OME Lifts discussion for the FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, needed some advice on recently installed ARB stock height suspension on my 1995 80 series . As expected the ride is firmer but i think there seems to be an issue with the front springs. The front springs seems to have not much of a gap within the coils and they seem compressed without much room to "spring". When i brake the vehicle doesn't lean forward ( You know when you suddenly brake ). The engine is a 1HDT and there's also a light bullbar that came with the vehicle originally.
Not sure if im correct or not but it seems i might need to replace the front springs with heaver ones?....or its just me and this is how things are supposed to be. The vehicle also seems to be sagging more on the front end vs the rear after i replaced the suspension.

This is what i installed:
1991-97 Toyota Land Cruiser /
LX450 - Old Man Emu Stock Height Replacement Kit

2 x OME 2861 Front Coil Springs
2 x OME 2862 Rear Coil Springs
2 x 60018 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
2 x 60020 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 x SD24 Steering Damper

The 861 862 works on gas 80s, but maybe not with diesel? You may need something else if the diesel is considerably heavier than the 1FZ...but it may not be because the gasser is a :censor: heavy:worms:

Someone here will know or maybe in the Diesel Forum?

If the truck is no longer lunging forward when you brake, that's a good thing, because worn out springs could've been allowing that to happen, which is not good for several reasons. Installing fresh coils restores similar-to-new, improved performance.

Here's my problem I had 850 springs in front 2.5 lift and 863 rear 2.5 lift on my 95 cruiser with A springs installed on the US driver side, left driver side and B on the passenger.
The truck leans to left so I look online and the OME site states that in Australia the A goes to drivers side to compensate for driver weight because the springs for the driver side are supposed to be slightly higher but here is the dilemma the weight chart online shows the A spring is shorter and the B spring is taller so talk about confuse the hell out of a guy by this.
The A spring is suppose to be the taller as its the one they tell you to install the driver side and in the US to swap the these so A is on left driver side and B is on passenger so what the hell is up either the info on spring height is wrong or my springs were marked wrong from factory because after paying to have these installed with A on my driver side and B on passenger side. I now have to have springs swapped because the A really isn't taller and the B is actually taller like the height chart says but the install instructions are wrong. Confused as hell! Can somebody make sense of this for me.

Here's my problem I had 850 springs in front 2.5 lift and 863 rear 2.5 lift on my 95 cruiser with A springs installed on the US driver side, left driver side and B on the passenger.
The truck leans to left so I look online and the OME site states that in Australia the A goes to drivers side to compensate for driver weight because the springs for the driver side are supposed to be slightly higher but here is the dilemma the weight chart online shows the A spring is shorter and the B spring is taller so talk about confuse the hell out of a guy by this.
The A spring is suppose to be the taller as its the one they tell you to install the driver side and in the US to swap the these so A is on left driver side and B is on passenger so what the hell is up either the info on spring height is wrong or my springs were marked wrong from factory because after paying to have these installed with A on my driver side and B on passenger side. I now have to have springs swapped because the A really isn't taller and the B is actually taller like the height chart says but the install instructions are wrong. Confused as hell! Can somebody make sense of this for me.

Yes, thank you that was my conclusion after seeing the spring chart that showed me the B spring was taller. Thanks for the conformation. Appreciated very much.

Huh? Just did mine this morning, and but the B on the driver's (right) side, front and back.

From this document:

COIL SPRINGS: A & B springs are used to compensate for uneven vehicle weight distribution. 'A' type springs are generally higher in free high than the 'B' spring. Individual coil specifications are listed in the back of this publication.​

While on the bench, "B" was clearly taller! Page 136 of the same document concurs:

image.png

Seriously confusing.

A.

Further, from the Slee site:

Lately some springs are labeled A and B. A is for Australian driver side, so in the US this should go on the passenger side and B should go on the driver side.​

So does that mean the taller "B" spring is for the non-driver side of my RHD truck? That seems counterintuitive.

The taller spring goes to the side that has the most weight with battery, gas tank, spare tire etc...

The taller spring goes to the side that has the most weight with battery, gas tank, spare tire etc...

And they change the labelling around just for extra fun?

So my HDJ81 has batteries on both sides, spare slightly to the right, my large behind on the right. So taller coil goes on the right. Front and rear?

OME also makes Trim Packers if you need just a little correction. My understanding is that you can use up to 15mm on top of a spring (5+10mm).

OME80PF05
OME80PF10
OME80PR05
OME80PR10

I honestly didn't pay that much attention to the coils labels .. but rather put the taller on my side. which it's me 180 lbs and the gas tank.

I gotta bring this thread back, cause my suspension bothers me.

I got B spring for DS, here in US.

First the measurements.
DS fr....21.25"______ PS fr...21.75"

DS rr....20.75"______ PS rr...20.5"

I turned my front DS coil 1" so it sits about 0.5" higher and it's still lower than front PS, with 30mm spacers up front. Otherwise front DS would be at about the same height as both rear ones. Front PS would be way too high by itself. Without compensating bu turning the DS spring, it would be lower than PS by 1 inch.

Should I just swap the front coils?

some pics.

2016-09-26 19.57.32.jpg

2016-09-26 19.58.28.jpg

2016-09-26 19.58.39.jpg

I think there is a mistake in this concept.

Taken from Slee's site:

"A is for Australian driver side, so in the US this should go on the passenger side and B should go on the driver side."

Since the DS (no matter left or right side) is the heavier side, the stronger spring should be on the DS no mater if it is LHD or RHD.
Therefore A spring should be on DS (US) and B on the PS.
For Australia A spring on the Right side of the Vehicle which would correspond to the DS there.
In other words, A should follow the driver.

I have to try this swap out and see how it compares. Just not now when the temps outside are 100F+.

Found this info:

"3 .Consider swapping your coil springs side to side if your dealing with a side to side lean. If your low side is on the "A" spring side, consider swapping the coils. This has been done with satisfactory results, and it's easy enough to do."
Cruiser Outfitters

And this on a Jeep forum:

"Front: 'A' spring goes on driver's side to counteract the weight of the driver.
Rear: 'A' spring goes on passenger side to counteract the rotational torque of the vehicle when accelerating. youknow how the right rear side of the jeep sits down when you accelerate from a light."

Fitting Old Man Emu Springs (“A” and “B” labels) anyone know... - JeepForum.com

From my posts above: B is the tallest coil, A is the spring that provides the most lift. Right?

Why ARB did that, I have no idea. But I measured them on the bench, and the B coil was taller.

Last edited:
The most important statistic for OME coils is resale value :D

From my posts above: B is the tallest coil, A is the spring that provides the most lift. Right?

Why ARB did that, I have no idea. But I measured them on the bench, and the B coil was taller.

I should be right in my thinking then. Maybe the B spring has more of the softer coil on it which makes it taller, but does not provide enough support to lift the truck up for that corner.

I'm so confused now lol. So the taller one doesn't have the most lift since the spring rate is lower? I planned on putting the taller ones on the ds.

I strongly believe "something was lost in translation" here. If A is for Australian DS, it should not stay on the same side when it crosses the pond.

A should follow the DS no matter where you are. I really believe this is the case. There are a lot of threads on many forums discussing the same thing over and over, because people make the same mistake in taking one "bad" info as the rule and then they are not happy with the results.

I've check the label on my springs (out of shear OCD) a few times for the past year... maybe hoping it would be reversed by magic one day. Yeah, I still got the B spring on the DS (US) and I'm not happy.

IDK. I have OME springs installed the same as SLEE recommends and I do not have a lean. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom