The Buzzz build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pablo,

Please explain, I'm not seeing it.

The lampholders in the originals were totally rusted out because the PO put them on upside down and water couldn't escape through the little drainage holes in the rubber gasket.

People put them back together upside down so the water enters the light housing, but cannot escape...

Stumpo,

Great update, you've been busy. I like everything you're doing.

I would definitely make a guard for the filter. I've got to do the same.

On the swingout, What's your idea on bracing. Would it work to move tire closer to the spindel and not have a long swing arm? One day I'll have to make one and I'm always kicking around ideas.

Good Job!

Thanks Scrapdaddy! not too sure how I'm going to do it yet, was thinking of just welding some plate to the back of the bar where the spindle mounts and tying it back to the chassis somehow....
I did toy with the idea of moving the wheel closer in but I just love the look of having it in the middle...

Wow its been ages since I've updated, Mud's even changed its look....

I believe the markers on the rear are just reflectors but have often wondered about converting them to indicators....

Anyway apart from wondering what'd be good to do to the bus I haven't really got much done as of late....have been super busy with moving house and have also been real busy with work so haven't found much time to give to the buzz....Oh and I've also been using any spare time to work on my new BT50 which I also took up to Fraser last week (rained just about the whole time and had 20-25knot winds which sucked)

Did start welding together a snorkel for the buzz which I've just about finished now...also mounted a strut to the rear swing out tyre carrier (trying to get the front and rear bar + snorkel finished so I can finally get it all powdercoated).
Sort of think I may have over complicated the snorkel but hey it'll work...
P1010285.JPG
P1010286.JPG
P1010294.JPG
P1010284.JPG

Anywho got some pics including fishing the mouth of a creek on the one day of sunshine I got up at Fraser island...will take some more of the snorkel this weekend and hopefully take the buzz out for a bash instead of the BT.....

I have been thinking about drive train lately and was wondering if that diesel is much louder than the 2f and does it drag on those long up hills like tha 2f?

I have been thinking about drive train lately and was wondering if that diesel is much louder than the 2f and does it drag on those long up hills like tha 2f?
Its pretty noisy but then I don't have any carpet or sound deadening whatsoever...I think the 2H might be slightly noisier being a diesel, I just remember the 2F in my old FJ40 had a real loud fan noise.....

How did you cut that hole in the fender for your snorkel? It s perfect!

Holesaw did the job, cuts a perfect hole just need to take your time so it doesn't grab....was 92mm diameter.....

Well as it just so happened I found a set of full diffs (front and rear, both with ARB lockers) off a HZJ75 on gumtree for a price that I just couldn't turn down.
I was always planning on doing a rear disc conversion down the track as well as swapping in a 5 speed either from a 60 or 75 series so I figured that with the HZJ rear end I could have the best of everything - rear discs, full floater, ARB locker and a handbrake (which I'd not longer have with a 5 speed)...
Had a bit of time this arvo so I stripped the rear end apart which wasn't pretty.... P/S hub nut was hardly on the spindle which may explain the chewed out metal on the rear of the hub and also the stripped thread on the tip of the spindle, all wheel bearings were totally shot, brake calipers were totally shot - looked like one came off at some stage and got milled down by the inside of the rim, internals of the handbrake assembly were pretty caked with grease to the point where I couldn't even make out the individual parts...pretty much had no grease in the parts where you wanted it and heaps in the parts where you didn't want it.
On the upside the locker seems to be in alright condition, am hoping to get the centre to my diff man this week so he can check it out...

As for the front diff assembly it looks to be in much better condition but haven't stripped it down yet. Was initially going to just sell it but am now thinking of modifying it to fit into the bus. Had a quick measure and the spring perches on the 55 housing look to be roughly 10mm narrower either side... the main hurdle with the front might turn out to be the shock mounts....
With the spring perches on the rear diff the mounts on the 55 housing look to be roughly 20mm narrower either side...will get it measured properly once I clean it all up....

P1010298.JPG

The spindles also had a fair bit of tarnish or even corrosion on the machined surface. Anyone know if its repairable? and also if its going to be an issue?? Have attached a pic to show what it looks like so any advice would be great...
Also took a snap of where the snorkel is currently at...

P1010304.JPG

P1010303.JPG

P1010305.JPG

Stumpofj40,

Looks like the bearing surface is good, on the spindle. I'd just clean it up and use new seals, of course. Looks like it took in some water.

Snorkel is coming along. Does it get paint when done.

Stumpofj40,

Looks like the bearing surface is good, on the spindle. I'd just clean it up and use new seals, of course. Looks like it took in some water.

Snorkel is coming along. Does it get paint when done.

Spot on there - water definitely came out when I pulled the hub off...luckily there was no water in the housing itself, figured that the hub seals were shot and water got in from sitting in the paddock. Anyway am glad the spindles are ok!
Snorkel will get powdercoated, am thinking of going a flat/matt black to match the front and rear bars...

Another question - am going to cut and re-weld the spring hangers on the rear housing to suit the 55, should I rotate the pinion angle at all?? I'm not running a crazy lift, its only 2.5" max and the angle of the driveshaft isn't huge. Am just curious if there's any benefit?

If you rotate the pinion up, I am pretty sure you need to run a double-cardon joint in the shaft up at the t-case.
If I am correct, flanges need to be parallel for regular u-joints.

Thanks Pablo, I ended up just keeping the factory angle in the end...
Also welded some mounts onto the housing today so I can attach the 55 sway bar links and keep the sway bar in action... Am hoping to get the housing, hubs, steering rods and a few odds and sods off to the powdercoater next week.
Some progress, sorry about the crappy pic...

P1010308.JPG

P1010317.JPG
P1010318.JPG
P1010320.JPG
P1010314.JPG
P1010319.JPG
Well I thought I'd post up some pics of the progress I've been making on the bus, slow progress but none the less its moving forward....
I've just about got the new rear end together (pretty much just have to press some new studs into one hub and am waiting on ARB locker to come back next week) and will hopefully get it fitted in the coming weeks but I totally shifted direction this weekend and bought a Tigerz 11 12000LBS winch, so I spent all today modifying the front bar so it'd bolt up. Also took the snorkel off to get coated and cleaned up some HJ60 steering knuckles for the ever pending 60 series P/S conversion....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom