What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the coilovers in now for the 3 link.Another weekend to align and do some more trimming, then I can wheel it again. This has been a long journey and I can already tell I’m going to have to relearn how to drive it

IMG_6627.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

Installed some new-to-me door cards all around. New window regulators/motors from Cruiser Outfitters, added some sound deadening to the inside of the doors, new vapor barriers, new window seals along the inside of the door panels, and some One Stone armrests. Also added an Alpine Apple CarPlay compatible radio with a 45x4 piggyback amp, and a little powered subwoofer. Slowly knocking the ugly off the old 80!

View attachment 3602570

View attachment 3602571

View attachment 3602572
Did Cruiser Outfitters have OEM regulators and motors ($$$) or some decent aftermarket ($) ?

Tested max pitch angle the hard way; 37 degrees was unpleasant As the passenger front tried to climb the small rock in front of it the truck was pretty determined to break the shiny side up rule. Winch line to the roll bar saved the day.

PXL_20240406_011533830.jpg

PXL_20240406_011552256.jpg

PXL_20240406_011706442.jpg

Last weekend my battery got loose. Was snugging it up today to prepare for camping next weekend and I realized I lost my oil cap 🤣
20240410_145757.jpg

I only drove 30 miles highway with no cap. Hope I didn't hurt anything..... the local Napa said they can get me a new one tomorrow. Sorry Mr T but this time I'm not going oem.

Yeah, not bad. Just redrill the one stone backing plate to move it out 13mm. They're made for a 70 series so they aren't a perfect fit but they're pretty close. I'll need to use some 3M tape once I figure out where they'll be positioned fore/aft. Right now I'm still fine tuning that part.
I would think by now they would make them specifically for the 80 so there's no hassle. Thanks

View attachment 3602626
Wow just found out that my ‘ol girl has had a history….but would have never noticed (inside or out) until I considered letting her go. How I actually acquired it is a bit of a story in itself. But seems she’s been poured out.
Ran her over 700 miles this weekend with over 60 miles of backcountry roads and she didn’t miss a beat. After 5 years of ownership I find it funny how this new information seems refreshing to me. I see a 4” lift in the foreseeable future and a whole lot more getting out there.

View attachment 3602640
View attachment 3602660
It doesn't say why it was a total loss? Just could be at that time they thought fixing whatever it was wasn't worth it...parts could be expensive. I found the same thing out about my CE but I don't care at all. I can't figure out why they would have done it in my case either...there's absolutely no evidence that I can see why it was labeled that.

It doesn't say why it was a total loss? Just could be at that time they thought fixing whatever it was wasn't worth it...parts could be expensive. I found the same thing out about my CE but I don't care at all. I can't figure out why they would have done it in my case either...there's absolutely no evidence that I can see why it was labeled that.
Hey, thanks for the response. I think you are exactly right. I think this was an insurance play. They called it very minor damage and on the same day they labeled total loss. I was under the rig today and inspected throughly and cannot find any trace of damage to the frame, inside of the fenders, all parts look as aged as all other parts. The only suspect is the rear bumper, it does look newer and the center does not have the 4 bolt holds for a pintle hook. But that is it. I had been under it numerous times but never bothered to look out for any signs of damage. Now I have with spare tire out and looks clean. Also, what makes me think it was an insurance play is because my title does not list as salvaged so not deemed totaled by DMV is my thought. So I am happy about that.

Again, thanks for sharing.
IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

Moab Prep. Installed some pneumatic inner beadlocks. Even with external beadlocks, I was still having issues burping air or full on blowing the inner bead on these bias ply Maxxis Trepadors. They have a really stiff sidewall so you have to air them down to 8-10 psi to get some flex, which caused the inner bead issues (17x9.5 wheel).

Not fun to mount, but looks like they should work. Got rid of the dynabeads, I will never run those again. Apparently the local discount tire will balance beadlock wheels so going to go that route instead.

Who says hi lift jacks are uneccessary

53646546305_96526f34c1_c.jpg

Dynabeads got into the inner bead. Probably causing some of the burping issues.

53646546300_819ba494c7_c.jpg

Worst part is rounding out the shape edge on the inside of both beads. Messy.

53646425969_5abb65d5d9_c.jpg

53646083101_dc271187c1_c.jpg

53646425954_d17c4a09d4_c.jpg

Hey, thanks for the response. I think you are exactly right. I think this was an insurance play. They called it very minor damage and on the same day they labeled total loss. I was under the rig today and inspected throughly and cannot find any trace of damage to the frame, inside of the fenders, all parts look as aged as all other parts. The only suspect is the rear bumper, it does look newer and the center does not have the 4 bolt holds for a pintle hook. But that is it. I had been under it numerous times but never bothered to look out for any signs of damage. Now I have with spare tire out and looks clean. Also, what makes me think it was an insurance play is because my title does not list as salvaged so not deemed totaled by DMV is my thought. So I am happy about that.

Again, thanks for sharing.
View attachment 3604026
View attachment 3604027
On second thought now that I think about it....your rig is basically junk so I want to be charitable and offer you $200 for it 🤡😜😁. You should keep it forever...that's what I am going to do. 👍😊

Moab Prep. Installed some pneumatic inner beadlocks. Even with external beadlocks, I was still having issues burping air or full on blowing the inner bead on these bias ply Maxxis Trepadors. They have a really stiff sidewall so you have to air them down to 8-10 psi to get some flex, which caused the inner bead issues (17x9.5 wheel).

Not fun to mount, but looks like they should work. Got rid of the dynabeads, I will never run those again. Apparently the local discount tire will balance beadlock wheels so going to go that route instead.

Who says hi lift jacks are uneccessary

53646546305_96526f34c1_c.jpg

Dynabeads got into the inner bead. Probably causing some of the burping issues.

53646546300_819ba494c7_c.jpg

Worst part is rounding out the shape edge on the inside of both beads. Messy.

53646425969_5abb65d5d9_c.jpg

53646083101_dc271187c1_c.jpg

53646425954_d17c4a09d4_c.jpg
I'm about to add some Coyotes how bad was the install?

I'm about to add some Coyotes how bad was the install?

Not terrible. It just takes a lot of time and beats up your hands. The first wheel took me like 3 hours, then maybe 1.5 hours each for the other 4. Definitely a full day project. Get a proper set of tire irons to make life easier. Coyote has a real good install video online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom