hi lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my cruiser, now I'm starting my recovery gear build up. Looking at the hi lift xtreme, but what size should I get. 48 or 60". Here's my truck specs, 35 in tires, ome lift, don't know what size. I'll be going to 33 in bfg mud terrains soon though. Any gear suggestions go with it, chains d rings and such? Grades and sizes?

IMG_20140306_111438.jpg

Get the long one and keep it inside unless you have no rain or dont complain when its rusted.
A base would be close to necessary and that chain and hook gizmo seems very useful.

You don't have any really good places to jack from on that truck**. The Lift Mate attachment with the web straps and hooks that goes in the wheel holes might be your best best for lifting, but you'll also need a jack stand to go under the axle so you can remove the jack and then the wheel. You really need to use a jack stand anyway. You do have some, right?

The length of the jack will really matter most if you lift from a place that has to unload the suspension before the tire leaves the ground. Go longer if you can. Be careful, though, because if you lift from a side and the jack or the truck shifts then the upper part of the jack will meet the body.

The red plastic base is nice to have but you can make something similar out of 3/4"-ply or layers of 1/2". Also get the handle keeper if you can't figure out how to use a velcro wrap around the handle and through the jack.

The Extreme model comes with the attachment for the top to secure a chain, attach a D-ring or use as a spreader. You can do all but use as a spreader with the basic model. I've used mine to pull stumps way more than lift my truck. Never used it to spread.

Somebody gave me the base plate and Lift Mate. That was some $$$. FYI...a factory bottle jack does NOT fit in the baseplate cutout.

Those tires look pretty new in the pic. Why the change to 33's?

**because of this, you might want to get a bottle jack for general lifting and use the high lift for its other uses (winching, spreading, etc).

--john

You don't have any really good places to jack from on that truck**. The Lift Mate attachment with the web straps and hooks that goes in the wheel holes might be your best best for lifting, but you'll also need a jack stand to go under the axle so you can remove the jack and then the wheel. You really need to use a jack stand anyway. You do have some, right?

The length of the jack will really matter most if you lift from a place that has to unload the suspension before the tire leaves the ground. Go longer if you can. Be careful, though, because if you lift from a side and the jack or the truck shifts then the upper part of the jack will meet the body.

The red plastic base is nice to have but you can make something similar out of 3/4"-ply or layers of 1/2". Also get the handle keeper if you can't figure out how to use a velcro wrap around the handle and through the jack.

The Extreme model comes with the attachment for the top to secure a chain, attach a D-ring or use as a spreader. You can do all but use as a spreader with the basic model. I've used mine to pull stumps way more than lift my truck. Never used it to spread.

Somebody gave me the base plate and Lift Mate. That was some $$$. FYI...a factory bottle jack does NOT fit in the baseplate cutout.

Those tires look pretty new in the pic. Why the change to 33's?

**because of this, you might want to get a bottle jack for general lifting and use the high lift for its other uses (winching, spreading, etc).

--john

Thanks for the info john, I do plan on a bottle for general use. The hi lift for special cases. I do plan on mounting it inside also, and I have 2 jack stands. The tires do look good, maybe a year left in them, they've got some rub wear on the outer most tread due to getting up in the fender. I like bfg and something a little smaller will fit better, and I want my truck to drive easier. Front bumper also coming soon

Get the longer jack for sure. If you don't like part of it, you can always cut it off, but you can't add any.

Land Cruisers are notorious for flexing the suspension and not lifting a tire with the shorter Hi Lift.

I would not pay the premium for the "extreme". That's marketing gibberish. The extra stuff it comes with you basically don't need. The 60 inch cast jack will serve you well.

Store the Hi lift in your garage, not on the truck. Only put it in or on the truck when you go off road. If you store it on the outside of the truck, for sure it will be rusted junk when you need it. Part of your Hi Lift kit should be a bottle of lube spray anyway.

One last Hi Lift tip---the best Hi lift, is always the one on your buddy's truck. Then you can leave yours home.

Your rear shackles appear to be mounted both upside down, and backwards. You might re-check those.

Get the longer jack for sure. If you don't like part of it, you can always cut it off, but you can't add any.

Land Cruisers are notorious for flexing the suspension and not lifting a tire with the shorter Hi Lift.

I would not pay the premium for the "extreme". That's marketing gibberish. The extra stuff it comes with you basically don't need. The 60 inch cast jack will serve you well.

Store the Hi lift in your garage, not on the truck. Only put it in or on the truck when you go off road. If you store it on the outside of the truck, for sure it will be rusted junk when you need it. Part of your Hi Lift kit should be a bottle of lube spray anyway.

One last Hi Lift tip---the best Hi lift, is always the one on your buddy's truck. Then you can leave yours home.

Your rear shackles appear to be mounted both upside down, and backwards. You might re-check those.

Thanks for the tips also. I've heard that a few times about my shackles, will it be easy to fix them? And how. I'm totally new to 4x4 and large vehicles and this kind of suspension, so excuse my lack of knowledge haha.

If I had a buddy with a truck, I'd be trying to convince him to buy one too for sure haha.

I've used and still use the 48" in jack on a 40, 55, 60, and now my 100. I never leave home with out it. Ever. It has gotten me out of trouble a few times. Lifting and lifting while a the suspension flexes isn't always good. You can ratchet strap the axle to the frame to keep it from drooping or lift if from the wheel with an attachment from Hi-Lift.

That being said, I would probably opt for the 60" version if buying new, but I wouldn't ditch mine for a 60".

I bought the 48" but in retrospect probably would've gotten the 60". Got stuck this past weekend had to use the jack on the slider to lift up the driver side and slide maxtrax/TRED underneath and almost topped out.

Also, if potentially using as a winch the extra distance will be welcome addition.

The only negative to the 60" is it weighs a bit more and might be more difficult to store.

I've got more of the 48 inchers around the shop and the barn than I can keep track of. Why? because they just kinda get tossed in the corner not used and forgotten until I have to move one out of the way to get something.. All of them that I or the guys I run with use are the 60inch models.. would not mind a 72 inch model. Have considered cutting up one of the 48 inchers to extend a couple of 60 inchers.

"extreme" and all that silliness is just marketing crap.

A base is a good thing. A chunk of 1'2 inch plywood will work. I tend to stow my jacks externally and they are always on the rig. I try to keep the mead wrapped in an oily cloth and that a plastic bag. I consider an oil can or at least a can of wd40 a required jack accessory.

Mark...

002.JPG
Here's a base I made out of 3/4" plywood,as mentioned earlier. One solid piece with another piece, square cut out, and screwed together. Only used it twice. Both times changing a flat on soft dirt.

Disclaimer I live in a pretty dry climate. If you use any type of oil to lube your jack dirt it coat it and help gum up the works. Here we use straight water to lube while jacking it does work wonders. I will recommend you understand how the jack works because sooner or later your going to have to help one or the other pin release manually

Hi Lifts scare me. I have one and I hope I never have to use it. They are just like conceiled carry. Don't pull it out unless you absolutely have to and make damn sure you know exactly how to use it.

As stated above, be sure you know how to use the jack before you NEED to use the jack. Take it out and use it at home in the driveway. These things are a little different to use, and along the edge of a highway, or in mud and loose rocks is not the place to be figuring out its little quirks.

60" ( I carry both on the trail ) and buy the wider base plate or make one a handle donut or equivalent . A quick release pin in the base helps so you can through bolt a wider footprint .
a repair kit and a cover if you keep it outside on your truck . Hard mount it somewhere convenient to access.
I have a couple 60's and the bumpers need lift points , make them. Weld on 1/4" or greater wall 2x2 box tube or something to insert the tongue of the jack in . Whatever your bumper is but not factory ! Wheel chocks of some kind 2 of them ! And some spray lube for the pin on your jack cause when it is dirty it sticks .

Practice in different conditions ! And go on YouTube and watch all the highlift videos before you do . Treat it like the lifting device it is operator error that is the problem . Be safe and take every precaution . Have fun
Mike, moose

--john

I had the lift mate for a while but it would only work on the front (I think). the rear brake drums prohibited the hooks from sticking through the cut outs in the rim. So I never really used it.

Before I got aftermarket bumpers and sliders as jack points, I installed some jack points under the front and rear bumpers. Please see this post: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hig-lift-jack-fit-to-fj60-bumper.61928/#post-705189

48" unless you plan to winch with it. You have 4WD - pull onto more level ground if you need to change a tire. The top 12" of a 60" HiLift are derated due to the height. Both my wheelers have 35" tires and a 48" has always been enough for me.

IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1016.JPG I like carrying the Hi- Lift inside and disassembled since it only takes minutes to reassemble. Found a good place to store my 48" bar in my 80 series. Bolt it to the front bolts on the middle seats. Tried the outside bolts first, but fits better as shown in pic. Just find some longer bolts. 1.5" - 2" works fine. I have an extension tube tie-wrapped to it to help with leverage on the handle if needed.
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG

I have the 60 inch, store it on the outside(on the Arb front bumper), lube it twice a year with WD 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom