'79 fuel tank options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ones manufactured in Canada are supposed to be the best available. I used one of them on my '79. I welded a drain bung in the bottom like the original tank had. With the quality of today's ethanol laden gasoline, an occasional drain to eliminate water buildup might be good insurance.

140.jpg Then there is this choice, tougher than a metal tank, no welded seams, no gas smell inside vehicle, greater capacity than interior tank. This is the Downey nylon fuel cell that goes under rear of vehicle, PM me if interested???

View attachment 1137730 Then there is this choice, tougher than a metal tank, no welded seams, no gas smell inside vehicle, greater capacity than interior tank. This is the Downey nylon fuel cell that goes under rear of vehicle, PM me if interested???

Nice tank but biggest issue is it requires rerouting the exhaust on the 75 and later FJ40. If your doing a restore anyway a good choice. 79 the tank was no longer in the cab so fumes would be from the emissions inside cab which would still be there if your keeping the emissions. The 79 tank is already over 22 gallons. 73-78 had a much smaller tank. I personally will just keep the stock tank in my 79 as the easiest option. Already have a spare and seen very nice tank out of 84 HJ47 diesel (same tank) that probably got crushed by now. One of the few advantages of the AZ desert is finding rust free parts.

I thought that the tank was the same in all models not just the FJ40 from 79+. It also says 83 which follows when the 40 series was dropped from the US market. Everything I seen on the 84 diesel troop carrier tank looked like the 40 series tank. This does look like a good option minus the drain. My 79 is not currently registered and the 82 tank is still mounted to the tub. Both of these I have removed the drain from both to be sure they don't have condensate inside and rust.

I bought this tank from Cool Cruiser this year...
Gas Tanks - FJ40/45

The tank is excellent. Perfect fit. The 'free' sending unit I did not like. It looks really cheap and the holes barely lined up with the tank holes. And the way they lined up made the arm hanging in the tank to be what I thought was not the correct position, sort of hitting the higher section of the tank bottom, not the deep point. I called cool cruisers and the customer service person basically said too bad on the sending unit. They told me it didn't matter where the sending unit pointed. I sent them pictures of my old one and new one and they stuck to their guns and wouldn't replace the 'free' unit. So, they have lost my future business due to that. Plenty of other places to buy parts.

But you can see how it goes if you like.

79 FJ40, I BOUGHT MY TANK FROM TPI BOB. IT WAS A PERFECT FIT.
METAL REPLACEMENT FOR OEM, MADE IN CANADA, NO BUNGEHOLE IN BOTTOM OF TANK.

TO INSTALL I DID HAVE TO DROP REAR DRIVESHAFT AND REMOVE FRONT SPRING SHACKLES ON REAR DIFF AND JACK THE DIFF
BACKWARDS TO GIVE MORE ROOM TO DROP AND INTALL NEW TANK.

IT SEEMED DAUNTING AT FIRST, BUT IT WASNT THAT BAD OF A PROJECT.

NOTE: I WOULD REPLACE RUBBER FUEL LINES AT TANK AND GET NEW FILLER HOSE. IM SURE YOURS ARE ROTTEN LIKE MINE WERE. AND NEW CLAMPS! SINCE I WAS ALREADY IN THERE I DECIDED TO GET A NEW SENDING UNIT TOO.

OHH AND ONE MORE BIT OF ADVICE........ CLEAN OUT NEW TANK.....BEFORE INSTALL!!! I MISSED THAT STEP AND PAID DEARLY, I HAD TO PUT ON ABOUT 4 FUEL FILTERS BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL CLOGGED WITH CARDBOARD AND PACKING PAPER DUST!!!

View attachment 1137730 Then there is this choice, tougher than a metal tank, no welded seams, no gas smell inside vehicle, greater capacity than interior tank. This is the Downey nylon fuel cell that goes under rear of vehicle, PM me if interested???

I am interested in this tank..... Post is year old, hoping to speak with you

The ones manufactured in Canada are supposed to be the best available. I used one of them on my '79. I welded a drain bung in the bottom like the original tank had. With the quality of today's ethanol laden gasoline, an occasional drain to eliminate water buildup might be good insurance.

Do you have a contact for the Canadian manufactured tanks? Thanks

I am interested in this tank..... Post is year old, hoping to speak with you

eBay #262141665203 for the tank from Downey. He also sells a skid plate (eBay #252378877727).

I bought my tank (same tank I think) from marksoffroad.net.

Skid plate from thetojoman (Downey) -- eBay.

I sourced a sending unit from fuelsafe.com

I had/have some problems with fitting it behind an axel that was pushed back a bit and in front of a 4plus tire carrier. I had to cut the front of the skid plate to clear the shocks and the back of it to clear the hitch receiver in the tire carrier. It still needs work but no gas smell inside.

I also can't bring myself to cut a hole for a relocated fuel fill. I've routed from the stock fill through the wheel well... my lift is high enough that there's no rubbing. It's a work in progress.

Definitely a project that created many new problems. Unforeseen from a newbie (like me).

IMG_8439.JPG

Thank you.... I figure there will be some modifications, I am moving my rear axle back.....

There are none of these modifications required when installing the Downey rear fuel cell on a "stock" rig. Evidently the bottom edge/floor of the rear crossmember could be trimmed out to let the fuel cell mount more rearward (into the crossmember) when the rear diff has been moved rearward, but this could not exceed a couple of inches???

none of these modifications required when installing the Downey rear fuel cell on a "stock" rig.

3. Yes... a righteous aluminum skid plate for the Downwy/Marks tank

I didn't intend to make it sound like I was unhappy with the tank or the skid plate. It's a great tank and I agree, the skid plate is righteous!

I'm a first time 40 owner and bought a truck with several mods - something I never new would impact so many decisions I've made. It's been a learning experience.

The tank has been a welcome change for me. It's a great product. Awesome mod for me.

Also, those who move the rear diff rearward could remount the rear shocks onto the front side of the rear diff (just like Toyota 4WD Mini Pickups) to gain more tank room on the back side (Downey fuel cell is 18" from front wall to rear wall).

I also can't bring myself to cut a hole for a relocated fuel fill. I've routed from the stock fill through the wheel well... my lift is high enough that there's no rubbing. It's a work in progress.
I just ordered a tank and skid plate from Downey. Could you post pics of how you routed the fuel fill line to the stock fill. Thanks,Tommy

Could you post pics of how you routed the fuel fill line to the stock fill.

Yes but it'll be a few days until I see it... It's a temp setup with 2 90 hose elbows 2" inch id 90 Degree Fuel Filler Hose SUPER ELBOW, 32" Long.

a 2" 30 deg exhaust pipe from O'reilly and some hose clamps...

My plan is to have a shop weld exhaust pipes for 90% of it and use 2 short hoses for the connections at the fill and the tank. (I don't know how to weld -- a serious handicap when owning a 40).

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom