Have An 80. Thinking 100 But Have Questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
I have an 80 (well, an LX450) & really like it. I have no intentions of getting rid of it but thinking maybe getting a 100 for my wife. I can do just about any repair work to my 80 (except rebuild tranny or engine) but paranoid the 100 is too 'advanced' for me to wrench on. So my questions are:
Does the 100 have the same longevity as an 80?
Does the 100 have the same dependability as an 80?
Is the 100 overbuilt (strength-wise) like the 80 is?
Does the 100 have expensive known common problems/issues?
Is the 100 as easy to work on as the 80?
For those of you that have owned an 80 & a 100, which do you prefer?
Specific year(s) of the 100 to avoid or seek?

Thanks for yall's input!

Having owned and wrenched extensively in the past on two 80's and on my current 100, I can assure you there is no substantial difference in "wrench-ability". I would say:
yes
yes
yes
no, but expensive can be a relative term.
yes
I like my '04 a lot.

Check out the forum FAQs and spend some time with search. You'll get more than enough info.

1. Does the 100 have the same longevity as an 80?

Yes. The 2UZ is built very well and doesn't eat head gaskets like the 1FZ. The pesky heater hose issue is traded for the not pesky at all heater hose t's.

2. Does the 100 have the same dependability as an 80?

They'll have different problems but they're both reliable. The 100 is more complex in some ways but still very dependable. There are plenty of 300K+ 100 series out there. And second and third owners at 200K+ willing to make large investments.

3. Is the 100 overbuilt (strength-wise) like the 80 is?

How is the 80 overbuilt? The solid front axle? The frame design?

4. Specific year(s) of the 100 to avoid or seek?

1998-1999 had a two pinion front diff that is weaker than the four pinion front diff introduced in 2000. 1998-1999 the rear e-locker was an option although no front locker was available. 2000+ have the ATRAC system.

2003+ have the five speed auto. Some 2003+ came without navigation and touch screen climate controls, but those are rare and very desirable. Malfunctioning touchscreens are common and given the number of processes condition on the touchscreen, they must be fixed ASAP. $$$

All years of the 470, AHC was standard. Unless the vehicle was meticulously maintained, plan for expensive fixes to the AHC suspension.

3. Is the 100 overbuilt (strength-wise) like the 80 is?

How is the 80 overbuilt? The solid front axle? The frame design?

All years of the 470, AHC was standard. Unless the vehicle was meticulously maintained, plan for expensive fixes to the AHC suspension.

The 80 is overbuilt in every way compared to any other vehicle it's size/age. After owning many IFS's, none a 100 though, I can't imagine the IFS being anywhere near as strong as the 80 front axle. How often do people break the IFS while wheeling, or is it not a common problem? Thanks.

Most of the issues re. IFS and wheeling usually involve the weaker two pinion front diff.

What is the plan for this rig?

If your not rock crawling hard core or doing the toughest trails the 100 is easily more comfortable for long journeys / adventures on road and off. Buy a cheap high mile 80 for the big flexin routines. I had done 6 1000+ mile round trips in my 80 and while decently comfortable after getting my 100 a week ago it's bigger inside for family, faster, more comfortable riding, and has the more modern thing going for it if that's a + depending how you look at it.

The plan will be as a daily driver for my wife but mild/medium offroad with light rock crawling. Will run 33's w/a 2"ish lift. So get the 2000+ without navigation(the electronics scare me). Is the AHC system removable?

The AHC system is removable, but don't assume you will have to replace it right away. There are some on here who hate the system because they have had an issue or two. There are many others who like the system. I currently have 167k and have never had one single issue with the system. It's all about PM. I am running 33's with the system for what it's worth. No lift needed, when it's time to off road, just hit he switch to raise it up. Plus I like the idea I can lower it for my older dog, so it's easier for her to jump in. Just my .02

Yes. It just takes more time than a standard suspension swap since there are more things to remove. Tons on this in the FAQs.

The AHC system is removable, but don't assume you will have to replace it right away. There are some on here who hate the system because they have had an issue or two. There are many others who like the system. I currently have 167k and have never had one single issue with the system. It's all about PM. I am running 33's with the system for what it's worth. No lift needed, when it's time to off road, just hit he switch to raise it up. Plus I like the idea I can lower it for my older dog, so it's easier for her to jump in. Just my .02

LNL makes a fair point. If you keep up the PM, the AHC lasts longer. But be prepared for sticker shock on replacement parts. Swapping in a new AHC system would cost as much as I paid for my one owner, dealership maintained LX. So... OME it is!

Last edited:
Just so we are clear, I am not saying you should swap a new AHC system, if you found a LX that required it. I agree with elhefe that the cost is not worth it. I was just saying don't assume you will have issues with an AHC system. The only thing my system has required is new fluid and she rides like she is brand new.

They are pretty reliable vehicles. As far as overbuilt, the front end is torsion bar independent front suspension similar to the late 80s and early 90s toyota trucks. It handled well in those and does the same in this. The AHC I think is a waste for most ppl-toss it and put in normal stuff and maybe some airbags in the coils if your going to tow some. Its also freakin expensive. Engine is reliable but you do have to replace the tbelt, seals, and waterpump every 90k. I would say its not as overbuilt as the 80 considering the independent front suspension. Their are a lot of electrical items that can go bad, and if they do, it will be pricey, very pricey unless u get junkyard parts. Engine is super reliable, tranny is pretty reliable I have only heard of a few with problems.

You will spend more $ maintaining the 100...IFS/steering rack and big 90K work making up the lion's share of the difference.

90K PM work, labor to R&R the starter and low hanging alternator are other differences that add to the cost of maintaining a 100 (abbreviated alternator life typically only shows up for those that repeatedly get axle deep at water crossings...)

The rear axle bearing system requires infrequent PM/overhaul and not many, due to tools required, will be done by the DIY'r...but when it comes up its also more $$ than overhauling the full floater on later 80's.

As the others wrote, the timing belt and water pump must be changed at around 90-100,000, or you'll be sorry. Apparently my water pump wasn't changed on mine when the TB was done, so it began leaking, and had both changed again (would have done it myself but was feeling lazy). The really ugly surprise was the master cylinder failure while driving cross country, even after I'd had the brake fluid twice flushed. That's a really expensive fix. The 80 got me through almost 200,000 trouble-free miles with routine, but meticulous, maintenance.
The 100 is many times more comfortable, quiet, etc., but the 80 is a real genuinely tough truck. Better looking too. Plus I'd rather have a cloth interior in the 100 like my 80 has. Leather may look better, but cloth is more durable and comfortable.
All just my $.02 of course.
Ned

Lots of well-qualified responses here.
I'm still a new 100-series owner, but I come from 11 years with an 80.

Poke around a 100-series and you will find that (with the exception of the front end) the chassis is very similar to an 80. Same layout, same basic approach to arranging the bits and pieces, and some of the bits and pieces are either the same or slight variations on an 80. It's a Cruiser--no question in my mind.
The front end is different, and I'm still familiarizing myself with it. From what I've gathered here, it's strong and will not catastrophically fail, but does require maintenance and replacement of worn parts. 80's have leaky inner axle seals, 100's have leaky CV boots. 80's have steering sector shafts that fail, 100's have steering racks that fail.
The complex electronics are the biggest liability in my opinion, but you can't escape them in modern vehicles. I figure they will cause problems at some point, but I also figure that they are Toyota electronics and will cause fewer problems than average. Even the wiring on my 80 abraded, corroded and caused electrical gremlins.
The V8 with the 5 speed tranny is a pleasure to drive. If you DD your 80 at all, don't drive your wife's 100 or you will be jealous.

Buy mine, living and working 350 miles away and it's sitting in my garage in Birmingham, AL. You would be impressed with condition, extras and maintenance. 99 with 153,000 miles.
Would be sinful to let it sit there for the next year or two. Wife drives it around every week but needs more tlc.
Sure do miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom