Oil in Distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_6567.JPG
Does it mean the distributor is bad if there is oil inside it? Can it be repaired or must it be replaced?

The truck is running rough but I haven't had a chance to drop it off with @Trollhole yet.

What @SmokingRocks said.

It literally takes 15 minutes TOPS to change. If you can tie your shoes you can do this. Search for the distributor o ring part number and how to do it. Google TexasKnowHow. He did a video on it.

when the Dist. O-ring goes bad and needs replacing ( exterior leak) and its leaks onto the alternator over time has anyone here needed to replace the alternator? as in it went bad?

What @SmokingRocks said.

It literally takes 15 minutes TOPS to change. If you can tie your shoes you can do this. Search for the distributor o ring part number and how to do it. Google TexasKnowHow. He did a video on it.
Are you sure that the O-ring which you guys are referring to will keep oil from migrating to the inside of the distributor. I recently replaced one and the inside of the distributor was dry.

Are you sure that the O-ring which you guys are referring to will keep oil from migrating to the inside of the distributor. I recently replaced one and the inside of the distributor was dry.

That's what I'm wondering. I know about the dizzy o-ring, but I thought oil on the inside necessitated replacement. I guess I'll replace the o-ring and find out.

I thought there was a different seal inside the distributor that would cause an internal leak. The o-ring makes it leak down the side of the block, but not internally. I'm pretty sure I saw that in a Texas know how video

I thought there was a different seal inside the distributor that would cause an internal leak. The o-ring makes it leak down the side of the block, but not internally. I'm pretty sure I saw that in a Texas know how video

Pretty darn sure...

Now you have me doubting myself. One of you search and find out. I'm at work and trying to beat a deadline so I can go home so don't have time to look.

90% of these leaks are from that o-ring if its internal then the shaft race is shot and you need a new distributor.

90% of these leaks are from that o-ring if its internal then the shaft race is shot and you need a new distributor.

That's it! And it cost $4 and 15 min of time to replace the O ring.

Make sure you mark the way the distributor comes out. Watch the video on how to do it. It's simple.

The old o ring will be hard as a rock.

He talks about it at 19:20, whether or not he's right, I have no idea. It makes sense though if you look at the distributor. The o-ring is on the outside, not sure how that would help keep the cap clean.

He talks about it at 19:20, whether or not he's right, I have no idea. It makes sense though if you look at the distributor. The o-ring is on the outside, not sure how that would help keep the cap clean.

Then that would be the race that @SmokingRocks was talking about. I had oil in my distributor. I replaced the o ring and don't any longer. Maybe it was wicking up in to it under the cap?

Sure sounds legit and very toyota'y. Either way I'd bet that seal is a pain to get at, cost to replace might just be easier to bear.

Then that would be the race that @SmokingRocks was talking about. I had oil in my distributor. I replaced the o ring and don't any longer. Maybe it was wicking up in to it under the cap?
The race thing makes sense, but it shouldn't wick. Unless the seal in the cap is messed up. I guess it's possible though.

as races wear the shaft gains more play and wears more on seals. Even if that play is in the microns. So even if its replaced it could fail again sooner than it would if the race was factory fresh.

The race thing makes sense, but it shouldn't wick. Unless the seal in the cap is messed up. I guess it's possible though.

I replaced the cap at the same time. I'm fairly confident that it was original (aka 312k miles and 23 years old). ANYTHING is possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom