, for 10-hours. Then, along with about 1/4C EVO (could have used duck fat but forgot I had some in the fridge...next time :)), I vac sealed the brined belly portion and put it in the sous vide bath overnight before coolong it, in the bag, in a ice bath and then into the fridge for its rest.

Sorry no new photos but trust me the resulting confit pork belly, after searing 1" cubes in a cast iron then a 15-minute oven session at 450*F, was every bit as tasty as the lard confitted pork belly I used to make.

Just had some this morning with sourdough waffles. All :) here! Had to share for those that similarly enjoy confit pork belly but looking for a shortcut to the process...but not the texture and flavor of the final product!

Nearly everyone here knows I have a pork belly fetish :D. Family stayed with us over the holidays and since they too are porcine lovers I thought it would be fun to hit their plates with some pork belly confit; flat out my favorite method of preparing pork belly...all things bacon included :)

The brining of the raw belly is the easy part. But given real pig lard is impossible to find around here and cost prohibitive when I do find it, relative to the ~gallon needed to confit even 1/2 a belly, I went searching for alternate means of preperation.

I've previously tried confitting pork belly in olive oil and although its a little less expensive than real lard and a little easier to work with it still left me in search of a simpler method; but one that would not sacrifice texture and flavor of the final product.

Enter sous vide! I found this guy that already embarked down this path and was kind enough to share his results: http://darindines.com/2012/03/28/sous-vide-pork-belly-confit/

And since a certain Santa Claus left a sous vide kit on my doorstep last year it all seemd to fall in place for sous vide confit pork belly!

I've used many different brines for pork belly but always return to Thomas Keller's recipe for same in his Ad Hoc at Home cookbook...this time being no exception. I laid down the skin on pork belly, again using TK's brine recipe, for 10-hours. Then, along with about 1/4C EVO (could have used duck fat but forgot I had some in the fridge...next time :)), I vac sealed the brined belly portion and put it in the sous vide bath overnight before coolong it, in the bag, in a ice bath and then into the fridge for its rest.

Sorry no new photos but trust me the resulting confit pork belly, after searing 1" cubes in a cast iron then a 15-minute oven session at 450*F, was every bit as tasty as the lard confitted pork belly I used to make.

Just had some this morning with sourdough waffles. All :) here! Had to share for those that similarly enjoy confit pork belly but looking for a shortcut to the process...but not the texture and flavor of the final product!

I need to try this. I have 2 sous-vides now. We are having salmon tomorrow night and then I was going to go fishing for new recipes. This one will have to be on the list.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom